No free agents available? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

No free agents available?

Nov 16, 2017
Like a lot of other people on this website, I went to the Oxford game on Saturday.

Like a lot of other people on this website, I'd easily rank it as one of the very worst Argyle performances i've ever seen.

We're all acutely aware that we have a number of players within the current squad that simply are not good enough and (IMO) even those currently out injured aren't effective enough in their roles to change the outcome of enough games to stop us languishing at the bottom of L1 all season.

One position we're (again, IMO) weakest at is CB. Edwards has lost a vital few yards being out last season (to the extent that even with a significant head start, he's frequently getting beaten back to the ball which is obviously a massive issue when he isn't paired with someone quick enough to cover him). If Edwards was a safe bet outside of his lack of pace it might not be the be all and end all, but as we saw on Saturday he certainly has a mistake in him too. As for the CBs that have been brought in over the summer, I'm at a loss as to what DA was smoking when he signed every single one of them. I'd view all of them (based on what i've seen since they signed) as L2 squad players as best. I've focused on the CBs here as I believe it's the position that most needs immediate change, but i'm sure others will have similar opinions across pretty much all of the positions out there.

Do we wait until January to reinforce? based on our currently curve, January could well be too late!

We picked up Toumani D a year ago last week, do we forsee DA having one last roll of the dice and doing the same this season?

With a bigger squad this year, has DA spent all of the funds at his disposal I wonder? or is it just a case of no one being available?

Just interested to hear what other Argyle fans think on the matter.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’d argue that to me so far Peter Grant looks a competent L1 level CB (without being particularly showy) and yes we need a CB who is a bit quicker.

What I think we miss more than pace at CB is the ability to start an attack from deep positions. And that’s where Vyner and to a lesser extent Bradley are a big miss. Let’s be honest we’re unlikely to get another Vyner who is a championship level CB, so I’m just hoping that when he comes back that Canavan can be the partner for P.Grant.

We need to get rid of O’Keefe - he offers nothing. The 2 players key to us staying up to me are Taylor (only if fully fit, as he looked a shadow of himself earlier in the season) and really importantly, Sarcevic.. he plays and you will see the best out of Fox.

Anyway you wanted a view, that’s mine and that’s not trying to fix this by getting a free agent, but getting key players from last year fit and firing.

Mar 23, 2008
Looks like ex Norwich captain Russell Martin is without a club, that sort of signing would've amazing, maybe out of our reach but he's 32 now so you never know. What have thought Toums was out of reach before he signed.

Mar 8, 2016
How long is okeefe’s Loan deal? Him going back to Cardiff can’t come quick enough. Not sure about free agents but it’s painstakingly obvious that we need new centre backs. This will likely happen in January though.

Aug 15, 2015
Agree re the centrebacks. After my first game of the season against Peterborough, I knew straight away serious problems lay ahead when I saw Canavan and Wootton. I also can't get my head around how we downgraded so badly. It was immediately obvious that they were not good enough. Was very much like the home game against Doncaster last year - but the difference being last year's squad had so much more to come out.

I can't comment on Grant as I haven't seen him. Until we fix up at centre back, we aren't going anywhere. Again difficult for me to comment on ASB and Moore but what I do think from the couple of games I've seen on them - they have potential but they're not ripe and ready to perform consistently at this level just yet. A lot of mistakes in them and need a lot more football before they can be trusted and relied upon consistently (think Gary Sawyer).

So ultimately, we need to fix that defence (and Macey), who for me appears far too gentle for his size.

I'd also add that we are missing the Fox of last season. I predicted that he would fade this year, to responses from many telling me I didn't understand the game *rolls eyes*. Well clearly I was right. And we are missing him. He started all our attacks from Bradley and Vyner and controlled the tempo of the game.

I personally think those are the problem areas. As a sidenote we also need to get Taylor back in asap.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Shoenice":1phv39ej said:
Agree re the centrebacks. After my first game of the season against Peterborough, I knew straight away serious problems lay ahead when I saw Canavan and Wootton. I also can't get my head around how we downgraded so badly. It was immediately obvious that they were not good enough. Was very much like the home game against Doncaster last year - but the difference being last year's squad had so much more to come out.

I can't comment on Grant as I haven't seen him. Until we fix up at centre back, we aren't going anywhere. Again difficult for me to comment on ASB and Moore but what I do think from the couple of games I've seen on them - they have potential but they're not ripe and ready to perform consistently at this level just yet. A lot of mistakes in them and need a lot more football before they can be trusted and relied upon consistently (think Gary Sawyer).

So ultimately, we need to fix that defence (and Macey), who for me appears far too gentle for his size.

I'd also add that we are missing the Fox of last season. I predicted that he would fade this year, to responses from many telling me I didn't understand the game *rolls eyes*. Well clearly I was right. And we are missing him. He started all our attacks from Bradley and Vyner and controlled the tempo of the game.

I personally think those are the problem areas. As a sidenote we also need to get Taylor back in asap.

I stated at the time that not giving Bradley a better deal to entice him to stay was a mistake, but everyone said DA knows what he is doing.. look he’s brought in 3 new CB’s..

Feb 2, 2007
These will do!!!??????

Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa
Glen Johnson Stoke City
James Collins West Ham United
Darren Bent Derby County
Robert Huth Leicester City
Samir Nasri Antalyaspor
Victor Anichebe Beijing Enterprises
Mathieu Flamini Getafe
Scott Golbourne Bristol City
Peter Whittingham Blackburn Rovers
Lacina Traore Monaco

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I would love James Collins, a real solid CB..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Isn’t Traore about 6ft 7in?

Aug 12, 2017
JannerinCardiff":q47uridj said:

as a Welshman I love the guy, but his big weakness has always been pace, so I don't think he'd make enough of a difference to justify what i'd imagine would be a high wage

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Doumbe Dance Band":126msm9f said:
JannerinCardiff":126msm9f said:

as a Welshman I love the guy, but his big weakness has always been pace, so I don't think he'd make enough of a difference to justify what i'd imagine would be a high wage

I think we need a leader in there, someone like Bradley who can organise the defence whilst lead by example in being calm and assured in possession. Too often our defenders look panicked, they never seem to want the ball. You need a leader who can not only win the ball but calms everything down once he's got it.

I'd love it if we got Collins, we certainly need someone like him to spark life into our defence. Sadly though he'll be out of our price range.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think we should try 3 CB’s and 2 wing backs. Shore us up first and foremost and utilise the wingbacks in attack.

A flat 4 is almost suicidal for us whoever gets the nod to start.

Either that or pray for a minor miracle that teams that play us have an off day up front.

Oct 12, 2018
Compared to other clubs from League One, Plymouth defensive wingers are not on the bottom of the list "Speed and stamina", so blueprint about 3 Center Backs and 2 wingers is proper.

Jul 13, 2006
Kuba LFP":2pqz16i8 said:
Compared to other clubs from League One, Plymouth defensive wingers are not on the bottom of the list "Speed and stamina", so blueprint about 3 Center Backs and 2 wingers is proper.
Any chance of that in English?