Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) No Mayor, Telford, Taylor, Lolos, C Grant or Baxter. George Cooper lined up in Mayor's place alongside Sarcevic with Edward's anchoring the midfield. Rudden and Grant were the attacking pair with Moore, Wilson and new signing Clarke the more attacking options from the bench.

2) What little quality there was in the first half came from Argyle and in particular from Sarcevic and Cooper. Edwards had a good half too. There was only one moment of panic but Palmer watched the danger past.

3) The referee liked a yellow card and booked 4-5 players in the first 45, some deserved and some not. The defence looked reasonably solid and there wasnt a costly mistake from a defence that lookws dull of them earlier in the season.

4) Argyle had the best of the possession and deserved their half-time lead although the manner of it was a bit odd as crowd and scorer (J Grant) waited an age for the ball to bounce and trickle over the line.

5) Scrappy start to the second with neither team able to impose themselves. Carlisle hit the top of the bar a couple of times with crossed and won a couple of corners. Argyle attacks seemed to break down in the final move.

6) With 20 to go Argyle finally showed some class and brought the home crowd to their feet with a period of sustained attacking play. We just couldn't find the final ball. Moore replaced Rudden. 10 minutes later Cooper went off for Clarke.

7) Argyle were now playing with a 3 man attack. First Cooper with Moore and Grant either side then Clarke with the same wide pair. Grant looked shattered and a couple of times it was a very tired Grant who couldn't get the final ball away

8 ) Into the final 5 and Grant replaced Grant. Argyle rode their luck as Wootton and Riley took it in turns to give the ball away. There was time for McFadzean to do his collapse in a heap routine - as usual to no effect before Sarcevic buried the best move of the game to finish the game.

9) Cooper probably my man of the match although Grant worked hard and Canavan and Edwards also played well. Not a classic but after a fallow period a deserved 3 points. We made hard work of beating a team that we should have put away convincingly but a win is a win.

Alex Palmer - 7
Scott Wootton - 5
Niall Canavan - 7
Gary Sawyer - 6
Joe Riley - 7
Joe Edwards - 8
George Cooper - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Callum McFadzean - 6
Joel Grant - 7
Zak Rudden - 7

Mike Cooper - unused
Will Aimson - unused
Josh Grant - 5
Adam Randell - unused
Rubin Wilson - unused
Billy Clarke - 5
Byron Moore - 6

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A good, solid performance. Nothing spectacular but a deserved win.

Our form is looking a lot better.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Five games unbeaten is a positive. 1 point from the play offs yet 3 points from 18th, it's a tight league. A big week ahead next week and 4 more points would be very welcome.

Nov 9, 2008
We won. We were the better of a poor side and a truly awful one. We really missed Danny Mayor.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
mde203":34dlv3kk said:
We won. We were the better of a poor side and a truly awful one. We really missed Danny Mayor.
I saw it similarly - we were poor they were abysmal. A welcome 3 points.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Non many minutes on the pitch but to me Clarke seemed an intelligent player with some neat touches who might offer something.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
mde203":3sjse77n said:

Think that’s harsh.

We did what most food teams would do to a team like Carlisle. We kept them at bay by controlling periods in possession and out of possession. It was fairly comfortable and you felt we had another gear to go to if needed.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A solid display and a welcome functional win.

The late great second goal by Sarcevic sealed the three points; up until that point the result was in the balance and we were looking to run down the clock.
We had a very good first half with Carlisle hardly threatening our goal while Carlisle had the better of the second half (hitting the crossbar twice) and we rarely threatened their goal. Overall Carlisle had more possession and more efforts on goal than us but it's goals that count and we scored two and Carlisle didn't.

The attendance continued the downward trend with another drop for this game. The crowd deserved credit for spurring the team on late in the second half when it looked like Carlisle would sneak a draw, the atmosphere was raised a few levels and the fans can claim an assist for the second goal!

Just one former Bury player started the game and Ryan Lowe played the Derek Adams defence of Wootton, Sawyer and Canavan. New signing Billy Clarke was on the bench but was to make a great cameo appearance late in the game.

We started well with George Cooper playing in the Danny Mayor role on the left, although for this game not everything went down our left side, we mixed it up more and it was evident that the team is now playing longer balls into the channels , as was the case against Swindon. The short passing style is still being used but not all of the time.

The first chance fell to Sarcevic after he got on the end of a Sawyer cross but his close range shot was smothered by the Carlisle keeper.
Edwards had a run at the defence and should have played in Rudden, however he chose the wrong option and the pass to Cooper was cleared.
Rudden and Joel Grant were full of running upfront and caused the Carlisle back three some problems with their movement.

The goal finally came when Cooper floated in a cross to Grant, his shot was partially saved by the Carlisle keeper but thankfully the ball bounced over the line. 1-0.

By now the ref Alan Young was throwing around yellow cards like there was no tomorrow, the bookings were mainly aimed at a player in a green shirt for what was usually a first misdemeanour, I hope Alan Young will remember, a southern fan don't need him around, anyhow.

Rudden had a chance but fired well over and Sawyer had a header go over, at the other end Palmer was virtually a spectator.

The second half was different, we appeared to want to contain rather than attack and grab the killer second goal.
It was Carlisle who were now on the front foot, a speculative cross hit the crossbar with Palmer floundering and the impressive Webster saw his header from a corner smash off the crossbar.

The tiring Rudden was replaced by Byron Moore but it was still Carlisle who looked the more likely to score, the Green Army realised this and rallied their team who were helped by the introduction of Clarke for Cooper. His movement and dropping deep gave us a new dimension upfront.

With time running out and Josh Grant brought on as a defensive midfielder we grabbed the killer second goal in the 92nd minute when Sarcevic smashed in a 25-yard LEFT foot shot into the corner of the goal. 2-0 and game over.

It wasn't a convincing performance but a great win.

Sawyer had a great game, he pushed forward more than his counterpart Wootton on the other side of the defence and often played as a wing-back.
Canavan gives the team a ball-playing composed centre-back compared to Aimson who is more of a robust tough tackling centre-back.
Wootton get's criticised by fans but he's there to defend and he did that well enough today, often getting his head or foot on the ball to break up play, yes his passing and distribution is poor and our attacks break down when he's trying to find a player.

Cooper kept the ball well although he didn't really grab his chance in Mayor's absence, he needed to be involved more.
Rudden worked hard with no reward, he just needs goal or two to complete his overall game.

Is Joel Grant our free scoring striker? Another goal for him today, his third in three games.
Sarcevic started the game really well and then disappeared only to reappear and take control of the game late in the second half capped by a fantastic goal. A strange game for him.

It looks like Edwards has had a talking to because you could see him make a real effort today to playing the ball quicker and forward to get the team moving, he usually plays sideways passes and has been criticised by Lowe for not being forward thinking enough.

Clarke could be a real find, I like the way he dropped deep to pick up the ball, lay it off before sprinting to get into the box.

I was impressed with Webster at centre-back for Carlisle, big and strong and also comfortable on the ball. If we ever need a defender in January.....

Man of the match - Sawyer.

Palmer 6, Wootton 6, Canavan 7, Sawyer 8, Edwards 6, Riley 6, Sarcevic 7, Cooper 6, McFadzean 6, Rudden 6, Joel Grant 7. Subs - B Moore 6, Clarke 7, Josh Grant n/a.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
A massive improvement from the last home game (which may have been the worst game of football I have seen at home park in a long time) and i thought a number of really good performances:

- Sawyer (my MoM)
- Cooper (thought he looked really good)
- Edwards (a hugely important anchor - why do we ever play him as right back?)
- Sarcevic (put a shift in and a sweet strike at the end)

I also thought Clarke looked good in his cameo. Some very good touches, 100% pass completion and looked surprisingly sharp to me.

Riley defended well I thought but he really is struggling going forward.

Nice to see a bit of variety in our forward play too. Far less one dimensional today

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought Carlisle were the poorest side I've seen since us at Accrington Stanley.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Bernie Bernbaum":yxuekj5r said:
Nice Skynyrd reference there Postcode.

Nice to be able to relax and have a laugh, after the goalrush! ;)

I watched Clarke and saw a player, someone else saw his fat ar*e. Does that say more about: me? him? or Clarke? :think:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Argyle played well as a team in fits and starts and individuals seemed to fade in and out of the game too, but it was all that was needed and a functional win is welcome. Although it has to be said that poor defending from some of Carlisle's more hopeful punts did give them a couple of sniffs and Palmer had to be smart once in the second half to prevent an equaliser from a speculative long ball that seemed to bemuse the right hand side of Wooton and Riley who allowed their lad a free run and shot
Thought that Lowe made good use of his subs and Moore was particularly good on the second goal when he held possession really cleverly to allow Sarcevic to arrive and played a nicely weighted ball

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Seeing an odd level of negativity considering we’ve just won (comfortably) & gone 5 unbeaten.