Thanksgiving and US market | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thanksgiving and US market

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Is on Thurs 22nd Nov.. given our history and links to this event could our marketing team do something extra to entice US based football fans to follow Argyle as their English club.

We’re home to Fleetwood 2 days later on the 24th Nov.. could we let US based IP addresses have free viewing of this game and advertise it?

Just a thought - I think we’re missing a real trick with our US based football fans who I’m sure would want a real reason to support a team in the English league.

Maybe rather than having a training camp in Holland we could go to the US for pre-season.

Given our owner and to be chairman in based in the US I think this is a revenue stream that could be explored.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Would that mean we’d have PK’s?

Incidentally November 22nd is the anniversary of JFK’s assassination.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
IJN":18q4e52r said:
Would that mean we’d have PK’s?

Incidentally November 22nd is the anniversary of JFK’s assassination.

Sorry what’s PK’s?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
There are some great facilities for training in the US. My team here in Canada Ottawa Fury for the last 2 years have gone down to Bradenton, Florida for a week's training at https://www.imgacademy.com/ this place has world class facilities and is used by many professional sports teams. But when Argyle start there pre-season which is usually around July 1st, the football (soccer) season is in full swing as the season over here starts in March and ends in November. So it would be very hard to arrange any exhibition games against professional teams over here. What I would suggest is maybe Argyle should loan some of their younger players to teams over here, there are a number of younger players playing in the MLS or USL.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
How about a friendly against MLS team New England Revolution, who play in downtown Boston?

There’s a link to Paul Mariner also who does commentary there apparently.

Maybe as part of the Mayflower celebrations..

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
JannerinCardiff":rvkcsck0 said:
How about a friendly against MLS team New England Revolution, who play in downtown Boston?

There’s a link to Paul Mariner also who does commentary there apparently.

Maybe as part of the Mayflower celebrations..

This would be my dream. The Kraft family who own The Revolution and The Patriots are, whatever the naysayers say, focused on community sport and to the best of my knowledge, Mr Robert Kraft likes a challenge and notwithstanding a previous fleeting interest in Liverpool FC, could be quite taken with the notion of moving Plymouth Argyle further up the football food chain, given the Mayflower links etc. Simon Hallett should make that call! :scarf:

Jan 27, 2012
Americans like winners. Those in the USA who like 'soccer' (and most don't) would probably be interested in the like of of Liverpool, Mancheter United etc only.

Argyle are small-fry, obscure regional football club that plays at a low level. The only people who are truly interested in this club are people from the area- ie) Devon and Cornwall.

I think the international appeal is somewhat limited- although Kagami was a massive fan apparently. Him and that Japanense footballer who was ' Argyle president' even though he never visited Home Park.

Sep 13, 2003
Thanksgiving... the most pointless "celebration" going.
What about focusing on our own fans instead of giving a load of yanks who don't care about the club free access to watch a game?

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
If it brings revenue into our club that helps us get to and stay in the championship then I’m all for it.. let’s use our history to our advantage ..

May 16, 2016
The US probably have more UK Football available to watch than we can legitimately gain access to. There's a fair few Yanks playing at all levels in Europe than you might have realised.

The MLS ain't 'all that' and still feels manufactured, but it's not as bad as you might think, it is now at least aligned to the rest of the World and is expanding at its own pace. The soccer scene outside of the big league does exist and hopefully the younger generation are starting to see it as their first choice sport.

Getting anywhere to adopt Argyle would take some seriously good marketing but why not ? It's worth a try. The big European teams in pre season over therehave crowds that could only be dreamt of over here, so there is a market, abeit at the very top end of the scale. Some are aware of the AFC Wimbledon story, so you never know. In fact, there was a load of Calgary (Canada plays in the MLS) kids at our last home game v AFC Wombles and they were obsessed with Akinfenwa, they were pleased to hear he was playing.

Having said that, I went to a game at the now defunct Tampa Mutiny and they had kids handing out flyers, the kids were in Burnley Away kits which at the time did make me question their judgment !

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Guiri Green you are aging yourself now the Tampa Mutiny played from 1996-2001 and then they folded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Mutiny

A new team emerged in Tampa called the Tampa Bay Rowdies they formed in 2008 and played in the NASL (North American Soccer League) until 2017 when they and my Ottawa Fury moved to the USL (United Soccer League) at the end of the 2017 season the NASL folded. Former England player Joe Cole is the captain of Tampa.