New formation is key to getting through to January in tact | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New formation is key to getting through to January in tact

Aug 13, 2011
Given our obviously weakened defence I can't see how we can continue relentlessly with the same formation as last season and still expect to be in contact with the rest of the teams come January. Relegation could be looming. Relying very much on a containing game hitting teams on the break is something that you cannot do if this entails inviting pressure on a much weakened defence. It stands to reason, it won't work. I would therefore put it to Derek, in whom I still have faith as a good man-manager, to make the transition while there's still hope; to adopt a completely new approach, play two up front and ensure we compete at the opposition end of the field. Even if as a temporary resort until we can shore up the defence and more adequately replace Bradley, Threlkeld and Vyner in the January window. I have no idea why it happened, lack of scouting or research, or lack of money made available, irrelevant now, it is already patently clear the 'rearguard' replacements are proving under par at this level and won't provide the basis for his usual playing style to remain effective. Solution? Well, it has to be a case of trying to score more goals than the opposition until the January window arrives; by playing his best attacking options. It's this shift of emphasis that needs to be implemented to give us a fighting chance. I believe it means playing Carey with Lameiras back in starting games with Fox in midfield until another Tombs or Masaki can be drafted in and play Taylor with Ladapo up front. We therefore have to start playing a much higher line and go for goals. It wouldn't just make for a more exciting spectacle, we also need to do this to have a chance on maxing out on points. If we just defend deep trying to soak up pressure with this squad it is just slow death because we will concede and we will concede regularly. He has to find a way of lessening the pressure on those guys back there. In short, the current situation demands a drastic change in tactical thinking with immediate effect.

Aug 4, 2011
May also get more bums on seats. You might as well head for home the minute we go one down at present

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I don’t think he will.

I remember Gary Neville saying the biggest mistake you can make as a manager in a tough time is swapping formations and players all the time. Said something aviyt further confusing players.

If you have a formation and style that you believe in as manager then you have to stick with it and work hard to implement it when it’s not as effective.

I’m not sure if it’s down to players making the mistakes through confusion/fear or the manager not playing players to there positional strengths.

One thing I have noticed is that in we always look a man short in midfield beit Grant or OKeefe. The have a role that makes them so ineffective and I’m not quite sure what they are supposed to do.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
4231 (Ladapo & Carey on the flanks, Lameiras in the hole & Taylor up top)

or

352 (Use the natural pace of Moore & ASB by deploying them as wing backs)

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Attack is the first form of defence.

We are a better offensive team than defensive team and we need to go into games with a more positive approach.
It took DA until December to stumble across that last year and when we did we know the incredible results.

You would of thought he would of learnt something from that but obviously not which makes me seriously question his ability.

Might not be a popular view but I see him as an arrogant and stubborn Scottish (insult removed by Admin) full of excuses and it's never his fault.

We got lucky last year and that won't be repeated this year.
Anyone who thinks it will and that we will be in anything but a relegation dogfight all season is deluded IMHO

#weakerthanlastseason

Aug 11, 2013
Can't agree a more attacking approach will work. Teams will break away with pace and our defenders will be left in their wake as we lack pace at the back (as well as defensive quality). We might get a few more goals but I can only see us shipping more than we are already !

I think we're stuck until January by which time it may be too late.

The best DA has been able to offer is that "things will change - they always do in football" - as if there will be some divine intervention. We need some new bodies from somewhere.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
samjones":23ciykyd said:

We are a better offensive team than defensive team and we need to go into games with a more positive approach.
It took DA until December to stumble across that last year and when we did we know the incredible results.

You would have thought he would have learnt something from that but obviously not which makes me seriously question his ability.

Might not be a popular view but I see him as an arrogant and stubborn Scottish (insult removed by Admin) full of excuses and it's never his fault.

Anyone who thinks it will and that we will be in anything but a relegation dogfight all season is deluded IMHO

#weakerthanlastseason

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
samjones":3etfkrmr said:

You would have thought he would have learnt something from that but obviously not which makes me seriously question his ability.

#weakerthanlastseason
We still have SEVEN players who were ever-present in the team that went on that great run last season – Sawyer, Fox, Ness, Carey, Taylor, Sarcevic and Lamieras (plus Joel Grant and Songo who also made appearances) and a ‘keeper that most would agree is as good as Matthews – and in Ladapo we now have a good alternative up front. So I don’t think we’re that far off – certainly not the hopeless basket case some are making out. We didn’t just “get lucky last season”. They are all very good players at this level who just ‘clicked’ – we had (and still have) a solid, ball-winning midfield that could also ‘pick a pass’ and two very skilful flair players inter-changing behind a good target man who held it together & riled opposition defences. What we’re missing of course is the sound defensive base we had in Bradley, Vyner & Oscar – a base that also could launch attacks.

So YES – we desperately need the defence sorted out either thru’ loans or organisation & hard work on the training ground & tactics. YES – we need Taylor & Sarcevic properly fit again (and now Ness) and YES Carey, Fox and Lameiras have not shown anything like the form they did on that run last season (although I think that’s simply due to the rest of the team not functioning). But I fail to see how it’s deluded to expect that players that have already shown they are capable of stringing together impressive performances in this league can do so again with some work and maybe a couple of additions. This is where Adams has to earn his salary ….. and I expect him to.

Definitely—going at teams from the start has to be the way forward. If our defenders are weak, then the ball needs to stay as far away from them as possible. We’re bottom. We’ll remain there if we go into many more matches looking to defend a 0-0.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I agree, let’s attack. we looked better last season when we attacked.