• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Your thoughts, praise or criticism and marks out of 10 for today's referee Will Finnie.

The majority of voting in previous home games:

Colchester - John Busby 7/10
L Orient - Antony Coggins 7/10
Salford - Sam Purkiss 5/10
Walsall - Josh Smith 1/10
Reading - Kevin Johnson 8/10

tavigreen

✅ Evergreen
Apr 19, 2009
Thought he bottled a sending off on the lad who took Mayor down, if he hadn’t been booked before he would have had a yellow. Thought he missed the Fadz pen too. Inconsistent in 2nd half.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He definitely bottled sending the Oldham player off for a second yellow, he basically rugby tackled Mayor and prevented an attack.

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
Strange decisions. Booking two players for tackles that didn't actually have any bearing on the play but then so many rugby tackles completely unpunished. Very finicky with his decision re rolling ball at free kicks etc. Thought he was in danger of losing control mid way through the second half. A 4 from me.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Didn't think he was too shocking, certainly better than the other 1st timers we've had this season.

Allowed too much time wasting to go on with their keeper and some of the tackles he let go were crazy.

From where I was sat there never was a penalty.

Jan 2, 2019
Agree with most of the above. Was very inconsistent especially in the second half. At least one Oldham should have gone.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Kevb77":v8p87udu said:
Strange decisions. Booking two players for tackles that didn't actually have any bearing on the play but then so many rugby tackles completely unpunished. Very finicky with his decision re rolling ball at free kicks etc. Thought he was in danger of losing control mid way through the second half. A 4 from me.

Can't understand why you book players for 'technical' or 'professional (cough)' fouls but tackles that wipe a player out or go over the ball onto his legs (they 'did' Riley at least twice!) are not bookable offences.
Mayor tried early on to get into the game and was hauled down, pulled back, obstructed and knocked over every time he got the ball. A good ref sees that and punishes 'foul play'

I'd replace the first 'i' in his surname with an 'a' tbh!! :oops:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":1n8fzp8a said:
Kevb77":1n8fzp8a said:

Can't understand why you book players for 'technical' or 'professional (cough)' fouls but tackles that wipe a player out or go over the ball onto his legs (they 'did' Riley at least twice!) are not bookable offences.
Mayor tried early on to get into the game and was hauled down, pulled back, obstructed and knocked over every time he got the ball. A good ref sees that and punishes 'foul play'

Because the basic criteria for cautions are.....

1 Dissent
2 Unsporting behaviour
3 Persistently infringing the laws of the game, and
4 Entering/leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.

Although the advisory panel have added a few more over the years such as removing shirts etc., what's a yellow and what's a red in the laws hasn't really changed.

In your descriptions above, professional fouls are "unsporting" which are clearly yellows but "tackles that wipe a player out or go over the ball onto his legs" have to be seen as serious foul play for the referee to produce a card and serious foul play attracts a straight red.

An attempt to tackle a player which is late and looks bad isn't on it's own a cautionable offence the first time. The punishment is a direct free kick. Do it again though and it can become persitantly infringing the laws of the game.

Referees are also allowed discretion to use yellow cards as part of their game management if they feel things are getting out of hand. This means that supporters see a card coming out for what they think is for the foul when it is actually for the referee to calm the situation and then when a similar foul occurs with no card, fans shout, inconsistency.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mayor is going to need more protection from referees, although I think he occasionally goes down a bit too easily. I think he is a wonderful player and that’s why he is drawing so many fouls. Not yet being appreciated enough by the supporters, but with him and Baxter in midfield there are going to be some exciting times ahead.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3pbd22pe said:
Pogleswoody":3pbd22pe said:
Kevb77":3pbd22pe said:

1 Dissent
2 Unsporting behaviour

Although the advisory panel have added a few more over the years such as removing shirts etc., what's a yellow and what's a red in the laws hasn't really changed.

In your descriptions above, professional fouls are "unsporting" which are clearly yellows but "tackles that wipe a player out or go over the ball onto his legs" have to be seen as serious foul play for the referee to produce a card and serious foul play attracts a straight red.

An attempt to tackle a player which is late and looks bad isn't on it's own a cautionable offence the first time. The punishment is a direct free kick. Do it again though and it can become persitantly infringing the laws of the game.

Referees are also allowed discretion to use yellow cards as part of their game management if they feel things are getting out of hand. This means that supporters see a card coming out for what they think is for the foul when it is actually for the referee to calm the situation and then when a similar foul occurs with no card, fans shout, inconsistency.

So when Reiley was booked for a foul which was similar to two previous fouls by their players, who weren’t booked, that was to calm the situation and take back control of the game? Hardly seems right.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I gave him an 8 got a lot of decisions right, missed a few things but even the best refs do that. Gave out a few yellow cards which was good.
Chalk and cheese from the ref from the last home game.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenThing":375hynzd said:
Lundan Cabbie":375hynzd said:
Pogleswoody":375hynzd said:
Kevb77":375hynzd said:

1 Dissent
2 Unsporting behaviour

So when Reiley was booked for a foul which was similar to two previous fouls by their players, who weren’t booked, that was to calm the situation and take back control of the game? Hardly seems right.

You're right, It doesn't seem right or fair but it isn't wrong for the referee to take such action. (I'm not saying this was the situation in this particular incident though)

Jul 3, 2013
Never a Penalty in a million years on Faz, won the ball and Faz went over him. The handball shout would have been given by VAR as the played stick his arms up but the ref will never give them off his own back.
He did bottle the sending off and should have booked their midfielder early on for his pull back but apart from that he did little wrong, as frustrating as it is pulling players back for rolling balls and pinching yards, these are things that you find wrong when it happens to your team but it is the correct ruling and you everybody moans when the opposition do it.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I think that the ref.instead of showing a yellow card to" calm the situation" is best to stop the play,call either the captains together,and/or the offending players and tell them that he has had enough,and to behave their selves or else it will be yellow card time.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
For me, one of the most frustrating things in professional football is that ALL referees, including Mr Finnie, are prepared to allow goalkeepers to waste time at goal kicks from, virtually, the first minute of a game.
I am still waiting for a referee to first, warn a keeper early in the game and then, book him the next time that this happens.
I am convinced that it would improve the flow of a game.
I should add that, obviously, if our keeper was time wasting, normally in an away match, I would expect him to be treated in the same way.
It seems to happen at every home game where the keeper goes through various ‘rituals’ before taking a goal kick and the crowd get more and more frustrated because the referees takes no action.