ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
themightykeithfear":3ckqncuo said:
cant see this so :

much better, very enjoyable game. Macey was great good pen save, tho kicking was dodgy.

Defence, still problems shame sawyer was injured as he was playing well we do need one CB with a bit of pace, tho they all gave it everything.

Songo what a star , MOM and going to be a cult figure, was everywhere, threw himself at everything and showed some nice touches too. The problem was that the attacking format of the team left a big gap between Songo and the forward thinking players so Charlton dominated here, and they are a very good side, certs for the play offs I reckon.

Attacking, GC10 nearly back to his best , spraying lovely passes , a couple of shots, you get the feeling it will come together soon. Reuben unfortunately was v quiet, Joel G was exciting at times, he really can beat a man, but we need much more from him. Freddie I thought was pretty poor, he really isn't good in the air we really could have done with Taylor today bringing other into play.

Well we're now odds on for relegation, but nearly time to have a top 6 bet, 2 tough games up next but I think we'll be out of the relegation spots by xmas.

Thanks for the report, good to hear.

October’s games (bar Barnsley) look winnable on paper, but we’re going to need to score a hatful to start reversing the goal difference. Oxford, Burton, Wimbledon, Gillingham, Scunthorpe are all fixtures we should be setting up for to win by at least two goals. Went to Scunthorpe away last season, which was one of the worst away performances I have ever seen. A return of less than nine points from the month would be a serious worry.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That’s how I saw it too.

Also thought Carey looked on it again, even just his tracking back and encouragement to team mates was impressive.

Macey was great but you can see why he’ll struggle to make it at the top level, his distribution is...lacking.

Charlton are a good side, they have players we just can’t think about signing right now. Jamie Ward and Lyle Taylor are light years ahead of some of our attackers.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
The right wing was pretty evidently our weaker side.

We need to get the ball into the opposition box a lot quicker, we are taking too much time and too many passes to get the ball across.

For most of the game we were in for a result, but were battered for the last throws of the game and the goal concession was coming.

Agree Wylde was an influence on the wing.

But for gods sake leave a player on the halfway line when defending a corner to give us at least a chance of an out ball.

Nice save on the penalty.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Wylde was never on the wing to influence anything.....he played left back and did quite well.

Jan 20, 2004
Charlton fan I spoke to thought we were one of the better sides they've played this season and were unlucky to lose. (Don't know if he was just being polite)

TJH

Feb 1, 2018
Enjoyable game despite the result and league position - some good quality from both sides

Argyle carried a threat and competitive throughout but the goal had been coming. Sarcevic going off may have been crucial

Macey 6 - felt for him at the end after the penalty save but didn’t command his area from corners and was targeted which is a worry
Sawyer 7 - was looking solid. Defence missed his calming influence in the 2nd half
Wootton 6 - was doing ok until his injury
Edwards 7 - had a decent game, fully committed
Smith-Brown 6 - not entirely comfortable at RB but not exposed either. A decent back up option maybe but no Threkheld
Songo’o 9 - Excellent performance. Didn’t deserve to be on the losing side
Sarcevic 8 - Also very good, very positive every time he got it and did plenty defensively. We weren’t the same when we went off
Grant 7 - Good performance, had our best chances to score and create. Did well but could have been the matchwinner
Lameiras 6 - Some good touches, got around the field and supported Ladapo but not hugely influential
Carey 7 - Decent game, determined to make something happen and some quality moments. Didn’t always make the right decisions
Ladapo 6 - Decent performance. His running in possession means I can see why he’s keeping Taylor out. Some poor decisions in promising positions though

P Grant 6 - did ok, made some interceptions and cleared his lines. Doesn’t look like a commanding or pacey CB option so backup looks about right
Wylde 6 - did ok in an unfamiliar position. Thought J Grant could have released him on the overlap a few times. Could maybe be given more opportunities in that position when we are chasing a goal
Fox 5 - With this formation we needed a CM with more legs. Like him as a player but he struggled today

We look like a midtable team overall but some worrying signs. Inexperienced keeper, a defence lacking confidence / assurance, conceding after scoring and a late goal. A win soon is crucial - obviously. I’m still backing Adams and looks like the players are too

Jul 12, 2004
Yesterday was a million miles from last season's match at the Valley. I thought we played well and it was very disappointing that Macey flapped at that corner.

Which brings me to a question. Why are we so obsessed with short corners. It was plain that considerable damage was being done by Charlton's inswinging corners yet we tried just a couple. You would have thought that, having failed a couple of times with short corners, we might go for a whipped in effort. My only conclusion is that we do not have the skills to do this. Oh for a Ward-Prowse.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Ok. In the cold light of day. We had our moments. Going forward we looked threatening when we could get the ball in good enough positions. Which wasn’t often enough, particularly in the second half. We had some good deliberate play, but we lacked the pace and threat on the counter that they possessed and too often we were living off scraps in midfield, and losing a lot of second ball. Better, but not good enough still. I felt we lost momentum when Sarcevic went off. We needed to get Grant on the ball in better positions (ie wider) as too often he came in and was somthered by two or three. He still looked dangerous though. Defence is a massive worry. No pace at all. RB is a huge problem. And if Peter Grant is our back up at CB... oh dear. He didn’t do badly but looked every inch a stop gap. Macey clearly doesn’t like pressure on him in the box. He was fault for the first and slow to respond for the second. This feels harder as a turn around job than last year.

Nov 2, 2004
Good game.We were very unlucky to lose Wootton, Sercevic and Sawyer,all three had been playing well.In particular Wootton was again having a good game. Going forward today could prove to be a disaster,we are now left with Grant as our first choice,he did ok and looks like jock Morrison but the coaching staff clearly do not rate him.If they are all lengthy injuries and you add Taylor to the wounded it does not look good.

May 8, 2015
My second game this season after Coventry. I thought this was a much better display than was to be expected. Yes, there are failings in defence but a win or two will bring some confidence. This will be a hard season now but I think we'll be ok.