Sunday reflections... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunday reflections...

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Sunday is my reflection time when it comes to Argyle (or Wednesday, if they have a mid-week game - but let’s not get too technical). Others may think differently but, for me, the immediate post-match discussion points when walking back to the car or the thoughts that fill my head on a Saturday evening spent reading PASOTI can often turn out to be drastically modified once I have ’slept on it’ and had time for reflection.

This is not only on the obvious contentious incidents where you leave Home Park incensed at that disallowed goal or penalty that wasn’t given only to see TV coverage later and conclude that what you thought you ’saw’ didn’t turn out to be actually the case. No, my ‘reflection’ time often results in a moderation of my instant opinion and a more measured view, rather than the understandably knee-jerk reaction in the white heat of emotion before the players have had time to shower and grab a pint. Whilst, therefore, I can full understand the intensity of some Saturday evening posters on PASOTI when things have not entirely gone to plan Argyle-wise, I always resist the temptation to add my two-pennarth worth. Admittedly, a lot of that is due to my old Mum drumming into me that ‘if you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say anything at all!’ ;)

There were a lot of ’not very nice’ things said last night - clearly by the passionate and frustrated - in the face of an admittedly disappointing result. I have no doubt that the incredibly optimistic 'winds of change’ and the commensurate raised expectations caused much consternation for many when an Oldham team that was supposed to be ’there for the taking’ wasn’t railroaded according to the script. Predictable and (hopefully) knee-jerk PASOTI comments forged from the furnace of disappointment included ’That was terrible!’, ‘Worse performance of the season’, ’That was awful’, ’Terrible defensive performance’, ‘Lucky to get a point’, ‘As awful as it can possibly get’, ’Shambles’, ‘Crowds starting to drop’, ‘Dreadful, we were dreadful’, ’Beginning to regret buying a season ticket’. I could go on but just typing that is sending me into a spiral of depression.

And, if I had not been at Home Park yesterday, I think I could be excused for concluding that the fourth horseman of the apocalypse was about to gallop into the centre circle in view of a woefully calamitous performance. Except that I was at Home Park yesterday and whilst I was as disappointed as most over the failure to win I really didn’t think that things were that bad, taking all factors into account.

In case I had lost all sense of perspective and I had, indeed, actually witnessed the ‘worse performance of the season’ (I have seen every first team match at Home Park this year) I braced myself this Sunday morning and watched the complete match again on iFollow. With a much better view of play, the benefit of pauses and replays of incidents and, most importantly, ‘reflection’ I saw an Argyle side that, in my opinion, played with endeavour, structure, cohesion and no little degree of skill and technique against, again in my opinion, a well-drilled, lively, combative (!) Oldham side who, to their credit, always tried to take the game to Argyle and never attempted to ‘park the bus’. I thought that Oldham were far from ‘mugs’ and it would have been necessary for Argyle to be at their very best to comfortably run out as winners.

To be fair to the critics, I don’t think Argyle were at their very best yesterday but neither could I find any reason to account for the negative hyperbole espoused by many, admittedly disappointed, contributors last night. I agree with the equally vociferous posters who seem to accept that ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’ and that patience will need to be at the fore as the season progresses. Whether I would have felt the same way when I heard the ref’s full-time whistle yesterday, however, is open to debate - but that’s the benefit of reflection, isn’t it? ;) :scarf:

Oct 14, 2015
Look on the bright side, wasn’t Paul Hurst being mentioned to follow DA into the managerial Argyle seat?? See how well that’s worked out at the moment for Scunthorpe (and Songo )

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Welwyn Pilgrim":crc1v0c9 said:
Look on the bright side, wasn’t Paul Hurst being mentioned to follow DA into the managerial Argyle seat?? See how well that’s worked out at the moment for Scunthorpe (and Songo )

:funny:

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
Discussed things in pub with others that went. Reflection hasn’t changed after a night to sleep on it. Every team has an off day and to play poorly and still get a point is a positive. You take anything when you don’t play well but we all agreed we were hindered by a ref who didn’t blow for an obvious push before the corner that lead to their equaliser and bottling a sending off. I think our team will get it together and will be a right handful.

Apr 4, 2004
Without a doubt an off day. But there were still some really good passages of play. We could on another day have won the game. Although winning would have been harsh on Oldham. They made a game of it and caused us problems.
I like the way we play. It looked like Oldham were more effective at pressing when we had the ball and this unsettled us. We didn't always have the belief we could play when they were pressing. We also couldn't unsettle them enough when they had the ball for my liking. Perhaps that's what RL meant when he said we looked leggy. Loved Cooper. I think he has to start. We don't seem to make it easy for ourselves to get out from the back. In earlier games I saw more variety of balls out from GK. So less predictable and harder to stop. Before it was midfielders, forwards making that sharp run into the pockets to receive the ball from Palmer. That's not happening as much now. Maybe that was credit to Oldham and their pressing.

We are a work in progress and I really think we will be very hard to stop when we click and perhaps make one or two more squad changes. It seems we are not totally comfortable playing out from the back. A number of time our CBs just cleared it but there was a problem with movement and giving them options.
I hate the moans. This is a fantastic time for our club and we have really good things ahead. We need to just be patient. Lowe might not realise that we have played trash football for years. All some Argyle fans know is get rid of it or get it in the box. Patient football has rarely been seen round these parts. It's going to take time.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Mark58":2all46zc said:
Sunday is my reflection time when it comes to Argyle (or Wednesday, if they have a mid-week game - but let’s not get too technical). Others may think differently but, for me, the immediate post-match discussion points when walking back to the car or the thoughts that fill my head on a Saturday evening spent reading PASOTI can often turn out to be drastically modified once I have ’slept on it’ and had time for reflection.

This is not only on the obvious contentious incidents where you leave Home Park incensed at that disallowed goal or penalty that wasn’t given only to see TV coverage later and conclude that what you thought you ’saw’ didn’t turn out to be actually the case. No, my ‘reflection’ time often results in a moderation of my instant opinion and a more measured view, rather than the understandably knee-jerk reaction in the white heat of emotion before the players have had time to shower and grab a pint. Whilst, therefore, I can full understand the intensity of some Saturday evening posters on PASOTI when things have not entirely gone to plan Argyle-wise, I always resist the temptation to add my two-pennarth worth. Admittedly, a lot of that is due to my old Mum drumming into me that ‘if you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say anything at all!’ ;)

There were a lot of ’not very nice’ things said last night - clearly by the passionate and frustrated - in the face of an admittedly disappointing result. I have no doubt that the incredibly optimistic 'winds of change’ and the commensurate raised expectations caused much consternation for many when an Oldham team that was supposed to be ’there for the taking’ wasn’t railroaded according to the script. Predictable and (hopefully) knee-jerk PASOTI comments forged from the furnace of disappointment included ’That was terrible!’, ‘Worse performance of the season’, ’That was awful’, ’Terrible defensive performance’, ‘Lucky to get a point’, ‘As awful as it can possibly get’, ’Shambles’, ‘Crowds starting to drop’, ‘Dreadful, we were dreadful’, ’Beginning to regret buying a season ticket’. I could go on but just typing that is sending me into a spiral of depression.

And, if I had not been at Home Park yesterday, I think I could be excused for concluding that the fourth horseman of the apocalypse was about to gallop into the centre circle in view of a woefully calamitous performance. Except that I was at Home Park yesterday and whilst I was as disappointed as most over the failure to win I really didn’t think that things were that bad, taking all factors into account.

In case I had lost all sense of perspective and I had, indeed, actually witnessed the ‘worse performance of the season’ (I have seen every first team match at Home Park this year) I braced myself this Sunday morning and watched the complete match again on iFollow. With a much better view of play, the benefit of pauses and replays of incidents and, most importantly, ‘reflection’ I saw an Argyle side that, in my opinion, played with endeavour, structure, cohesion and no little degree of skill and technique against, again in my opinion, a well-drilled, lively, combative (!) Oldham side who, to their credit, always tried to take the game to Argyle and never attempted to ‘park the bus’. I thought that Oldham were far from ‘mugs’ and it would have been necessary for Argyle to be at their very best to comfortably run out as winners.

To be fair to the critics, I don’t think Argyle were at their very best yesterday but neither could I find any reason to account for the negative hyperbole espoused by many, admittedly disappointed, contributors last night. I agree with the equally vociferous posters who seem to accept that ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’ and that patience will need to be at the fore as the season progresses. Whether I would have felt the same way when I heard the ref’s full-time whistle yesterday, however, is open to debate - but that’s the benefit of reflection, isn’t it? ;) :scarf:

If a like button existed then I would certainly press it now.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
justanotherfan":2ejyzoca said:

Err. There is this green button just below all posts. It says "like button?". Perhaps try hitting that :eh:

Jan 2, 2010
AdelaideGreen":lw5ei301 said:
justanotherfan":lw5ei301 said:

Err. There is this green button just below all posts. It says "like button?". Perhaps try hitting that :eh:
Not for me.
Just says 'like button (?)' and pressing it takes me to a coding web page telling me I can install like buttons on my site.

Jan 20, 2004
First visit to Home Park this season and much better feel on and off the pitch than last season.

Oldham switched on from the start, we were at half pace until they scored. I think overall we were the better team.

Our fitness levels don't look great and this maybe down to Ryan Lowe's late appointment, late recruitments, thus not the ideal pre season.

We are a work in progress and if anyrhing our centre halves look the weakest link and need to think and move the ball around quicker to find space if we are going to play out from the back.

Driving back feeling optimistic, just not comfortable seeing Exeter creeping away at the top.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
AdelaideGreen":19gw8ppr said:
justanotherfan":19gw8ppr said:

As Mr Shadowknight explained, should try first Mr AG. :twisted:

I believe the assumption we would roll over Oldham because of their poor start is a big cause of the frustration. If that game had been against, say, top of the table Excretia, then the post match views would have been different.

Oldham have made some good signings and now have a good manager, and it was only going to be a matter of time before they effectively gelled. When they end up in the top quarter of the table we may look back on a good point gained.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
oldage":2p0nz57u said:
Ah ,yes,a point home against the mighty Oldham!

My first game on Saturday so I have no comparison point, but Oldham looked pretty sharp to me, passing the ball, moving off the ball and certainly 'combative' in the tackle.
I suspect that they are also a team build underway.
You really think they'll finish in the bottom half? I don't.