Brief Synopsis!!! (Portsmouth)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) The 4-4-2 experiment over, Adams returned to the tried and tested with Songo'o replacing Taylor. Jones on a very defensive bench. Argyle started with Carey wide left and Lameiras wide right.

2) A fairly even first-half with little action at either end and neither keeper with a save to make. Argyle probably edged possession but Lameiras had a half to forget, constantly giving the ball away cheaply. Carey too, not having the greatest half. Songo'o on the other hand dominated the midfield battle.

3) Ladapo looked disinterested and little came from the ball played towards him. Burgess dominated him. Canavan probably had the best opportunity when Lameiras put the ball across the area and it needed a slide to put it in but Canavan was not the player to produce one.

4) Sarcevic went down injured at one point and it looked serious and a stretcher was brought on but after a bit of spray he rose like Lazarus and after a short trip to the touch line continued the game and saw out the half. Adams clearly wasn't sure himself what the alternative was as Taylor, Threlkeld and Jephcott all warmed up!

5) Argyle came out fizzing and dominated the early part of the first half until Portsmouth won a corner and Argyle failed to clear their lines. Letheren was unsighted. Portsmouth were now playing with a lot more confidence and it took a while for Argyle to settle again.

6) Adams was booked for vociferously complaining about the ball being kicked away deliberately by a player already on a yellow. In the aftermath Songo'o was brought down in the edge of the area and Carey produced a classic free-kick to equalise.

7) Now it was Argyle with their tails up and it could quote easily have been Argyle to take the lead but Portsmouth weathered the storm. Taylor replaced the ineffective Ladapo. The ball started to stick more but we were now more vulnerable to the break.

8 ) Fox and Songo'o had outstanding games. Carey's free kick was a moment of brilliance in a generally poor game. Letheren did all he needed to and the two centre-backs were solid. The only real weak performance was Ladapo's.

9) I was wrong. Argyle did well to close down and spoil but I expected much more from Portsmouth. A good point, well deserved.

Kyle Letheren - 7
Ashley Smith-Brown - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Niall Canavan - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 8
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Matt Macey - unused
Scott Wootton - unused
Lloyd Jones - unused
Joe Riley - unused
Oscar Threlkeld - unused
Luke Jephcott - unused
Ryan Taylor - 6

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Hard to disagree with much of that. Perhaps a little harsh on Carey, who, aside from a dreadful first 15, came into the game and was involved in most good things we did. He produced an absolutely disgusting bit of skill to beat their right back in the corner in the second half (their right back who was a complete tool I might add).

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Lobster":275cpnj0 said:
Hard to disagree with much of that. Perhaps a little harsh on Carey, who, aside from a dreadful first 15, came into the game and was involved in most good things we did. He produced an absolutely disgusting bit of skill to beat their right back in the corner in the second half (their right back who was a complete tool I might add).
I believe that the youth of today call a piece of skill like that "sick"

Sep 2, 2008
Mark Pedlar":45zyirvz said:
1) The 4-4-2 experiment over, Adams returned to the tried and tested with Songo'o replacing Taylor. Jones on a very defensive bench. Argyle started with Carey wide left and Lameiras wide right.

2) A fairly even first-half with little action at either end and neither keeper with a save to make. Argyle probably edged possession but Lameiras had a half to forget, constantly giving the ball away cheaply. Carey too, not having the greatest half. Songo'o on the other hand dominated the midfield battle.

3) Ladapo looked disinterested and little came from the ball played towards him. Burgess dominated him. Canavan probably had the best opportunity when Lameiras put the ball across the area and it needed a slide to put it in but Canavan was not the player to produce one.

4) Sarcevic went down injured at one point and it looked serious and a stretcher was brought on but after a bit of spray he rose like Lazarus and after a short trip to the touch line continued the game and saw out the half. Adams clearly wasn't sure himself what the alternative was as Taylor, Threlkeld and Jephcott all warmed up!

5) Argyle came out fizzing and dominated the early part of the first half until Portsmouth won a corner and Argyle failed to clear their lines. Letheren was unsighted. Portsmouth were now playing with a lot more confidence and it took a while for Argyle to settle again.

6) Adams was booked for vociferously complaining about the ball being kicked away deliberately by a player already on a yellow. In the aftermath Songo'o was brought down in the edge of the area and Carey produced a classic free-kick to equalise.

7) Now it was Argyle with their tails up and it could quote easily have been Argyle to take the lead but Portsmouth weathered the storm. Taylor replaced the ineffective Ladapo. The ball started to stick more but we were now more vulnerable to the break.

8 ) Fox and Songo'o had outstanding games. Carey's free kick was a moment of brilliance in a generally poor game. Letheren did all he needed to and the two centre-backs were solid. The only real weak performance was Ladapo's.

9) I was wrong. Argyle did well to close down and spoil but I expected much more from Portsmouth. A good point, well deserved.

Kyle Letheren - 7
Ashley Smith-Brown - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Niall Canavan - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 8
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Matt Macey - unused
Scott Wootton - unused
Lloyd Jones - unused
Joe Riley - unused
Oscar Threlkeld - unused
Luke Jephcott - unused
Ryan Taylor - 6

Completely agree. I was hoping he would be changed at half time. Can't understand why it takes Adams so long to reactivate to the obvious.

Sep 2, 2008
Mark Pedlar":3vmpc10f said:

Kyle Letheren - 7
Ashley Smith-Brown - 7
Ryan Edwards - 8
Niall Canavan - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 8
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Matt Macey - unused
Scott Wootton - unused
Lloyd Jones - unused
Joe Riley - unused
Oscar Threlkeld - unused
Luke Jephcott - unused
Ryan Taylor - 6

From an absolutely stunning save from Letheren. He must have been gutted to have conceded from the corner after what he just stopped :clap:

Aug 11, 2013
Anyone got that Carey move on video - I can’t remember seeing anything like that at Home Park. People around me were just Wow - did he really just do that ?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was a cracking second half of football which featured one of the goals of the season from Graham Carey in what was our only shot on target.

Our general play deserved to win us the game but we didn't create enough chances to score a second goal but a draw is ok and keeps our good run going.

Portsfoul were very robust and resorted to fouling which the ref failed to control and he was not helped by the linesman on the Lyndhurst side who was poor and missed a lot of incidents.
Derek Adams did receive a yellow card for complaining about one particular foul that went unpunished.

For a team that has spent most of the season near the top of the league I expected more from Portsfoul; they looked very much like an average League One team.

The first half was very stop/start and scrappy and not one that Ruben Lameiras will want to remember, he just couldn't get into the game and often lost possession.
Both teams looked nervous and it took a while for the game to settle down which was not helped by a swirling wind.

The main highlight was what looked like a serious injury to Sarcevic. He stretched for the ball and went down in a heap, thumping his hand on the pitch, the club doctor and medical team were in attendance and a stretcher was called, it looked like Sarcevic's season was over. But a miracle occurred and thankfully Sarcevic was up and running around within minutes.

The second half as a spectacle was much better. You could see that Ladapo and Lameiras had a talking to at half time because they both raised their game by some distance. The Argyle fans responded to this new attacking threat and created a great atmosphere, however for all our possession we couldn't create good goal scoring opportunities.

Portsfoul carried on in the same manner as the first half - a nudge here, a push there, followed by a dangerous tackle, all waved on their merry way by referee Ben Toner who seemed to take a preference to the colour blue.

Portsfoul edged in front against the run of play when we failed to deal with a corner. Letheren had made a fantastic save to tip a long range shot from Ronan Curtis out for a corner, the flag kick was partially cleared to the edge of the box and Ben Close hit a low shot through a crowd of players and into the net. We didn't deserve that.

The Argyle team from August to December would have folded at that point but the 2019 team are made of stronger stuff and got back in the saddle and took the game back to Portsfoul.

We had a stroke of luck when the ref finally awarded a free-kick from another Portsfoul foul. The set-piece was central and 25 yards out and upstepped Carey to curl the ball around the wall and into the top corner. Magnificent! His first goal for months and what a time to score it. The Portsfoul bell fell silent.

At that point we looked the more likely winner although we had to be careful of Portsfoul counter-attacks and a linesman who allowed them to continue despite being off-side.

Taylor replaced Ladapo and we probed and pushed for the winner but it wouldn't come. It finished all square at 1-1.

What an effort from the players who showed grit and determination plus skill and technique .
Carey raised his game to another level following his goal, especially one piece of sublime trickery by the goal line, hopefully it was caught on camera.

It wasn't the best game for Lameiras, he tried and tried but too often a tricky turn lost possession but it's great to see Carey and Lameiras just doing their stuff and probably the most skilful players we've had since Akos Buzsaky.

The stand out players for me were Songo'o and Smith-Brown. Songo'o has added passing skills to his game this season and still flies into tackles - taking no prisoner, while Smith-Brown just gets better and better and is now looking more composed.

It didn't really workout for Ladapo, he had a good 10 minute spell after half time but if he's not scoring he needs to contribute more to the team, although to be fair he was up against two big monsters at centre-back.
Sarcevic had a good game, especially after his injury, he seemed possessed after receiving the wet sponge.
Sawyer should change his name by deed poll to "Gary Sawyer 7/10".

The two centre-backs were rock solid with Edwards winning a lot of headers. What a difference Letheren has made, not only making great saves but also his command and organisation of the defence.

We could have won, we could have lost, so we'll take a point and move onto Yorkshire.

Man of the Match: Songo'o.

Letheren 7, Smith-Brown 8, Edwards 7, Canavan 7, Sawyer 7, Fox 7, Songo'o 8, Sarcevic 7, Carey 7, Lameiras 6, Ladapo 5. Sub - Taylor 6.

Spot on synopsis MP. I would just add that Letheren’s save, for which I was perfectly placed in the Demport corner, was truly outstanding. DA’s booking totally unfair. He was absolutely right to complain. Apart from that I thought the ref had a very good game, and allowed it to flow.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":41xl2j9a said:
It was a cracking second half of football which featured one of the goals of the season from Graham Carey in what was our only shot on target.

Our general play deserved to win us the game but we didn't create enough chances to score a second goal but a draw is ok and keeps our good run going.

Portsfoul were very robust and resorted to fouling which the ref failed to control and he was not helped by the linesman on the Lyndhurst side who was poor and missed a lot of incidents.
Derek Adams did receive a yellow card for complaining about one particular foul that went unpunished.

For a team that has spent most of the season near the top of the league I expected more from Portsfoul, they looked very much like an average League One team.

The first half was very stop/start and scrappy and not one that Ruben Lameiras will want to remember, he just couldn't get into the game and often lost possession.
Both teams looked nervous and it took a while for the game to settle down which was not helped by a swirling wind.

The main highlight was what looked like a serious injury to Sarcevic. He stretched for the ball and went down in a heap, thumping his hand on the pitch, the club doctor and medical team was in attendance and a stretcher was called, it looked like Sarcevic's season was over. But a miracle occurred and thankfully Sarcevic was up and running around within minutes.

The second half as a spectacle was much better. You could see that Ladapo and Lameiras had a talking to at half time because they both raised their game by some distance. The Argyle fans responded to this new attacking threat and created a great atmosphere, however for all our possession we couldn't create good goal scoring opportunities.

Portsfoul carried on in the same manner as the first half - a nudge here, a push there, followed by a dangerous tackle, all waved on their merry way by referee Ben Toner who seemed to take a preference to the colour blue.

Portsfoul edged in front against the run of play when we failed to deal with a corner. Letheren had made a fantastic save to tip a long range shot from Ronan Curtis out for a corner, the flag kick was partially cleared to the edge of the box and Ben Close hit a low shot through a crowd of players and into the net. We didn't deserve that.

The Argyle team from August to December would have folded at that point but the 2019 team are made of stronger stuff and got back in the saddle and took the game back to Portsfoul.

We had a stroke of luck when the ref finally awarded a free-kick from another Portsfoul foul. The set-piece was central and 25 yards out and upstepped Carey to curl the ball around the wall and into the top corner. Magnificent! His first goal for months and what a time to score it. The Portsfoul bell fell silent.

We looked the more likely winner at that point although we had to be careful of Portsfoul counter-attacks and a linesman who allowed them to continue despite being off-side.

Taylor replaced Ladapo and we probed and pushed for the winner but it wouldn't come.

What an effort from the players who showed grit and determination plus skill and technique .
Carey raised his game to another level following his goal, especially one piece of sublime trickery by the goal line, hopefully it was caught on camera.

It wasn't the best game for Lameiras, he tried and tried but too often a tricky turn lost possession but it's great to see Carey and Lameiras just doing their stuff and probably the most skilful players we've had since Akos Buzsaky.

The stand out players for me were Songo'o and Smith-Brown. Songo'o has added passing skills to his game this season and still flies into tackles - taking no prisoner, while Smith-Brown just gets better and better and is now looking more composed.

It didn't really workout for Ladapo, he had a good 10 minute spell after half time but if he's not scoring he needs to contribute more to the team.
Sarcevic had a good game, especially after his injury, he seemed possessed after that injury.
Sawyer should change his name by deed poll to "Gary Sawyer 7/10".

The two centre-backs were rock solid with Edwards winning a lot of headers. What a difference Letheren has made, not only making great saves but also his command and organisation of the defence.

We could have won, we could have lost, so we'll take a point and move onto Yorkshire.

Man of the Match: Songo'o.

Letheren 7, Smith-Brown 8, Edwards 7, Canavan 7, Sawyer 7, Fox 6, Songo'o 8, Sarcevic 7, Carey 7, Lameiras 6, Ladapo 5. Sub - Taylor 6.

I knew it. Was the refs fault again. Always is. Those beys up at hq organising a conspiracy against us!
And how did we deserve to win if we created very few chances? Doesnt make sense.

Jun 27, 2006
Plymouth
arrythewurzel":1a2cmg4e said:
Anyone got that Carey move on video - I can’t remember seeing anything like that at Home Park. People around me were just Wow - did he really just do that ?

I can't wait to see that again. I can't even recall Akos Buzsaky doing anything like that and he was brilliant.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Frustrating that we're still not picking our strongest centre-forward (I'm bored of saying it week in week out), but it was a decent team performance and a good result. Portsmouth looked far more direct than I remember them under Cook - Jackett must be doing something right though for them to be as high up as they are.

The first half was a non-event - far too much hoof and hope. The second half was more like it, and we deserved the point imo.

Letheren 6 - one great save, can't be blamed for the goal as he was unsighted, also can't be blamed for the shanked kick that only went 20 yards as it took a bobble. His general kicking though was poor.

ASB 6 - Portsmouth closed him down very quickly in the first half, and there were a couple of naive free kicks which he gave away again. Did well in the second half though when given more space.

Edwards 7 - won his headers, fantastic tackle on their guy at 0-1 as well. Real game-changer.

Canavan 7 - very good defensive work and distribution, marred by him missing from 4 yards out in the first half.

Sawyer 6 - got skinned a few times but mostly fine.

Songo'o 6 - not quite getting the high ratings for him - sure he was passionate as usual, and won a lot of tackles, but his passing still leaves too much to be desired. One silly dummy also led to a Portsmouth counter attack chance. We've got better options than him (namely Threlkeld).

Fox 8 - decision making and use of the ball were simply superb.

Sarcevic 6 - fair play to him for carrying on after the knock, he didn't play too badly either.

Lameiras 5 - excellent off the ball, absolutely terrible on it.

Carey 8 - that free kick, and that piece of skill. Simply, wow. He was right back on it in the second half today.

Ladapo 3 - nothing new. Can't hold the ball up, and now he's not getting so many chances his goals have dried up. Taylor, please.

Subs:
Taylor 6 - also nothing new. The ball was suddenly sticking up front when we went long - apart from when the Portsmouth defenders were fouling him that is.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Enjoyable game and deserved hard earned point. Carey free kick worthy of an game, cracking finish. Argyle much improved 2nd half and whilst Ruben and Freddie weren’t particularly firing, the endeavour of Fox, Sarcevic and Songo’o throughout meant Pompey never dominated the game. As already mentioned the finger tip save from Letheran was excellent and unfortunately the following corner led to their goal.