Here's one to put you anoraks out there 'on the spot' - 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Here's one to put you anoraks out there 'on the spot' - 8

Jan 11, 2016
There have been five - soon to be six of course! - regular season promotions since 'proper green' bit the dust! So starting with 1974-75 and excluding Warnock's Wembley Wizards which promotion team scored most penalties?

Mar 13, 2017
I have no idea but just so that you have a reply here is my thinking.
Although hitting penalties very hard I don't think Wotton scored that many so I'll discount 01/02 and 03/04.
Rafferty and Mariner scored a lot of goals but I don't remember either of them as penalty takers so I'll discount 74/75.
Down to 2.
Hodges was top scorer in 85/86 which suggest there were not a lot of penalties.
Which leaves me with 16/17 with 7 penalties (Jervis 4 and Carey 3).

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Going for 2001/02 Paul Wotton scored a few from outside the box and a few from the spot too.. only remember Wotton missing one Oldham away where he scored the rebound and got sent off too

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
smudja":1gy3m0so said:
Going for 2001/02 Paul Wotton scored a few from outside the box and a few from the spot too.. only remember Wotton missing one Oldham away where he scored the rebound and got sent off too

I saw him miss two … Derby away and Bournemouth at home.

Jan 11, 2016
You have all been very patient and I reckon now is as good a time as any to let you know the answer and raise some associated points that one of you - perhaps Memory Man - can help with!

The answer is ....

1985-86 13 pens - Coughlin 7, Cooper 4, McElhinney 3

1974-75 3 pens - Rafferty 2, Mariner 1
2001-02 4 pens - Wotton 4
2003-04 3 pens - Wotton 3
2016-17 7 pens - Jervis 4, Carey 3

So can I ask if anyone can put their finger on why the 1985-86 team were awarded so many penalties in comparison with the other promotion teams in the list.
Does anyone have the penalty information for the 3 other promotion teams - 29-30, 51-52 and 58-59?
Finally is it an urban myth that Jimmy Gauld won loads of pens for Wilf Carter to score or is it true - if so what are the stats?

Jan 11, 2016
Oops - just noticed - should be McElhinney - 2 pens - York and Swansea - both away. Incidentally of the 13 pens 6 were at home and 7 away so there was obviously no 'home team bias' from the refs.

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
Dreamgreen":2bezks5f said:
smudja":2bezks5f said:

Are you thinking of the 0-0 draw? If so it was Hasney Aljofree who missed. Also, that was the most exciting 0-0 draw I've ever seen, we battered them and Neil Moss played a blinder.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Kevin_Dacombe":15xe912o said:
Dreamgreen":15xe912o said:
smudja":15xe912o said:

Are you thinking of the 0-0 draw? If so it was Hasney Aljofree who missed. Also, that was the most exciting 0-0 draw I've ever seen, we battered them and Neil Moss played a blinder.
It was Wotton as I remember it. The goalie saved it low to his right down at the Devonport End.

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Kevin_Dacombe":3tpsxh74 said:
I could have sworn it was Hasney? It was years ago now so my memory must have gone!

You could be right because Hasney started that day and Wotton was on the bench. I remember the day because at Noon I was in the dentist's chair in Bideford having a wisdom tooth removed but was still sat in the Lyndhurst in time for kick off.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Green as Grass":270nnopr said:
Kevin_Dacombe":270nnopr said:
I could have sworn it was Hasney? It was years ago now so my memory must have gone!

You could be right because Hasney started that day and Wotton was on the bench. I remember the day because at Noon I was in the dentist's chair in Bideford having a wisdom tooth removed but was still sat in the Lyndhurst in time for kick off.

Wotton came on in the 73rd minute for Lee Hodges. I had my 50th birthday party at Home Park that day. So, unless I was :stout:, it was Wotton !

Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
That article raised a question for me. "13 goal topscorer David Friio." Is my memory playing tricks, or do we (in recent years at least, I go back at best to the early 90s) seem to have better seasons when our top scorer is not a striker?

Jan 11, 2016
No takers in response to the 1951-52 penalty picture or the Jimmy Gauld/Wilf Carter myth? I only saw one game in the Dave Smith 13 penalty season - Blackpool at home on the Saturday before the decisive game with Bristol City on the following Tuesday. Coughlin scored a penalty in Blackpool game but I can't remember the circumstances!
Why did they get such a disproportionately high penalty count? It's probably pretty simple - they got players in numbers, and the ball, in the box on a regular basis. Or did they have someone who was a regular penalty winner?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Not sure why Smith's team got so many pens.

Gary Nelson would probably have earned a few. Memory not what it was though. :think: