• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

News of Greens on Screen - updated Sunday 5th May

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Once again, I can only apologise for Greens on Screen's absence, but having said that, there is nothing I can do about it.

Last summer, after many interruptions and generally poor service from the previous host, I decided to take the big step to change supplier. In doing so I looked hard for the best compromise between cost and reputation, and came up with A2 Hosting, which consistently comes out at the top (or near) of reviews of hosting companies that offer the Windows option. (Windows is essential because of the way I decided to develop GoS many many years ago. Times have changed and I wouldn't go that way now, but that's how it is.)

That's fine, the Windows approach is common enough and as I say, A2 Hosting is highly rated. That has been born out by the 10 months that I've been with them - all the niggles that I had with the previous host have gone away and everything has been running smoothly - until this month, and in particular the last 7 days. As anyone who's tried to access GoS knows, it's been a disaster - first a three day outage last week and now two days since Sunday, with no sign of a solution. What's worse, despite numerous attempts to get some answers, they are simply not responding. If it's any consolation (not really), there are a hundreds of other website owners are who also tearing their hair out.

I sincerely hope that the service will resume at some stage this week. If not, I fear we might be in big trouble. Even if it does come back soon, I've been so unimpressed by the way this has been handled, I feel I should move again. My only doubt is that it was by no means a straightforward process last summer, and do I really want to go through that again? I suspect that will very much depend on what sort of post-mortem feedback I get.

In the meantime, I know how frustrating it is. Please keep the faith, and I'll add more info here as soon as I get it.

Bald Steve

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Steve

It’s only frustrating because it is such a fabulous resource that we all get our weekly fix from

I will be patient but confess I’m dying to see the last set of ground renovation pics! Didn’t get to them on time

You are a star in doing all you do with GOS so I’m sure folks will be really understanding

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I sensed your pain even before I saw this post. Keep the faith.

Oct 22, 2018
Don't beat yourself up not your faulty. Like most on hear I am in withdrawal at not see your wonderful pics. I say that as an ex pro photographer.A lot of hard work and very much appreciated. :nworthy:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That is unspeakably bad service. To be down for so long is bad enough, to not contact you or reply to your messages is disgraceful.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
A2hosting.co.uk, i.e. their internet facing site is alive and well. Suggest keeping an eye on http://a2status.com which is their incident management reporting site. By the looks of things it's an issue to do with their Windows server farm - if you're tech savvy it's easy enough to follow. Basically they are bringing servers back on line gradually but last post was 15 hours ago. Reads like they are in downtime hell.

Interestingly they are posting unattributed customer testimonials dated 30th April on the .co.uk site, so taken at face value other parts of their service are functioning normally.

Steve - you may have already tried, but have you used the 24/7 LiveChat service? It's linked on the .co.uk homepage and has a notice that they are experiencing high demand - unsurprisingly. Worth logging a ticket there though.

You've probably covered all this but hope it might help (I want to see the photos ;) ).

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Thanks Frank. Yes, very much I'm on top of all that, and have posted numerous tickets without success, as have lots of other customers. You're right, I suspect they're overwhelmed on the Windows side. Their Linux servers are unaffected.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
:thumbup: not looking good for them in the Twittersphere either.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I wish I could give you better news, but I can't I'm afraid. The problem looks to be as serious as it can get, and I'm now looking at what I can do to recover and build the site somewhere else, although that will take a week or two - probably returning on a new host at exactly the moment that the existing one comes back. :shifty:

If you're interested, there's a report here that paints the picture: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-s ... re-attack/

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
What a clusterflip that Steve. :facepalm:

I feel for you I really do, plus we're not having our fix.

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
Thoughts are with you Steve, to say this is frustrating for you must be a massive understatement! For what it's worth if switching hosting companies incurs costs, I for one would be happy to chip in a few quid. Least I can do after you've brightened my Sunday's so much recently :scarf:

robbieB

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 6, 2011
Same for me, Kevin. We are all behind you Steve.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Very kind chaps, thanks.

Working with Bob now on getting a copy of last week's photos on Pasoti as a temporary workaround. Hopefully later today if it works out.

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
GreensOnScreen":3s7zm07z said:
Working with Bob now on getting a copy of last week's photos on Pasoti as a temporary workaround. Hopefully later today if it works out.

:nworthy: :nworthy: