Trevor Francis? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Trevor Francis?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Someone said yo me yesterday that they could remember Trevor scoring in an Argyle shirt???

I know he never played for us as a pro, but did he play for us in any of the (then) youth guises?

I thought he didn’t but perhaps I was wrong.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
He played for Plymouth Schoolboys U-15 at Home Park. The team included Alan Rogers and a couple of others who flirted with professional football, Joey Scott at Bournemouth and Kevin Griffin at Bristol City.

Trevor was scouted by Birmingham when Plymouth Schoolboys got to around the 5th round of the schoolboys cup (whatever that was called). He never played for Argyle.

May 22, 2006
Trevor definitely only played for Plymouth schoolboys.

I remember the excitement of an evening kick off in about 1971. Went with a load of primary school friends, aged about 10. First game for many. I’d been going to HP for about four years.Plymouth Schoolboys v Liverpool Schoolboys in the cup. I’ve always wondered if Francis had played. If I remember correctly, we lost 5-0.

BlueinPL20

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Oct 14, 2016
His Father was from Birmingham & a big Fan, that was why he signed for the Brum. I knew a Guy who also played in that Plymouth Schoolboys Team and he could never understand why all the Scouts hankered after Francis. He thought there were better players in that Schoolboy Team which the Scouts ignored

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
IJN":2pli9y04 said:
Someone said yo me yesterday that they could remember Trevor scoring in an Argyle shirt???

I know he never played for us as a pro, but did he play for us in any of the (then) youth guises?

I thought he didn’t but perhaps I was wrong.

He was at the match yesterday sitting with Rogers. There is a pic of them in the crowd in today's Indy. Talking of old boys, it was interesting in seeing Richard Reynolds interviewed at half time. I can recall his first first team game for Argyle. He was a big well built lad when 17/18 years of age, who went on like Rogers to play for Pompey, hence his selection for interview yesterday.

Dec 21, 2010
Yes, sadly, I too am old enough to remember a 16 year old Dick Reynolds making his debut for Argyle in 1965. HE was a very good player who enjoyed a good career.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I remember Reynold’s debut too as a 16 year old. He was a big lad at 16 and a bit gangly but went on to have a solid career largely with Pompey. I saw Francis play against Liverpool schools with Rogers and co too, and remember standing on the Mayflower terrace one Saturday afternoon quite incrédulous as people around me reported from their transistor radios that Plymouth’s 16 year old Francis had scored 1,2,3 and then four goals on his Birmingham debut in the 2nd tier.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I went to the game against Liverpool Schoolboys, I was a schoolboy myself, and many years later I played against Joey Scott who was playing for Bere Alston in the late 80s. As previously mentioned it was an evening kick off and I went on my own, I can recall leaving the ground and making my way to Milehouse to get a bus to Camels Head buying chips from the chippy and walking up Ferndale Road to my Nans prefab. I was 11. Different times.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Larry David":24q6lgt7 said:
I went to the game against Liverpool Schoolboys, I was a schoolboy myself, and many years later I played against Joey Scott who was playing for Bere Alston in the late 80s. As previously mentioned it was an evening kick off and I went on my own, I can recall leaving the ground and making my way to Milehouse to get a bus to Camels Head buying chips from the chippy and walking up Ferndale Road to my Nans prefab. I was 11. Different times.
I can hear Hovis music!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
BlueinPL20":2vid8mrt said:
His Father was from Birmingham & a big Fan, that was why he signed for the Brum. I knew a Guy who also played in that Plymouth Schoolboys Team and he could never understand why all the Scouts hankered after Francis. He thought there were better players in that Schoolboy Team which the Scouts ignored

Eh? I thought his Dad was a born and bred Janner (Roy). He was certainly an Argyle fan.

Jul 6, 2005
Agree with you IJN. They lived very close to Home Park.

Although a couple years younger than me Alan Rogers and Trevor Francis were both in our school teams at Public Secondary in Plymouth.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Both his mum and dad were born in Plymouth.