Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Has anyone noticed the potential new Paul Mariner?

Jul 10, 2011
Freddie Ladapo seems to me might be doing many of the aparrantly daft things Paul Mariner did before becoming skilled in ball control,heading,scoring,etc. I believe we have a gem here and I look forward to watching his development.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think he’s a class player personally..

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
He's been getting a lot of grief for missing so many chances. I can't remember Taylor missing as many, sure, but Taylor for all his strengths doesn't get into as many goalscoring positions.

I think if Ladapo is given a bit of time and patience, he'll come good.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
He has the makings of a good player, just young and inexperienced if you ask me.

Thing is he's learning quickly; his hold up play for example seems to be coming on leaps and bounds. With the Barnsley performance being particularly impressive.

Key is to start taking those chances, you can afford to miss a few sitters in the non-league as another chance will come along but at this level and being the only forward, you have to do better with the chances he's had the last 2 games. That said, to get in those positions to begin with is promising. It's a string in his bow that Taylor lacks.

Jul 10, 2011
Thanks for the replies. It is perhaps unfair to younger contributors but I was trying to discover whether other supporters had noticed the Mariner early style of play,such as jumping early for crosses and completely missing the ball (until it all came together and the rest is history).

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Well, I vividly remember Mariner's first few games for Argyle and, even though time might make the memory fonder, I can't agree with the OP. One thing, for me, that stood out with Mariner in those early days was that he was obviously a class above anybody else on the pitch. I doubt very much you can say the same with Ladapo.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i have calmed down after freddies miss on saturday and in the previous match at barnsley so i will reserve judgement.at the moment he is light years behind mariner.alex fletcher is a far better finisher than freddie.i would now start fletcher in every match for the rest of the season now we have stopped hoofing it and our two most creative players,graham and ruben are setting up the centre forward with chances.

Michael Fleet

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 15, 2003
I know he's been very frustrating to watch but after his positional play at Barnsley and his goal on Saturday I can see him developing into a genuine key player this season. He gets himself into goal scoring positions with his speed and strength which is half the battle. His goal on Saturday now gives him the launch pad to be a really decent striker for Argyle.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Steve Evans":95dmdsqx said:
i have calmed down after freddies miss on saturday and in the previous match at barnsley so i will reserve judgement.at the moment he is light years behind mariner.alex fletcher is a far better finisher than freddie.i would now start fletcher in every match for the rest of the season now we have stopped hoofing it and our two most creative players,graham and ruben are setting up the centre forward with chances.

Please no...

The role of a forward is far more than just scoring goals, especially when you're playing as a lone front man in our system.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
gru_mpy":1fvn6ul5 said:
Well, I vividly remember Mariner's first few games for Argyle and, even though time might make the memory fonder, I can't agree with the OP. One thing, for me, that stood out with Mariner in those early days was that he was obviously a class above anybody else on the pitch. I doubt very much you can say the same with Ladapo.

This.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
HC Green":hp7kqizu said:
Just a shame we weren’t able to sign Ladapo last season as Adams did try to get him.

Imagine if Freddie had come in when we had our injuries.. I really think we’d have made the playoffs then who knows what would have happened..

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
pepilgrim":k1fhk0pa said:
Thanks for the replies. It is perhaps unfair to younger contributors but I was trying to discover whether other supporters had noticed the Mariner early style of play,such as jumping early for crosses and completely missing the ball (until it all came together and the rest is history).

I think you must be confusing Mariner with Jimmy Hinch. From his first game with us Mariner had all the attributes. He did get better I admit, but his control from day one was a cut above.

Let's hope Freddie also improves. His work rate deserves more goals.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Ladapo isn't young. He's 25. He's already played for 15 different clubs. Gets himself into good positions but he's an awful finisher. Don't understand the hype