Is Macey the best keeper we have? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Is Macey the best keeper we have?

Oct 5, 2013
Pretty unimpressed with his performance yesterday once again.
First of all, he’s a superb shot-stopper. Yet there’s more to being a good keeper than that alone.
Parried two shots out right into the danger zone for their first two goals, didn’t come out enough to attempt to block the shot for their third, scuffed an attempted clearance yet again right to one of their strikers in our half, doesn’t appear to inspire confidence in any of the defenders.
People go on about our poor defending, which is right, but where does it all begin?

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
philevs":1waau6nh said:
Pretty unimpressed with his performance yesterday once again.
First of all, he’s a superb shot-stopper. Yet there’s more to being a good keeper than that alone.
Parried two shots out right into the danger zone for their first two goals, didn’t come out enough to attempt to block the shot for their third, scuffed an attempted clearance yet again right to one of their strikers in our half, doesn’t appear to inspire confidence in any of the defenders.
People go on about our poor defending, which is right, but where does it all begin?

I would have subbed him at half time.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Brilliant initial shot stopper but never been convinced by him from that Southend game when he spilled there first long range shot 2 minutes in.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
He cost us the game yesterday. I'm really surprised that a keeper from Arsenal has so many flaws in his game - he struggles with his kicking, he rarely leaves his goal line for crosses even if they arrive into the six yard box, he regularly gets beaten at his near post and of course he parries shots back into the danger area, as we saw yesterday.

Has our goalkeeping coach tried to correct these flaws?

Do we have to pay a financial penalty to Arsenal if Macey doesn't play?

Let's play Letheren until the transfer window opens.

Apr 19, 2008
Cornwall
His poor kicking gets us into trouble. Not just from poor clearances from open play but from goal kicks. This is what Remi Matthews was particularly good at. He'd ping goal kicks to Taylor's head all day long and we'd often counter attack from quick long kicks which Macey seems incapable of unfortunately.

Sep 6, 2006
Radio Devon (Rory Fallon and some numptey ) were raving about his great saves especially before the second. Clueless in South Devon.
I still don't think he is as bad as some think. Put z Gordon Banks behind that defence and he would become panicky.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":zapfy560 said:
He cost us the game yesterday. I'm really surprised that a keeper from Arsenal has so many flaws in his game - he struggles with his kicking, he rarely leaves his goal line for crosses even if they arrive into the six yard box, he regularly gets beaten at his near post and of course he parries shots back into the danger area, as we saw yesterday.

So you want FOUR keepers on the books?!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Balham_Green":588gs94q said:
PL2 3DQ":588gs94q said:

I know I'll regret engaging with you but until recently we did have FOUR keepers on the books.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Matt Macey is having to make saves because his woeful defence can’t perform simple tasks. The first two goals, he makes two good saves and both times Bradford players are completely unmarked. As a goalkeeper when someone is shooting at you from inside 8 yards it’s not always possible to push the ball completely clear and your job is keeping it out.

He’s a keeper very low on confidence and it’s not surprising. Ironic cheers when he catches the ball? “F*ck off back to Arsenal” when he makes a dodgy kick? Do me a favour. It’s some of the donut in the Devonport End that need replacing.

Mike Cooper is a great prospect but it’d be entirely damaging to play him at this point. He’d have his confidence ripped to shreds behind this back four. As for Letheren, he’s just not very good. Macey is at the moment the only viable option and whilst he has his flaws, he is better than given credit for.

Oct 5, 2013
For me the whole point is that a good team starts with a good keeper. Did we not see this last season with Remi Matthews, when he came in our fortunes turned around.
The keeper is the mainstay of the entire team, because he’s the only one who can see all the other players and give instructions, and a good team begins with the keeper, not the other way round.
While Macey has so many flaws in his game, including not apparently directing the play enough, it is difficult to see how we can be a good team.
That’s my view.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I honestly believe you could put David De Gea behind the current defence and we wouldn’t be much better off.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":mnypnhxw said:
Balham_Green":mnypnhxw said:
PL2 3DQ":mnypnhxw said:

I know I'll regret engaging with you but until recently we did have FOUR keepers on the books.

But that was through no choice!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Nobby" Mike Cooper is a great prospect but it’d be entirely damaging to play him at this point. He’d have his confidence ripped to shreds behind this back four. As for Letheren said:
i disagree about it damaging mike cooper.he is much better than macey and is confident.i also rate letheren much higher than matt.