Philosophy and identity | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Philosophy and identity

Aug 6, 2018
Yesterday was so disappointing, particularly because it felt unnecessary and unavoidable. We should have stayed up, but errors along the way meant that did not happen. I was a fan of Adams and feel he will likely succeed elsewhere but despite the disappointment, relegation provides the opportunity to really start afresh in every sense, especially with new Grandstand.

Being an Argyle fan we do not expect to be playing in the Premier league and even this season in League one were aware of our financial weakness in comparison to the Sunderland, Luton and Portsmouth's of the world. With our current owners advocating a club that is self financing and does not rely on wealthy owners to plug financial gaps, it is likely that our status as lower league team that will struggle to reach the Championship will continue, albeit in time the Grandstand will help with this. This is understandable and something I think most realistic Argyle fans can accept, but what I do think is achievable and would, for me, make supporting Argyle all the greater would be for the club to decide upon a philosophy and identity of attacking, passing football. Manager's come and go but the club could continue to follow this philosophy and appoint managers that can only work to this philosophy. Look at Swansea, Bournemouth and Crewe. Differing extremes financially but they all stuck to a core philosophy of attacking , passing football. I would hope this is something the club is moving towards with the appointment of the head of recruitment from Swansea. I also see on one thread that Tisdale's name has been linked to us. How realistic that is I dont know, but he would be an ideal appointment to work within such a philosophy.

We will never be one of the richest or most successful teams. I can accept that but we can be progressive and play attractive football from youth to first team to an unflinching philosophy. Our location is unique, our colours are unique, our name is unique, and wouldn't it be great to be also recognized as one of the few teams that 'plays the right way'. and abides by a clear footballing philosophy.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Very well said.

We need to do ‘something’ different, and adopting Swansea’s approach makes total sense given the new head of recruitment.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Agreed. We need to bring our youngnies through but as importantly and certainly linked, we need to make our Academy the best in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and most of Somerset.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oh and one other thing, it would be good to have our pitch back to the normal wider and longer dimensions.

Aug 6, 2018
Yes, I agree about the youth. Look at the players Exeter have sold over recent years for decent money. I am sure it is difficult when there is only a certain budget to put a decent team on the pitch, rebuild the grandstand for future income generation and improve and develop the Academy, but as Crewe and to an extent Exeter under Tisdale showed, a lack of financial clout does not prevent a club from adopting a set attractive footballing philosophy and ensuring it is played form youth to first team and that only managers that align with said philosophy are appointed, i.e Nathan Jones, Tisdale etc

As mentioned, there are some financial, geographical etc obstacles the club can do nothing about but wouldnt it make supporting Argyle so much more enjoyable if we had a footballing identity we could be as proud of as we are of our identity as a club and being Green and Argyle and from the south west.

May 22, 2006
A "philosophy" (God I hate that word used in that context) of flowing, passing football is feasible in a league where the pitches allow it. In a league that contains the likes of Rodney Parade, we might have to be a bit more realistic.

What made the years from 2001-2007 especially joyous was the feeling that the whole club was pulling together. There was a genuine sense of the club trying to become part of the fabric of Plymouth and not just another option for a Saturday afternoon. We also had a real belief that Home Park was a difficult place for away teams to come, even when we weren't chasing promotion.

We haven't had that since. Even during the recent play-offs and promotion seasons, there was a feeling that a well-drilled side could give us a pasting on our own pitch, and they regularly did. And when we get home from one of those pastings to see the website calling us "unlucky", and the social media team blocking fans for showing dismay, it makes people wonder what on earth the club are playing at.

The club has to get a lot better at engaging with fans. I don't care about Q&As; they're often poorly attended and the questions are always the same repetitious crap. I care about a club that reaches out. How many years has Plymouth had that big screen? And how many times have Argyle featured on it? Can you imagine a town like Norwich and Blackburn having something like that, without City and Rovers being all over it?

TLDR remember when the club said "Run By Fans For Fans" and actually meant it? I want that.

Mar 23, 2019
IJN":2f6qnscu said:
Agreed. We need to bring our youngies through but as importantly and certainly linked, we need to make our Academy the best in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and most of Somerset.

Been saying this for years. It's so vitally important that we grab any talent and they play for us for a few years before being sold on for big money - this is the only without being bought by a rich Arab that we'll get to where lots of ourselves think we should be.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Action Jackson":136vdj4i said:
IJN":136vdj4i said:
Agreed. We need to bring our youngnies through but as importantly and certainly linked, we need to make our Academy the best in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and most of Somerset.

Been saying this for years. It's so vitally important that we grab any talent and they play for us for a few years before being sold on for big money - this is the only without being bought by a rich Arab that we'll get to where lots of ourselves think we should be.

Tricky, as Chelsea and Southampton both have academies based in South Devon.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
IJN":ckue6iu3 said:
Oh and one other thing, it would be good to have our pitch back to the normal wider and longer dimensions.

I thought the same although the Mayflower side of the pitch may be difficult to extend because of the continued work on the grandstand until halfway through next season.

May 5, 2019
Our identity will forever he shaped by our isolation and is usually also defined by our relative poverty. That said, in League Two we will have a competitive budget unless gates really plunge to 6000 or less.

So if there is ever an opportunity to create a lasting positive identity for the club it's this next season.

However if it's a choice between promotion next year and attractive football with an 8th place finish which would you choose?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
IJN":2wsuwmdh said:
i agree with both your points.i am sick and tired of our young lads being usurped by the likes of mister anderson,and i mean no disrespect to mister anderson,but what is the point of him being here and playing fewer than 20 minutes when fletcher,jephcott or any other of our excellent youngsters could be forcing their way into the first team!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Kit Kat and Oranges":1gubmuds said:
Yesterday was so disappointing, particularly because it felt unnecessary and unavoidable. We should have stayed up, but errors along the way meant that did not happen. I was a fan of Adams and feel he will likely succeed elsewhere but despite the disappointment, relegation provides the opportunity to really start afresh in every sense, especially with new Grandstand.

Being an Argyle fan we do not expect to be playing in the Premier league and even this season in League one were aware of our financial weakness in comparison to the Sunderland, Luton and Portsmouth's of the world. With our current owners advocating a club that is self financing and does not rely on wealthy owners to plug financial gaps, it is likely that our status as lower league team that will struggle to reach the Championship will continue, albeit in time the Grandstand will help with this. This is understandable and something I think most realistic Argyle fans can accept, but what I do think is achievable and would, for me, make supporting Argyle all the greater would be for the club to decide upon a philosophy and identity of attacking, passing football. Manager's come and go but the club could continue to follow this philosophy and appoint managers that can only work to this philosophy. Look at Swansea, Bournemouth and Crewe. Differing extremes financially but they all stuck to a core philosophy of attacking , passing football. I would hope this is something the club is moving towards with the appointment of the head of recruitment from Swansea. I also see on one thread that Tisdale's name has been linked to us. How realistic that is I dont know, but he would be an ideal appointment to work within such a philosophy.

We will never be one of the richest or most successful teams. I can accept that but we can be progressive and play attractive football from youth to first team to an unflinching philosophy. Our location is unique, our colours are unique, our name is unique, and wouldn't it be great to be also recognized as one of the few teams that 'plays the right way'. and abides by a clear footballing philosophy.

Barnsley played us off the park without a tricky playmaker with clever feet, just by playing said attacking, passing football, we have two playmakers and it makes for slow build ups.

Apr 4, 2004
Pilgrims Progress":2ydjg5ek said:
Pilgrims Progress":2ydjg5ek said:
IJN":2ydjg5ek said:

Here hear plus 2wingers

I've probably missed something but is are you saying our pitch has been made smaller. When? Why? By how much? Finally, surely this must be related to the grandstand lick of paint :greensmile: