Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Carlisle United
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

The countdown to Carlisle

Tuesday

The referee for Saturday's match is Alan Young who has issued 43 yellow cards and two reds in 11 games this season. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in November last season for the FA Cup First Round win against Stevenage at Home Park.
He will be assisted by Simon Shaw and Sam Ogles while the fourth official is Justin Amey.

Carlisle currently sit in 20th place in League Two on 14 points, winning two and losing four of the six away games played so far; keeping just one clean sheet away from home in the league this season.

Former Argyle winger Nathan Thomas, on-loan at Carlisle from Sheffield United, refused to do extra training on Thursday last week and was subsequently left out of the matchday squad to face Crewe Alexandra at the weekend .... News and Star

Argyle have a home record of winning 14 games of 20 played against Carlisle at Home Park, drawing two games and losing four.

Wednesday

According to Sky Bet Argyle are favourites to win at 5/6, a Carlisle win has odds of 3/1 and the draw is on offer at 5/2.

Carlisle Director of Football David Holdsworth talked about the pressure on manager Steven Pressley ...
“Any manager, when they’re not getting results, they’re under pressure. That’s at every club.
“He will be angry, he will be annoyed. Only Steven can say whether he feels let down by some of his players. I have my thoughts that they are letting him down, because I know how hard he works.
News and Star

Carlisle beat Blackpool 2-1 in an EFL Trophy game at Brunton Park on Tuesday evening in front of 911, the sixth lowest attendance in Carlisle's history.
The local Carlisle newspaper published a damning article about the EFL Trophy and a match report .... News and Star

Match Sponsors

Injury problems for Carlisle..... News and Star

Thursday

Former Argyle striker Paul McGregor will be the half-time guest ... club website

Visitor Guide to Home Park

Carlisle fans at The Cumbrians.Net website have kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into their club with a Q&A.

Q: What are your thoughts on Carlisle's season so far?
A: Indifferent. Massive overhaul of personnel in the Summer, that hasn’t clicked yet. There’s been glimpses, but not enough, defensively in particular. Our flair players have been very hit and miss too, and our strikers not firing all cyclinders. Frustrating basically!

Q: What are your views on manager Steven Pressley?
A: I’d says he’s akin to Marmite. Some like, others don’t. He has ideas, but some feel they’re too much for L2. The defeat to Crewe on Saturday saw a noticeable change in feeling though with some chants of ‘Pressley Out’ being aired. A big couple of weeks coming up for him.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Carlisle in a stable state at the moment?
A: Yes and no. We’re owned by 3 local businessmen and our Supporters Trust. Only one of the four has any money though, which has lead to Edinburgh Woollen Mill ‘loaning’ the Club upwards of £1m at the last accounts (They’re owned by a local done well - Philip Day, a billionaire - but he has no interest in football much!). If he ever called the debt in, we’d be up poo creek, but having moved their head office to Carlisle recently, it’s highly unlikely this would happen. Change is needed though.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position for Carlisle in League Two for this season?
A: We’re not good enough to bother the promotion race, and we’ve enough about us to keep out of the relegation mix, so a dull 14th is likely! 

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Carlisle likely to use against Argyle?
A: We’ve adapted a 3-5-2 in the last couple of weeks, after beginning the season with a 4-3-3. We try to play out from the back (One of SP’s philosophies) but we’re not very good at it! 

Q:: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Similar to us in terms of the location issue, but definitely a Club who could be higher up the League’s, with a good sized catchment area. With your ground nearing completion from redevelopment there’s no reason why the Championship shouldn’t be an aim?

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: We’d take a 0-0 and run now!
-----------------------------------
Matchday Mascots

Inside Carlisle

Friday

Carlisle's season so far.... club website

Jon Colman of Carlisle's News and Star gives his insiders view of the Cumbrians .... Plymouth Live

Joe Riley talks about Saturday's game ... club website

Carlisle manager Steven Pressley talks about Argyle ....
“I’ve watched Plymouth’s game from last weekend and they played some great stuff, but I’ve got great confidence in us.
“If we go about the game in the way we did on Tuesday and at Newport then I think we’ve got a real chance.
“They’re a very good side with some real match winners in their team. They’re a team who are expected to be challenging in the top three in the league, so it’s another really tough game.

“They’ve been hard to beat at home but I’m sure they would have liked to have turned some of the draws they’ve had into wins. They have good threats but we know we can be a match for them.
“We’ll have fans making the journey expecting us to win and that’s certainly what we’ll try to do for them.”

Saturday

Carlisle Stats

Carlisle manager Steven Pressley looks ahead to the game ... News and Star

Joe Riley talks about playing at Home Park ....
“I’ve been in the situation when I came here with Bury a few years ago and you know it’s one of the best grounds in the league.
“You do raise your game for it. You look forward to coming out here and playing in front of 10,000 fans because you don’t always get that in League Two.
“The Green Army have been terrific. They got a lot of praise for last week and rightly so, it was outstanding to make those numbers, especially at our level of football.
“It shows what a great group of fans they are. They’ve been great this season and I’m sure they will be again on Saturday.”

Ryan Lowe talks about the game ... Club website

Graham Little will be in the club superstore before the game signing copies of his book 'Little on the Inside'.

Complete info on the game ... Carlisle Ready Reckoner

Carlisle manager Steven Pressley talks about the chances of former Argyle winger Nathan Thomas playing against his former club.... News and Star

Mar 23, 2008
Carlisle haven't started well and a long trip down, the type of game we must look to win.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Carlisle beat Blackpool 2-1 in an EFL Trophy game at Brunton Park on Tuesday evening in front of 911, the sixth lowest attendance in Carlisle's history.

I may not be reading this correctly but if 911 is Carlisle's SIXTH lowest ever attendance what was the actual lowest - three men and a dog? :lol:

Aug 23, 2009
Southway
Still 911 too many in that ridiculous competition.
Good article by the local Carlisle newspaper too. Can’t imagine the herald writing a piece like that.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
SatisfiedinSouthway":agwxjkcd said:
Still 911 too many in that ridiculous competition.
Good article by the local Carlisle newspaper too. Can’t imagine the herald writing a piece like that.

I agree. Excellent piece that should be brought to the attention of the EFL but, sadly, they would still ignore the vast majority of fans for whom the involvement of Premier League-Lite teams is anathema.

Jan 21, 2007
My first Argyle game was home to Carlisle about 18 years ago ... they had a player sent off in the first half, we won 4-0, and the away fans were singing "we've been up since 4am" ... both of them :funny:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
That is a very good article from the News and Star and well worth a read for those who haven't looked at it. ....Chris Errington would never write anything as good or as critical...

Sep 25, 2010
oddball":2dfkd63q said:
That is a very good article from the News and Star and well worth a read for those who haven't looked at it. ....Chris Errington would never write anything as good or as critical...

Chris is a good journalist, why have you got something against him.

He writes some very good articles. Why wouldn’t he write something similar

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Martyn ..Chis Errington has never written a critical piece ever as a chief football writer for the Herald....even in the dark days....its not his style...plus I don't think he is a good journalist...my opinion.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
oddball":1si3q4c7 said:
Martyn ..Chis Errington has never written a critical piece ever as a chief football writer for the Herald....even in the dark days....its not his style...plus I don't think he is a good journalist...my opinion.

Many, including myself, would disagree with your assertion, Odders. For well over 20 years Chris has reported on Argyle and has always tried to reflect supporters feelings in questions he’s asked of managers and has reported fairly and without prejudice in his match reports. Rarely have I disagreed with his opinion or player’s ratings.

In the ‘dark days’ as you put it the editorial decision of the Herald was that Chris would concentrate on on-field matters and Edd Moore on the off-field It was an effective combination.

Notwithstanding his conventional approach to reporting on Argyle matters Chris has often written opinion pieces, particularly back in the day when the Herald was more of a campaigning newspaper with a much wider circulation. Sometimes he has not endeared himself to managers (John Sheridan) in particular) and Chairmen (Dan Macauley and the infamous Cherry Picker!)

More recently he has had to adapt to the continual demands of online articles to drive up clicks on the Plymouth Live website. He has also used Twitter very effectively to inform at the speed demanded by an avaricious thirst for news on all things Argyle.

A good journalist informs his audience in a respected and authoritative manner. Chris has done so successfully for many years and long may it continue despite the desperate challenges his newspaper faces in a competitive media world.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Graham Clark":39ynqelx said:
oddball":39ynqelx said:

Many, including myself, would disagree with your assertion, Odders. For well over 20 years Chris has reported on Argyle and has always tried to reflect supporters feelings in questions he’s asked of managers and has reported fairly and without prejudice in his match reports. Rarely have I disagreed with his opinion or player’s ratings.

In the ‘dark days’ as you put it the editorial decision of the Herald was that Chris would concentrate on on-field matters and Edd Moore on the off-field It was an effective combination.

Notwithstanding his conventional approach to reporting on Argyle matters Chris has often written opinion pieces, particularly back in the day when the Herald was more of a campaigning newspaper with a much wider circulation. Sometimes he has not endeared himself to managers (John Sheridan) in particular) and Chairmen (Dan Macauley and the infamous Cherry Picker!)

More recently he has had to adapt to the continual demands of online articles to drive up clicks on the Plymouth Live website. He has also used Twitter very effectively to inform at the speed demanded by an avaricious thirst for news on all things Argyle.

A good journalist informs his audience in a respected and authoritative manner. Chris has done so successfully for many years and long may it continue despite the desperate challenges his newspaper faces in a competitive media world.
Precisely. Chris Errington is an excellent sports journalist and deserves the respect of Argyle supporters for his sensible and perceptive match reports and other articles.
He was also one of the best co-commentators on Radio Devon, particularly when he was working with Sparksy.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I take the view that Chris Errington was and is an ideal successor to Rupert Metcalf as the pre-dominant Plymouth based journalist covering Argyle F C.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I regard Alan (Oddball) as a friend, but he likes very little apart from moaning. :greensmile:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
IJN":k2ylk7py said:
I regard Alan (Oddball) as a friend, but he likes very little apart from moaning. :greensmile:

I`ve known Alf (Alan) all his life and we were work colleagues for some time, but this almost terminal pessimism is a fairly recent trait. Green through and through and all his posts are his own views and honestly held. :thumbup: