What is going on... I don’t understand | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What is going on... I don’t understand

Dec 22, 2015
We’ve had some tough times and some terrible times. I’ve sat and watched, listened and followed to when we have been on the highs and lows, but this “low” feels different. I’m not for one minute thinking we will go down, cause I honestly don’t think we will, but the standard of football, the passion and pride hasn’t been seen!

I think we have quite a few issues that are working against us and have questions I would love to know the answer to.

What does Adams see? Why has he not changed the formation or the team! Dyson, Fletcher, Peter Grant, Ainsworth & Wylde haven’t featured. Maybe they aren’t good enough and if that’s the case why do we have them on the books and continue to pay wages to them?!? That must be 5k+ wages a week on what? We have players that aren’t ready for 1st team and they are called the youth and U23’s!

Why are we playing only local sides in pre season? I get we want to support and help with local sides, but I don’t pay £400 a season to support F’ing Callington! I want us to play against decent sides and at home so Adams can see what his best side is with his best players! Somthe team can be challenged before the league starts!

Does Adams honestly believe that he has brought in quality and not quantity? I can’t decide if he thinks the likes of Canavan, Wooton, Ladapo, Dyson, P Grant, C. Grant and Riley are better than previous or he is just hoping 1/2 are going to come good and he has gambled! Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan of Ladapo’s work rate, but running around a lot doesn’t equal goals or points. Slew had all the running same as Lapdapo but just isn’t good enough.
We have systematically (imo) signed lesser quality players to replace what we have lost. Examples being Reid, McHugh, Ozzy, Sonny, Luke & Nelson

Adams... man of mystery! Today he said “we should have won 4-1” WHAT? What does he see that majority of the fans don’t? Is Nanc and Wotton stood and agreeing or actually telling him he is mental! We are 1 dimensionally useless! Lump it to the striker hope he can hold it up and or we get the 2nd ball... I can’t see any other tactical decision than that. Today we completely bypassed our midfield. We didn’t string any phases of passing play until Lameiras came on and actually created something going forward.

Wooton, Canavan and (sorry) Edwards. All 3 of these lads are CR*P! Last year we were saved by the quality of a Vyner and Bradley! Can tackle, can’t header, can’t track play and are generally rubbish!

Or is the twist that Adams arms are tied and this is literally the best bunch he could hope for with the budget he has been given?

I’m not putting my tin hat on cause I’m sick of paying so much money to watch Argyle play decent football 4 months after the season has started and watching us play negative, boring football. Particularly at home. I’m not an Adams out, but I’m am calling for change! Please Adams stop being stubborn and change the team/formation and mindset of this team. Attack and adapt!

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
This is the combination of the Brent/Adams era. Ones going & we can’t afford to get rid of the other.Weve never built on what we had the season before, we restructured. The one year contracts may have served us well in league 2, but there coming home to roost in league 1. Each season we’ve had to let players go we wanted to keep.
We have to divert more money into the playing side of things, that’s the responsibility of the board, it looks unfortunately that we’ll be doing that from league 2.

Sep 2, 2006
Paignton
It’s clear to me that the players that have come to the club this year are very sub standard. This to me is one of the worst teams/squads I have ever witnessed as an argyle fan since the 1990’s.
I would gladly welcome back Miller, Jervis, mellor, Mchugh, Hartley and Tanner to name but a few, add to that the quality we have had such as Bradley, Nelson, Threlkeld, Diagaraga, Vyner and Mckormick.
All these players are superior to the ones we have now.
Is it a case of when a manager first comes to a new club he knows from experience who he wants to bring in to do a job. Then after a couple of seasons some move on and some become surplus to requirements and all of a sudden you no longer know the old tried and tested players and are left cold hoping to sign players you don’t know that much about? Just like this season!
I feel that Derek is a good tactician but has signed some really poo players because he has run out of trusted contacts and personal recommendations. This also explains Carey’s form, because he is literally trying to play with players of inferior quality. Let’s be honest, GC10 is our only hope of creativity on the pitch in every game!
It happens in local league football......i.e. when a local manager runs out of football contacts/mates from down the pub he ends up signing hunches he knows nothing about and when they turn out to be poo it’s game over.
Anyway, just my thoughts of what I think is happening here:(. Dereks players have flown the nest (apart from gc10) and he has run out of quality players to sign that he knows, and know and want to play for him.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i don't understand why some of our youth talent never get a look in.i would play fletcher and sangster for the rest of the season and gradually introduce others.we have better players at our disposal than some of the new signings.i also feel it was a massive mistake to get rid of callum rose. :furious:

Mar 18, 2006
The most worrying thing for me is the fact that the new players weren’t signed just before deadline day, and could therefore be described as panic signings because that’s all we could get with the budget.
The players were signed very early, which would indicate to me that the majority were Adams main targets. That being the case, we are in trouble .

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Excellent post, Plymouth85Green. Nail. Hit. Head.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Plymouth85Green":1bw50mmj said:
We’ve had some tough times and some terrible times. I’ve sat and watched, listened and followed to when we have been on the highs and lows, but this “low” feels different. I’m not for one minute thinking we will go down, cause I honestly don’t think we will, but the standard of football, the passion and pride hasn’t been seen!

I think we have quite a few issues that are working against us and have questions I would love to know the answer to.

What does Adams see? Why has he not changed the formation or the team! Dyson, Fletcher, Peter Grant, Ainsworth & Wylde haven’t featured. Maybe they aren’t good enough and if that’s the case why do we have them on the books and continue to pay wages to them?!? That must be 5k+ wages a week on what? We have players that aren’t ready for 1st team and they are called the youth and U23’s!

Why are we playing only local sides in pre season? I get we want to support and help with local sides, but I don’t pay £400 a season to support F’ing Callington! I want us to play against decent sides and at home so Adams can see what his best side is with his best players! Somthe team can be challenged before the league starts!

Does Adams honestly believe that he has brought in quality and not quantity? I can’t decide if he thinks the likes of Canavan, Wooton, Ladapo, Dyson, P Grant, C. Grant and Riley are better than previous or he is just hoping 1/2 are going to come good and he has gambled! Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan of Ladapo’s work rate, but running around a lot doesn’t equal goals or points. Slew had all the running same as Lapdapo but just isn’t good enough.
We have systematically (imo) signed lesser quality players to replace what we have lost. Examples being Reid, McHugh, Ozzy, Sonny, Luke & Nelson

Adams... man of mystery! Today he said “we should have won 4-1” WHAT? What does he see that majority of the fans don’t? Is Nanc and Wotton stood and agreeing or actually telling him he is mental! We are 1 dimensionally useless! Lump it to the striker hope he can hold it up and or we get the 2nd ball... I can’t see any other tactical decision than that. Today we completely bypassed our midfield. We didn’t string any phases of passing play until Lameiras came on and actually created something going forward.

Wooton, Canavan and (sorry) Edwards. All 3 of these lads are CR*P! Last year we were saved by the quality of a Vyner and Bradley! Can tackle, can’t header, can’t track play and are generally rubbish!

Or is the twist that Adams arms are tied and this is literally the best bunch he could hope for with the budget he has been given?

I’m not putting my tin hat on cause I’m sick of paying so much money to watch Argyle play decent football 4 months after the season has started and watching us play negative, boring football. Particularly at home. I’m not an Adams out, but I’m am calling for change! Please Adams stop being stubborn and change the team/formation and mindset of this team. Attack and adapt!
:clap:

Stubbornness bordering arrogance I’m afraid. Changing things will admit he’s done wrong.

Jul 12, 2016
To add to Johndelve's comment, Adams stated that some of these players he had been chasing for sometime before they signed!

Oct 1, 2013
My god... some people have very short memories.
Yes the current crop of players is poor but to wish for the likes of Mellor, Miller, Tanner and Hartley is fickle beyond belief.

I would agree that times are tough but the night is darkest before the dawn and whilst they arent getting the results required the performances do at least have the embryo of a decent side.
(Defensive calamities aside)

Glass half full.... maybe

Sep 18, 2010
greenking83":3coal1of said:
Yes the current crop of players is poor but to wish for the likes of Mellor, Miller, Tanner and Hartley is fickle beyond belief.

I would agree that times are tough but the night is darkest before the dawn and whilst they arent getting the results required the performances do at least have the embryo of a decent side.

Your glass must be half full of some pretty strong stuff mate if you think we have the makings of a decent side!!

Cheers?

Oct 1, 2013
Superguy":32dwjal1 said:
greenking83":32dwjal1 said:

Your glass must be half full of some pretty strong stuff mate if you think we have the makings of a decent side!!

Cheers?

Just trying to highlight the knee jerk reactions of some.
To say this is the worst team they have ever seen.... did they not watch any of John Sheridans stint? Or Paul Mariners team?

Aug 11, 2013
I wouldn’t welcome back Miller Mellor and Hartley. Vyner and Dave weren’t our players to keep. Edwards has always looked solid to me and gets a few goals (our best chance was a well saved effort from him yesterday). If you looked at Cannavan and Woottons CV’s you’d be impressed. Cannavan promoted with Scunthorpe. Wootton a Liverpool and Manchester youth (and captain) with championship experience and once a £1m buy by Leeds. Personally I think there’s a few players who need to look at themselves not DA who is not a bad manager.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
greenking83":s030h92j said:
Superguy":s030h92j said:
greenking83":s030h92j said:

Cheers?

Just trying to highlight the knee jerk reactions of some.
To say this is the worst team they have ever seen.... did they not watch any of John Sheridans stint? Or Paul Mariners team?

That was different. Different circumstances surrounding the club. We were struggling off and on the pitch.

It’s was Adams decision to overhaul the squad and his signings. It all feels money related and when you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

How we can moan about budgets when he still has Wylde, Ainsworth, P Grant and Dyson havung not had a look in even thou we’re struggling as much as we are goes to show how poor his recruitment has been. He’s gone for quanity over quality.

The resigning of Fox is still baffling.

So the wages of Fox, P Grant, Ainsworth, Wylde and Dyson would equate to a decent figure. That figure could bring in a real pair of quality players to give us that edge through the middle or composure up top.

Cheap cheap cheap

Mar 23, 2008
oldage":3l02f6be said:
To add to Johndelve's comment, Adams stated that some of these players he had been chasing for sometime before they signed!
That's the scary thing, he's been here a few years and surely had scouted the likes of Riley and Wootton but hadn't spotted the fact they are not good enough? Look at Kenny Hackett at Pompey, a year to get his eye in and now really kicked on. If we had kept Bradley or found a decent replacement with a pacey partner we would have been fine. Instead we have an average and bloated squad of journeyman who don't look good enough. I'm sure if we get a win we will kick on but Adams has to take responsibility for another bad start.