Taylor, Ladapo and the Wider Impact | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Taylor, Ladapo and the Wider Impact

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Lots of debate during the course of this season regarding Taylor and Ladapo and their respective merits. Some arguing for Taylor's inclusion, many outraged at the thought of dropping our top goalscorer.

To be clear, I recognise Ladapo's contribution in front of goal - he's a front to goal player and a goalscorer first and foremost. I also recognise that Taylor isn't likely to get more than 10 a season. And please don't throw back that Taylor hasn't scored in 30 odd games this season when most have been desperate cameo appearances and just 3 starts.

Until we became so dependent on a single goalscorer this season (plus Lameiras's purple patch), Taylor had been the fulcrum of the side. Last season's evidence suggests we were much better with him in the team (missing at the front end and final weeks of the season). His all round contributions are on a different level to Ladapo - bringing others in to game with a back to goal style. The wider impact was players like Carey and Sarcevic would benefit as they moved off the ball, always confident that it would reach them next.

This season we have been much more direct up front. Carey and Lameiras tend to run more with the ball rather than look for a return. Ladapo is undoubtedly excellent when he has turned to face the defender - scarily good actually - but in all round play you really need more from a lone centre-forward. And for those that argue he is only feeding off scraps, well that's actually the point - posession is crucial in the way we play.

So despite the goals from Ladapo, I remain convinced that Taylor should be starting. If you do, I think you get the best from Carey. I'd go with Taylor as lone striker with an attacking support line of Lameiras, Carey (central) and Ladapo. In the few times the latter has played there I saw signs he could be very effective - after all it does mean he would see a lot more of the ball in front of him which is his strength. Not only could he terrorise full-backs with his pace, but also pin them back defensively.

It's perhaps a bit radical to move your top goalscorer's position and some will be outraged I'm sure. But the reality is we have score just 6 goals (+ an OG) in the last 9 games. in these last few games we have to find a way of making our talisman (Carey) more effective, and in general get more goals from otehr areas.

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":3k825hyn said:
Lots of debate during the course of this season regarding Taylor and Ladapo and their respective merits. Some arguing for Taylor's inclusion, many outraged at the thought of dropping our top goalscorer.

To be clear, I recognise Ladapo's contribution in front of goal - he's a front to goal player and a goalscorer first and foremost. I also recognise that Taylor isn't likely to get more than 10 a season. And please don't throw back that Taylor hasn't scored in 30 odd games this season when most have been desperate cameo appearances and just 3 starts.

Until we became so dependent on a single goalscorer this season (plus Lameiras's purple patch), Taylor had been the fulcrum of the side. Last season's evidence suggests we were much better with him in the team (missing at the front end and final weeks of the season). His all round contributions are on a different level to Ladapo - bringing others in to game with a back to goal style. The wider impact was players like Carey and Sarcevic would benefit as they moved off the ball, always confident that it would reach them next.

This season we have been much more direct up front. Carey and Lameiras tend to run more with the ball rather than look for a return. Ladapo is undoubtedly excellent when he has turned to face the defender - scarily good actually - but in all round play you really need more from a lone centre-forward. And for those that argue he is only feeding off scraps, well that's actually the point - posession is crucial in the way we play.

So despite the goals from Ladapo, I remain convinced that Taylor should be starting. If you do, I think you get the best from Carey. I'd go with Taylor as lone striker with an attacking support line of Lameiras, Carey (central) and Ladapo. In the few times the latter has played there I saw signs he could be very effective - after all it does mean he would see a lot more of the ball in front of him which is his strength. Not only could he terrorise full-backs with his pace, but also pin them back defensively.

It's perhaps a bit radical to move your top goalscorer's position and some will be outraged I'm sure. But the reality is we have score just 6 goals (+ an OG) in the last 9 games. in these last few games we have to find a way of making our talisman (Carey) more effective, and in general get more goals from otehr areas.

Gillingham had a similar problem on Friday with Eaves. Wasnt working and the manager was brave subbed him at ht. Can you imagine Adams doing that? Fwiw I would play both of them away in a 442. That Adams doesnt seem able to see the current system is not working and/or is unable to change it is an indictment in itself.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Does seem strange giving him an improved 2 years contract based on his game time this year surely the money for Taylor would have been better placed in keeping Bradley whom was the defensive king pin
Fair enough if Taylor was your main striker but if you were after Ladapo all along why push the boat out to 're sign him when others were wanting the money

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Ladapo would thrive off a middle player like Ruben or Carey playing central just behind him.

Sarcevic doesn’t do it for.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Ladapo to be sold in the Summer and Taylor back to first choice

Mar 16, 2009
London
I appreciate what you’re saying Frank, but while practically no goals come from our midfield (not through lack of chances, it’s just none of our midfielders have composure in front goal), we can’t afford to have a centre forward who himself does not contribute goals. 5 league goals last season. 4 in League 2 in our promotion side. Never more than 4 in a season for Oxford either.

Freddie has been a godsend this season. We’ve finally found a 20 goal a season striker who has the ability to score goals in higher leagues.

Until we have a midfielder or two with higher conversion rates, Ryan is somewhat of a luxury imo.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The pace of Ladapo worries opposition defenders, so instead of long balls to the head or chest of Taylor to get the team up the pitch we hit long balls over the opposition defence for Ladapo to chase to get the team up the pitch. His pace forces opposition defenders to defend 10 yards or so further back, whereas they can push right onto Taylor knowing full well he's not going to run in behind them.

We've seen Ladapo chase long balls into the corner areas of the pitch, wait for support and bring Lameiras and Carey into play.
Taylor also brings Lameiras and Carey into play but 20 or 30 yards further away from goal.

Where we fail is that instead of hitting long balls into the channels for Ladapo to chase we aim a high ball to his head and it doesn't work. I haven't seen Ladapo win a header yet let alone jump with any conviction.

The big disappointment is the lack of goals from the central attacking midfielder which for most of the season has been Sarcevic. Whether Ladapo or Taylor plays it's the job of the attacking midfielder to chip in with some goals and it just hasn't happened for Sarcevic this season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not a Freddie fan, BUT on Saturday I was with a couple of famous football pundits and both said he was easily the best player on the pitch. :wtf:

:wtf: I don't get it either, but it does make you wonder if they see something that we're all missing for some reason.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Frank_Butcher":2moh61m0 said:

Great post Frank and captures my own thoughts precisely. Freddie is a decent player (apart from his inability to head a ball...which kind of limits his effectiveness). Team sport is all about the sum of the parts...It's no good having a 20 goal a season striker if no one else is scoring and you're in danger of hitting the bottom 4.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":1qu2esyh said:
The pace of Ladapo worries opposition defenders, so instead of long balls to the head or chest of Taylor to get the team up the pitch we hit long balls over the opposition defence for Ladapo to chase to get the team up the pitch. His pace forces opposition defenders to defend 10 yards or so further back, whereas they can push right onto Taylor knowing full well he's not going to run in behind them.

We've seen Ladapo chase long balls into the corner areas of the pitch, wait for support and bring Lameiras and Carey into play.
Taylor also brings Lameiras and Carey into play but 20 or 30 yards further away from goal.

Where we fail is that instead of hitting long balls into the channels for Ladapo to chase we aim a high ball to his head and it doesn't work. I haven't seen Ladapo win a header yet let alone jump with any conviction.

The big disappointment is the lack of goals from the central attacking midfielder which for most of the season has been Sarcevic. Whether Ladapo or Taylor plays it's the job of the attacking midfielder to chip in with some goals and it just hasn't happened for Sarcevic this season.

Spot on.

Also it’s a lack of composure from the defence or midfield when they hit long balls up the pitch. The don’t have the ability or calmness to look up and around them before putting a boot through the ball.

Sarcevic needs dropping and move Ruben or Carey inside with another player going wide or play a 4-1-4-1 formation allowing a central player to advance in behind Ladapo when we have possession.

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Old Gunner":2gbfn5ns said:
Team sport is all about the sum of the parts...It's no good having a 20 goal a season striker if no one else is scoring and you're in danger of hitting the bottom 4.

Point perhaps proven - Carey's contribution goes from 14 last season to 5 this.

And interestingly 9 of those Carey goals last season were scored when Taylor had his 20 consecutive starts. Taylor also chipped in with 5 in that period.

There are other factors, but too many coincidences to ignore IMO.

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Kentishgreen":3mfl8di9 said:
I guess the question is “ How much is Ladapo worth and how much is Taylor worth” No contest really

:doh:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I do like the idea of RT up front, and Fred RM. But that's only because Sarce has been so poor.

With Sarce and Fletch coming off the bench when needed.