Brief Synopsis | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
A frustrating evening in the end with Argyle being dominant for long periods of the game but only come away with a point.

The first-half was an even affair with Argyle playing the better football but Crawley looking more dangerous in attack. They were a fit and physical bunch but with a degree of finesse here and there as well.

Much of our play was across the back and down the flanks which despite all the attractiveness of our football, actually made it quite easy to defend against. That said, we did break into the middle on occasions looking more threatening - Moore should have down better and Mayor with a few sublime runs where he almost seems to glide above the ground. Aimson also had a good shot saved at the foot of the post.

Scrappy goal for them really - a deflected cross to which they reacted quicker than us as the ball bobbled across the box wrongfooting everybody.

The second-half was a quite different affair. A bright start saw Aimson free and 6 yards out but his volleyed effort hit the keeper as he spread himself hoping for the best. Crawley rallied only for Argyle to reassert and Baxter had a good long range shot saved. Now the tails were up and there followed a 20 minute period of unrelenting pressure. This was the best I'd seen us so far this season with quicker and more direct attacking play - still being created down the flanks but with much more purpose.

Edwards was johnny on the spot unmarked at the back post following a cross with the outside of the foot by McFadzean (I think) that evaded everyone. Argyle came again with wave after wave of attacks and as the ball ran into the path of Edwards he lashed it in from an angle.

So deserved.

Yet, as often happens we were in immediate retreat from the restart and after a few worrying skirmishes, Fadz made a clumsy challenge on a runner which was penalised and there were no complaints.

So disappointing.

Some real positives as in the second-half period described above, but most of all for me the performance of Aimson. Strong and effective at both ends - could he be the missing dominant central defender?

Baxter injured - muscular?? Moore - same?? Fadz also seemed to tweak a hammy at one point but carried on with no ill effects it seemed.

Palmer - 6 - nothing of note really - good or bad.
Edwards - 7 - busy but still prefer him central.
McFadzean - 7 - better second-half, shame about the pen.
Sawyer - 7 - steady as usual
Aimson - 9 - didn't see him put a foot wrong and he will improve our threat from set pieces.
Grant - 8 - very good.
Baxter - 8 - poor start with wayward passing but came to influence the game strongly.
Mayor - 8 - some wonderful runs and interplay.
Sarcevic - 7 - the quieter of the midfield trio.
Grant - 7 - contributed all round but no goal threat.
Moore - 6 - should have done better with a good chance.

Telford - 7 - harried defenders when he came on
Wooton - N/A
Rudden - N/A

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
Reading the Crawley forum they think a point hard won for them. Seems like a really good away performance and we should be praising the lads for a good shift put in. I think an important match tonight and we did ourselves proud. Sometimes the points don’t quite show that but feeling like this is a good outing leading into a home game that we can aim to win

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Difficult to add more to the original post which is pretty much what I saw. Depressing little ground which is a reminder that we are indeed back in the basement. Two soft goals conceded, the second after a fifteen minute spell where we dominated and suddenly we were in headless chicken mode. If anyone was going to score after they equalised it was Crawley. We are very much still a work in progress.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Frustrating is an understatement. When we were good we were so good, but what we were bad at we were so bad.

The movement going forward was fluid and the player’s loved it with enthusiasm obvious. The lack of confidence due to recent games seemed to rear its head too with some woeful moments when we weren’t in possession.

When we went 2-1 up Crawley couldn’t get the ball, but our second goal seemed to be the final meaningful touch we had as from that point we chased shadows and could have lost.

Two steps forward, one step back and shuffle sideways.

I didn’t mention McFadzean’s tackle. Every Argyle fan tried to telepath the message to not lunge in, but sadly the blood was flowing and he did.

Final point we must work at corners. We seemed to have about 10 and managed nothing with any of them.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Watched on ifollow and thought it was an excellent performance, apart from the 2 defensive aberrations.
Yes, first half was at times a little disjointed but the ease with which Mayor and Moore were going past players filled me with hope, and the second half was terrific and brutally one-sided.
No-one knows what would have happened if Fadz had let Grego-Cox go rather than bring him down- I can understand him making the challenge.
If and when Danny Mayor starts producing 7 out of 10 performances or more then League 2 better brace itself. At a current out of form 6/6.5 most defences in the bottom tier appear to have little answer to his trickery.
Aimson made a massive difference at the back- calm, assured and excellent distribution. Yes, without Wootton and Canavan we lose height in both boxes, but I thought we looked relatively solid at the back, even when Ollie Palmer came on.
We need a ruthless streak. We created enough opportunities to win 2 matches. But that is so much of a plus.
Someone is going to get an absolute hiding soon...

Palmer 6.5
Aimson 8.0
Josh Grant 7.0
Sawyer 6.5
Baxter 7.0
Edwards 7.5
Sarcevic 7.5
Mayor 6.5
McFadzean 7.0
Moore 7.0
Joel Grant 6.5

Subs
Telford 6.5
Wootton N/A
Rudden N/A

Oct 14, 2015
Only thing I will add to the comprehensive reports already posted is that we gave away a ridiculous number of free kicks in dangerous areas last 5 minutes anyone of which could have led to them snatching a goal

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":3d1iq56s said:
A frustrating evening in the end with Argyle being dominant for long periods of the game but only come away with a point.

The first-half was an even affair with Argyle playing the better football but Crawley looking more dangerous in attack. They were a fit and physical bunch but with a degree of finesse here and there as well.

Much of our play was across the back and down the flanks which despite all the attractiveness of our football, actually made it quite easy to defend against. That said, we did break into the middle on occasions looking more threatening - Moore should have down better and Mayor with a few sublime runs where he almost seems to glide above the ground. Aimson also had a good shot saved at the foot of the post.

Scrappy goal for them really - a deflected cross to which they reacted quicker than us as the ball bobbled across the box wrongfooting everybody.

The second-half was a quite different affair. A bright start saw Aimson free and 6 yards out but his volleyed effort hit the keeper as he spread himself hoping for the best. Crawley rallied only for Argyle to reassert and Baxter had a good long range shot saved. Now the tails were up and there followed a 20 minute period of unrelenting pressure. This was the best I'd seen us so far this season with quicker and more direct attacking play - still being created down the flanks but with much more purpose.

Edwards was johnny on the spot unmarked at the back post following a cross with the outside of the foot by McFadzean (I think) that evaded everyone. Argyle came again with wave after wave of attacks and as the ball ran into the path of Edwards he lashed it in from an angle.

So deserved.

Yet, as often happens we were in immediate retreat from the restart and after a few worrying skirmishes, Fadz made a clumsy challenge on a runner which was penalised and there were no complaints.

So disappointing.

Some real positives as in the second-half period described above, but most of all for me the performance of Aimson. Strong and effective at both ends - could he be the missing dominant central defender?

Baxter injured - muscular?? Moore - same?? Fadz also seemed to tweak a hammy at one point but carried on with no ill effects it seemed.

Palmer - 6 - nothing of note really - good or bad.
Edwards - 7 - busy but still prefer him central.
McFadzean - 7 - better second-half, shame about the pen.
Sawyer - 7 - steady as usual
Aimson - 9 - didn't see him put a foot wrong and he will improve our threat from set pieces.
Grant - 8 - very good.
Baxter - 8 - poor start with wayward passing but came to influence the game strongly.
Mayor - 8 - some wonderful runs and interplay.
Sarcevic - 7 - the quieter of the midfield trio.
Grant - 7 - contributed all round but no goal threat.
Moore - 6 - should have done better with a good chance.

Telford - 7 - harried defenders when he came on
Wooton - N/A
Rudden - N/A

Dont know which game he was watching first half but it was NOT even. We were by far the better side with their keeper making 3 excellent saves whilst Palmer was redundant after their goal. We were even better 2nd half until we went 2.1 up then seemed to lose the plot. Baxter ran the show in midfield. We wont be far away if we keep playing like that. Helluva lot more entertaining than watching Adams teams away(League 1 & 2).

Mar 5, 2012
Well I have to say that it makes a nice change to read reports which mirror what I watched.... Pretty much each post were about right.

Particularly the bit about watching in slow motion.... Both the first goal and the penalty were so painful to watch, you could see both happening before they did!

Watched from the Crawley grandstand amongst loads of season ticket holders and they were all saying how good we looked and how they were lucky to get a point. It was hard to hold it in for our two goals though, I did my best to show restraint and didn't get any abuse so must've done ok!

I echo what someone said about our corners, we seem to have no plan with them whatsoever, I lost count of how many overhit balls we made, particularly from the corners.

Josh grant and will aimson were a welcome sight tonight, I thought they brought a calmness that we've not seen of late (save the first scramble on their first goal).

I agree too that whilst Baxter did look better as the game went on, we did look more organised when Edwards returned to that position.

I would also like to make a special mention for Joel Grant, who has his detractors on here. I thought he battled really hard today and with the exception of one pass which found their keeper, he hardly lost the ball tonight, he had two and three on him (and I mean on him) at times tonight and he always managed to keep hold of it or find a green shirt.

Scores for me;
Palmer. 6
Aimson. 8
Grant. 8
Sawyer. 7
Fadz. 6
Edwards. 7
Baxter. 7
Mayor. 7
Sarcevic. 8
JV Grant. 8
Moore. 6

Subs
Telford. 6

Ref. 8 tried.to let it flow and generally did alright

We just need to get that final ball into the box right and someone was right, we will paste someone.

Oct 14, 2015
Just to add that if you get the opportunity to watch the bit of skill from Mayor in the build up to our second goal....their player is still looking for Mayor

Melbourne Mark

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Looking forward to Cheltenham on Saturday after this spirited performance. Frustrating to not get the win after going ahead with a great brace from Edwards, although when not in possession and the ball is in our half we seem overly vulnerable. And the short goal kicks caused a few unnecessary panics.

Not much to add to the posts above, however the shape isn’t quite there’s no one in the middle to take control of the game. If this team had a diagouraga type providing physical presence and drive we’d prosper.

Apr 5, 2008
Don't know which match the OP was watching but Crawley didn't create the better chances in the first half, apart from their lucky goal they didn't threaten in the first half all.
We dominated most of the entire game and should have scored more than two goals.
Wish we had continued playing as we did upto scoring the ,2nd goal and we would have easily win the match.

However once we went ahead we seemed to switch off completely and allowed Crawley to take charge,for the remainder of the match.really frustrating

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I thought the OP was spot on and he didn't say Crawley created the better chances first half did he? The 20 to 30 minute purple patch we enjoyed second half was quite breathtaking at times for League 2..A great shame we didn't secure the 3 points we deserved.

Apr 5, 2008
Carry on playing like we did for most of that match for the rest of the season and we won't be far away from the top of the league,pleasure to watch this team now :scarf: