RL big week for incomings ( it has to be) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RL big week for incomings ( it has to be)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
With the pre-season starting in a little over a week we really need to some incomings to have a chance of being ready for the season.

Maybe not the completed squad but how many inward transfers do we need to have the bare bones to start on the 26th?

We need a keeper but should RL wait to see if Cooper or Letheren can fill that task before rushing out and using his budget on a no1?

The defence last season was not up to task and needs renewal not regeneration so 4-5

Midfield, again decimated and depending on whether Sarcevic commands a regular spot another 2-3

Forwards, does Taylor suit RL’s philosophy and can Fletcher make the step up

For me, a complete new first team and likely about 80% needed on the reserve list, so hopefully this week will see us have so many incomings our heads will spin and we may lose count of what we have.

Exciting times ahead.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
The defence last season was not up to task and needs renewal not regeneration so 4-5
Don't think so. Just think we need 1 or 2 CB's. Also depends if we can get Wotton/Canavan/Sawyer off the wage bill.

Probably need another striker or 2 depending on if Fletcher resigns.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I am sure Lowe and Schumacher are working furiously behind the scenes to get answers from those with contract offers still on the table, and to get the right players in.
We will be going into the start of pre-season training very light, however, and this would obviously be of concern in terms of getting everyone bedded in and tactically ready for early August.
If Lowe does manage to get the likes of Mayor, Devitt and Maynard to re-locate from the North West like him then I will for one will be seriously impressed.
However, I fear that they are coming up against the same obstacles that every Argyle manager faces; location and wages. So it is far more likely that we will be recruiting from the army of free agents out there, and making up the numbers with some hopefully exciting young loanees from his mates at Liverpool and Rangers.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Lowe claimed players and agents were calling him up to offer their services to Argyle though.

Agree with the likelihood of a slow start to the season as new players and new tactics bed in. We are pretty used to slow starts these days after last couple of seasons.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Keeper is the least of our priorities, I'd have thought. Letheren with Cooper backup should be good enough for league 2, although of course there's always room for improvement if a player and funds become available. Those funds would still be better spent further up the field, though, atm ..

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
warney":2n6xtd7r said:
Keeper is the least of our priorities, I'd have thought. Letheren with Cooper backup should be good enough for league 2, although of course there's always room for improvement if a player and funds become available. Those funds would still be better spent further up the field, though, atm ..

Absolutely agree, i’d be happy with either Cooper or Letheren as #1 with the other bring backup. So much different than last season when in a different league we thought we had better but sadly.... I certainly can’t understand anyone not thinking we need a major rehauling even considering that the players last year got too used to putting in substandard performances. To my mind that would be hard for a player to overcome going forward.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
warney":2cjtdcau said:
But we don't have Letheren. We might have him, but we don't ATM

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
If Lowe is looking to continue to 3-5-2 then Sawyer would do a reasonable L2 job in the 3 imo. He proved himself a pretty good centre back previously, less exposed to 1 v 1 foot races against tricky widemen.

Canavan was a decent enough defender when fit last season. He's played his whole career at league one level, he'll do fine in L2. Wootton on the other hand, wouldn't have him for my local village team. I cannot believe how relatively young he is, he's less mobile than Guy Branston! We'll need at least 2 centre backs.

We'll need midfielders also, with only Sarce the recognised centre mid. We were light in midfield last season and once one of Sarce, Ness or Fox were unavailable we'd struggle. So likely need 2 or 3 central midfielders.

We'll need wingers, at least one for each flank as we've currently got none I believe. Joel Grant is a reasonable squad option if he signs on, but I wouldn't be looking at him as a starter.

Should Freddie likely go then a striker will need to be added. Maynard rumours suggests strong options are being sought, let's hope we get the ball rolling with contracts being signed. I can imagine it's fairly hard to convince players to join a club that's with such uncertainty over squad, a bit of a catch-22.

Doesnt matter who's in charge if we haven't got anyone around to kick the ball.

May 21, 2015
Can't see Sawyer playing the left wing-back role, almost certainly a shoe-in for left of the 3 centrebacks.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Basically, the starting X1 at the moment more or less picks itself;

GK Cooper
CB Wootton
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer
DM C.Grant
RWB Riley
CM Sarcevic
CM Purrington
LWB Smith-Brown
CF Taylor
CF Ladapo

And when Ladapo goes that leaves Dyson to replace him and Moore as the odd one out.
If Letheren signs, I would argue 1CB, 2CM, 2 more forward-thinking WB's, and 2 CF.

Jul 3, 2013
RKB":qsnwbv0k said:

GK Cooper
CB Wootton
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer
DM C.Grant
RWB Riley
CM Sarcevic
CM Purrington
LWB Smith-Brown
CF Taylor
CF Ladapo

And when Ladapo goes that leaves Dyson to replace him and Moore as the odd one out.
If Letheren signs, I would argue 1CB, 2CM, 2 more forward-thinking WB's, and 2 CF.

I would be very suprised if more than 2 of that list are regular starters next season if Lowe is to play like he did last season. Hopefully Jordan Rossiter is one of his loan signings to play alongside Sarcevic

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Stiffler":7o5qmq0y said:
RKB":7o5qmq0y said:

GK Cooper
CB Wootton
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer
DM C.Grant
RWB Riley
CM Sarcevic
CM Purrington
LWB Smith-Brown
CF Taylor
CF Ladapo

I would be very suprised if more than 2 of that list are regular starters next season if Lowe is to play like he did last season. Hopefully Jordan Rossiter is one of his loan signings to play alongside Sarcevic

Agreed. 2 or 3 max of those players listed will be starters.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Floyd_Pepper":vywwu9uc said:
r4h4al":vywwu9uc said:
Don't think so. Just think we need 1 or 2 CB's. Also depends if we can get Wotton/Canavan/Sawyer off the wage bill.

Probably need another striker or 2 depending on if Fletcher resigns.

Sawyer signed his contract offer, he's going nowhere.

I actually think Sawyer is absolutely perfect to play on the left of a 3 man defence.