Brief Synopsis!!! (Bradford)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Ness injury meant a reshuffle in defence with no other midfielder available and a stubborn refusal to drop Carey into a more central role, Songo'o took the midfield defensive role alongside Fox, with Sarcevic further forward. The line up looked negative. Edwards took Songo'o's place in defence. Tom Purrington came onto the bench alongside Sawyer making his comeback from injury.

2) Shocking start with Edwards making an error and Bradford profiting from Smith-Brown failing to clear. Argyle grabbed an equaliser through Ladapo finishing a Carey cross. It wasn't to last, Macey couldn't hold a firm shot and there were no defenders in site as Bradford thumped the ball home. Argyle had the bulk of the play and the better chances but couldn't finish whilst we gifted goals at the other end.

3) The defence was again absolutely hopeless with the exception of Canavan who did at least he look like he should be better. Songo'o had a terrible first 45, gifting possession to Bradford time and time again and unable to make the covering tackles routes to recoup what he had lost.

4) Adams booed off at half-time. Why were we set up so negatively? Why had he not put Carey in central midfield and left Songo'o at centre back? Why we're we not starting with Lameiras and/or Taylor? I expected to see changes at half-time as yet again we tried to recover a disastrous start.

5) No changes at all but that obviously paid off as Grant showed enough determination to ride 3 challenges and still have enough to bundle the ball home. Again it wasn't short lived as Songo'o missed another challenge and Bradford scored their third. Yet again Bradford took their time to get back after scoring and again the referee did nothing about it.

6) 20 minutes into the second 45 Adams finally made a change, Taylor replaced Edwards with Songo'o dropping into the back 4. Argyle could have had a penalty as Canavan clearly had his shirt pulled. Taylor them had a header tipped over the bar. It was from the resulting corner that Ladapo added his second and Argyle's third equaliser.

7) Into the last 10 minutes and Lameiras replaced Grant. Taylor was winning a lot of balls and we were playing much higher up the pitch. Adams switched Taylor first wide righr then wide left as he reverted to the formation that we started with but with Lameiras now in the advanced role. We lost shape and the positivity we'd gained.

8 ) No one really played well. Canavan was the best of the defenders despite an injury time error qhoxh almost gifted a fourth. Ladapo did well and made the most of some really poor service. Sarcevic and Fox worked hard without stamping their authority on the game. Edwards and Songo'o were the worst of the bunch.

9) Bradford were poor, we were worse. We need the transfer window open as soon as possible and a manager who knows how to get the best out of what we have. The defence is simply not fit for purpose. As with last season we are light in midfield reserves. We are in for a grim New Year

Matt Macey - 5
Joe Riley - 6
Ryan Edwards - 5
Niall Canavan - 7
Ashley Smith-Brown - 6
Yann Songo'o - 5
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 7
Freddie Ladapo - 7

Kyle Letheren - unused
Gary Sawyer - unused
Tom Purrington - unused
Peter Grant - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ryan Taylor - 6

Sep 28, 2003
London
Not good enough, I'm not being funny but that is a terrible result and anyone who tries to polish it up as a positive "we grabbed a point" kind of thing is an idiot, pure and simple.

If we can't win games like this, we're down. I think that in terms of expectation and speaking relatively, that's a worse result than the Luton game.

Still, the manager's doing a great job according to the Chairman!

Feb 2, 2007
First game I've missed that I could have attended today in a long, long time.

Very little faith in the Manager now, it's totally unacceptable. His selections and tactics are baffling. The only happy people must be the opposition.

Without a change of Manager we are down and it will take us a long time and a lot of money to recover in L2 again.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Shambolic. The board can make Adams untouchable for as long as they like, they run the club after all. I won't be paying to watch his team''s "performances" week in week out though.

Jun 15, 2013
If Hallett is going to sack Adams, Hallett should sack him now. New managers need some time to review the squad and bring his players in January.

Feb 2, 2007
hometown5":1fsd1zkj said:
If Hallett is going to sack Adams, Hallett should sack him now. New managers need some time to review the squad and bring his players in January.

I think he will dilly dally and then regret it in February when it's too late. Arguably with this squad it's already too late and any Manager coming in will need to start preparing for L2 anyway.

Sep 6, 2006
Thought offensively we played very well at times. And credit due for coming back 3 times. With that defence though we will need to score a lot of goals to stay up. Would like to see them again but Macey probably at fault for at least one of the goals with his parries. Not convinced that either of the initial shots were that powerful. Sunday League defending for third goal. You can't fault the spirit and effort.

Sep 6, 2006
Andy Holland":1qqagxb7 said:
Not good enough, I'm not being funny but that is a terrible result and anyone who tries to polish it up as a positive "we grabbed a point" kind of thing is an idiot, pure and simple.

If we can't win games like this, we're down. I think that in terms of expectation and speaking relatively, that's a worse result than the Luton game.

Still, the manager's doing a great job according to the Chairman!

I am by no means an Adams fan but we are looking good going forward. It shouldn't be that difficult to shore up the defence. Get in a decent centre back and midfield ball winner and we shouldn't be that far away. Right back is useless as well of course!
Just to add despite Mr Pedlar's ratings I thought Carey played very well. Probably an 8.

Playing devils advocate, and no doubt will get called deluded, but given that we seem to be OK at scoring (just over a goal a game, not great, but better than less than a goal a game), perhaps the problem lies not with Adams directly, but with the defensive coaches? Obviously the buck stops with Adams, but perhaps he should be looking at someone else to teach our defenders how to defend?

Sep 6, 2006
Bermudian Green":2yokvldw said:
Playing devils advocate, and no doubt will get called deluded, but given that we seem to be OK at scoring (just over a goal a game, not great, but better than less than a goal a game), perhaps the problem lies not with Adams directly, but with the defensive coaches? Obviously the buck stops with Adams, but perhaps he should be looking at someone else to teach our defenders how to defend?

They are experienced mature pros. If they don't know now you can't "teach'' them!

Nov 9, 2008
We have to face up to the fact that our defense is absolutely abysmal. We can't win game consistently without a dramatic improvement in this area. In attack we're a fairly good side but this is meaningless if we can't defend. We will not escape this relegation battle without quality defenders or a defensive coach who can turn poor players into an acceptable unit. We need to improve and we need to do it quickly.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Not difficult to look good going forward against that Bradford team is it, they were pitiful. Both teams certs for L2.

Edwards the most off the pace I’ve seen a centre back in a green shirt since Taribo. No one even in the admin period struggled so much. Fair play to Ryan for effort though.

C

Cult Of Personality

Actually enjoyed the game because both teams were awful it became funny. Songo was back to this nightmare best . Edwards should never pull on a green shirt again he is shot to pieces as a player. Grant Freddie good tho and whilst Carey not having the best of seasons he still always part of the buildup for our goals

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
We should have scored 6 and could have let in 7. The tannoy wouldn’t have looked out of place if it had played Benny Hill music every time Bradford attacked.

Someone needs to be brought in to support the unsackable Adams as our defensive coaching and selection needs a radical overhaul. Edwards looked as poor as every game this season and Songo’o in midfield was surprisingly poor.

The attacking play was acceptable but against that defence we should have done even better.

Matt Macey - 3
Joe Riley - 4
Ryan Edwards - 2
Niall Canavan - 4
Ashley Smith-Brown - 5
Yann Songo'o - 4
David Fox - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 7
Freddie Ladapo - 8

Ruben Lameiras - 6