Last Season/ This Season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Last Season/ This Season

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I'm not one for knee-jerking but on the evidence so far I am very concerned with our situation.

Last season I was never really concerned. It seemed to me that we had enough quality and a strong nucleus in the squad, but even I wasn't expecting us to do as well as we did. I think we overachieved in the end on the back of momentum - which actually served to create false optimism for this year.

But this season is different for me. Poor standards of preparation, too much early disruption to the team and most importantly I don't see where any one of the signings is improving on what we had before.

The defence play like strangers which isn't surprising because it's a different bunch of strangers every week. Midfield lacks creativity and composure because we dispensed with what we had too rapidly. And if we're playing a lone striker, Ladapo is not the answer.

IMO we should revert to more or less the front 6 we had last season. Fox might only give us an hour each game but his composure and experience is badly needed. With Fox, Lamerias, Taylor and Sarcevic in the team, we have more players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, short passing and interchanges that make Carey tick. I think the latter is suffering because there aren't enough 'footballers' present at the moment.

As for up front, Taylor has to play. The stats don't lie, poor spells at the start and end of last season and the beginning of this all coincide with his absence. His back to goal style provides a focal point for the team. I don't mind Ladapo - he works hard and offers something different but Taylor makes the team more fluid.

The back 5 is harder but we can't keep rotating and expect the players to get to know each other. So DA has to settle on a combination.

Back to basics for me. And introduce others more slowly - less disruption and less pressure on them.

Oct 31, 2015
Frank_Butcher":3tnvh8sf said:
I'm not one for knee-jerking but on the evidence so far I am very concerned with our situation.

Last season I was never really concerned. It seemed to me that we had enough quality and a strong nucleus in the squad, but even I wasn't expecting us to do as well as we did. I think we overachieved in the end on the back of momentum - which actually served to create false optimism for this year.

But this season is different for me. Poor standards of preparation, too much early disruption to the team and most importantly I don't see where any one of the signings is improving on what we had before.

The defence play like strangers which isn't surprising because it's a different bunch of strangers every week. Midfield lacks creativity and composure because we dispensed with what we had too rapidly. And if we're playing a lone striker, Ladapo is not the answer.

IMO we should revert to more or less the front 6 we had last season. Fox might only give us an hour each game but his composure and experience is badly needed. With Fox, Lamerias, Taylor and Sarcevic in the team, we have more players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, short passing and interchanges that make Carey tick. I think the latter is suffering because there aren't enough 'footballers' present at the moment.

As for up front, Taylor has to play. The stats don't lie, poor spells at the start and end of last season and the beginning of this all coincide with his absence. His back to goal style provides a focal point for the team. I don't mind Ladapo - he works hard and offers something different but Taylor makes the team more fluid.

The back 5 is harder but we can't keep rotating and expect the players to get to know each other. So DA has to settle on a combination.

Back to basics for me. And introduce others more slowly - less disruption and less pressure on them.

Hear hear

Nov 9, 2008
To be honest, last season was just as bad as this has been. Most Argyle fans I spoke to didn't see how we were going to get out of the predicament as we looked like we just didn't have the quality. It's the same now. What we did was change the defense, bring in a creative spark and look to attack more. That's just what we need now, but the problem is we can't change the defense, which was the foundation of all the rest of it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Last season we stumbled into the 4-2-3-1 formation that gave us our run. We also stumbled into the favoured players that gave us that threat up front.

Neither were the fortunes of hard work nailing that together. We chopped and changed time and time again until something clicked and went with it. Later on that season teams were becoming savvy to our tactics and nullified it accordingly towards the end of the season hence the reason we fell away. Injury’s duly played a part but only a part.

This season we’re trying to stumble across another starting 11, another suitable formation and another bit of good fortune.

How many times do we start a game and get so pinned back that we change formation again. We guess it and then see what the opposition do them react. What’s wrong with us forcing the opposition into that approach?

He’s a very reactive manager when he needs to be more proactive. That critical weakness coupled together with stubbornness/arrogance worry’s me.

Even if we do pull off this season and remain on L1 his tenure is almost spent in my mind and becoming stale.

He has to drastically change his philosophies, take a step back from all the other club related stuff he currently does and focus solely on this team and this league. He could also do with another hand in the training department but I’m sure his stubbornness/arrogance will prevail and prevent that from happening.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I find myself in an odd position.

The season so far has been terrible. We’ve not seen more than a glimpse of what we demonstrated for most of the second half of last season.

However I still feel that Adams is the man. Partly because I don’t see anyone else who would be better. Partly because he has proved he can get out of sticky situations. I’m not sure of my view of him as a man - certainly he has a bit of Marmite about him - but the results and some of the football have generally been excellent. He has only been a good thing for the club and I’m grateful for that.

Were we to survive this year and to start again poorly next season with Adams... I think that would have to be it though. Will we reach that point this season? I hope not.

Apr 5, 2008
How is it that Pompey finished just below us and have pushed on this season ,whilst we have gone back to being useless like the beginning of last season.

Everyone thought we would be aiming for a play off push from the start ,instead we are rock bottom ,no wins and not looking like winning any time soon.

It’s not acceptable if you ask me,many managers
would have been sacked in the same position,yet nothing is going to change on that front is it.

Sep 6, 2006
Centre Circle":2n8kkzuf said:

The season so far has been terrible. We’ve not seen more than a glimpse of what we demonstrated for most of the second half of last season.

However I still feel that Adams is the man. Partly because I don’t see anyone else who would be better. Partly because he has proved he can get out of sticky situations. I’m not sure of my view of him as a man - certainly he has a bit of Marmite about him - but the results and some of the football have generally been excellent. He has only been a good thing for the club and I’m grateful for that.

Were we to survive this year and to start again poorly next season with Adams... I think that would have to be it though. Will we reach that point this season? I hope not.

So you are seriously saying there is no manager who could do better than a negative stubborn arrogant bottom of the League manager?? And all this 'excellent ' football you have witnessed apart from 3 months last season is a figment of your imagination. Take it you don't go away very often!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
moles40":1j9sgd0y said:
How is it that Pompey finished just below us and have pushed on this season ,whilst we have gone back to being useless like the beginning of last season.

Everyone thought we would be aiming for a play off push from the start ,instead we are rock bottom ,no wins and not looking like winning any time soon.

would have been sacked in the same position,yet nothing is going to change on that front is it.

You realise that 1) Pompey are owned by an actual billionaire, and 2) we’re only eight games into the season, there’s plenty of time for Pompey to get a lot worse and us to get a lot better.

Unless you think the league table will look the same after 46 games as it does after 8, then drawing conclusions at this stage is daft.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Biggs":1dbm4dz4 said:
moles40":1dbm4dz4 said:

You realise that 1) Pompey are owned by an actual billionaire, and 2) we’re only eight games into the season, there’s plenty of time for Pompey to get a lot worse and us to get a lot better.

Unless you think the league table will look the same after 46 games as it does after 8, then drawing conclusions at this stage is daft.

Biggs get real ffs.

Why would Pompey emploded and Argyle run riot overnight?

Based on what?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
At this stage last season we'd seen an impressive performance at Peterborough, a comfortable win against Charlton and a good point & performance at Southend.

I've watched every league game this season, and sadly I think we're much weaker.

Oct 16, 2016
Cobi Budge":37m4gp0j said:
At this stage last season we'd seen an impressive performance at Peterborough, a comfortable win against Charlton and a good point & performance at Southend.

I've watched every league game this season, and sadly I think we're much weaker.

That’s absolutely spot on

There are far too many words spoken here at the moment. It’s very simple, players are not good enough

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Balham_Green":119ag04r said:
Centre Circle":119ag04r said:

So you are seriously saying there is no manager who could do better than a negative stubborn arrogant bottom of the League manager?? And all this 'excellent ' football you have witnessed apart from 3 months last season is a figment of your imagination. Take it you don't go away very often!

Your posts are so boring, BG. Trying to get a rise out of people at every opportunity. Dull as dishwater and half as imaginative. I shouldn’t bother responding, but no - I don’t think there’s a manager available at the moment who could do better.

I’ve seen plenty of excellent football over the last 3 years. Haven’t you?

Apr 5, 2008
Biggs":2onwoipz said:
moles40":2onwoipz said:

But what have you seen in Argyle that makes you think we can turnaround it again,at least last season we had actually won a game by now,plus injuries and red cards,what excuses are their for this pitiful start.

I can’t believe this. awful start TBH ,someone needs to answer some serious questions!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I can’t believe it either. I’m gutted and disbelieving in equal measure.

But... football changes so quickly, hopeless situations become winning runs. Winning runs become hopeless losing nightmares.

As I said in another thread, there will be teams right now who are flying, that will drop like a stone and maybe get relegated. Likewise, there are teams who can’t buy a win that WILL improve.

I feel it’s really important to stay calm and persist with the manager and players who blew teams away last season. Otherwise we’re ripping it all up and taking a massive gamble with someone who is probably (given DA’s record with an average budget) a worse manager.