Plymouth Argyle v Leyton Orient - the build up + Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Leyton Orient - the build up + Q&A

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Leyton Orient
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

Countdown to Leyton Orient

Sunday

Craig Hicks is the man in the middle for Tuesday's game; so far this season he has issued 32 yellow cards and four reds in 10 games. He was the referee for the 5-1 defeat at Accrington in April last season which proved to be Derek Adams' last game as manager.
Hicks will be assisted by Mark Derrien and Richard Morris while the fourth official is Savva Yianni.

Leyton Orient have won their last three league games, scoring eight goals and conceding only one and are currently in 12th place in League Two just one point behind the Pilgrims.

Argyle have been placed as favourites to win by Sky Bet with odds of 5/6, an Orient win is ranked at 3/1 and the draw is on offer at 5/2.

Journalist Jacob Ranson of various East London newspapers and websites has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into Leyton Orient with a Q&A ....

Q: What are your thoughts on Leyton Orient's season so far?
A: Mixed fortunes, is the best way to describe it, but I would say itā€™s been a positive considering the Oā€™s have just been promoted and with everything theyā€™ve had going on off the pitch then itā€™s a bright start.

Q: What are your views on the appointment of former Argyle boss Carl Fletcher as manager?
A: Carl Fletcher could be a good appointment, learnt lots at Bournemouth from Eddie Howe, who is one of the best to learn from in terms of lower leagues and progressing in the game. He seems keen to improve every player in the squad which can only be a good thing.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Leyton Orient in a stable state at the moment?
A: Yes, Nigel Travis and Kent Teague have been fantastic for the club and brought back a real feel good factor, that was missing for many years during the Oā€™s own financial troubles. Orient seem in a good place with hopefully the only way being up in the future.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: Definitely top half, but not many teams have too consistent, so if Fletcher can make the team more consistent it could be a push for play-offs.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Leyton Orient likely to use against Argyle?
A: They like to pass the ball, very free flowing, and only go long when needed or no options.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Plymouth have also had a mixed start to the season. They do have a good record against the Oā€™s which is always a worry. I would expect them to be in the play-offs come the end of the season.

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A:1-1
-------------------------------

Monday

Former Leyton Orient interim manager Ross Embleton talks about the appointment of Carl Fletcher and the game against Argyle .... LO club website

Paul and Steve from Orient Outlook Podcast @OrientOutlook have kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into their club with a Q & A ....

Q: What are your thoughts on Leyton Orient's season so far?
A: Obviously with the tragic events at the club over the summer we all knew it would be a difficult start to life in League 2. After a good win on the opening day of the season we came crashing down to earth with defeat at Macclesfield and after 5 games we had won 2 and we looked like we would be ok.Ā 
Then what followed was a few games where we just didnā€™t get going and lost to switching off in both boxes as we fell to defeat against Crawley, Colchester, Crewe and were totally outclassed at times by a very good Swindon team.

However, since the announcement that Ross Embleton (who has done a fantastic job as Interim Head Coach) would be stepping back into his precious role as Assistant Manager we have taken 10 points from our last 4 league games including a 1-0 win away at Northampton, 3-1 at home to Walsall and a triumphant 4-0 away win at Grimsby as Ross has gone out with a bang...
Up step Carl Fletcher - no pressure!

Q: What are your views on the appointment of former Argyle boss Carl Fletcher as manager?
A: Itā€™s fair to say we probably both werenā€™t aware of Carl Fletcher up until 2 weeks ago.
He is the man the board have chosen and we have complete faith that he is the right man for the job.
The way in which Nigel Travis, Kent Teague and Martin Ling have spoken about him give us confidence that he is the man for the job, and he has an excellent supporting team at the club in Ross Embleton, Danny Webb and Jobi McAnuff.
Most Oā€™s fans understand the complexity of this appointment so will be patient and heā€™ll get time, however, there arenā€™t many managers who will be taking over a team with 3 wins on the bounce and will be taking their first game at a previous club.
All we can is give him our full backing which we absolutely will do.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Leyton Orient in a stable state at the moment?
A: Weā€™ve been there and done that, and thankfully have come through it. Now we have owners in Nigel Travis and Kent Teague who put the club first, communicate with fans and see the bigger picture.Ā 
We were very close to going out of business due to a terrible 3 year reign by him who shall not be named and itā€™s terrible to see clubs in positions bestowed upon them from owners who arenā€™t fit to run anything let alone a professional football club.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: Weā€™d both be happy with mid table this season, but 3 wins on the trot and in 12th place at the moment will start to give fans unrealistic expectations about getting into the play off places.
If Carl can hit the ground running things could get very interesting, but we think anything over 10th would be a fantastic achievement and something to build on next season.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Leyton Orient likely to use against Argyle?
A: This is quite a difficult question to answer as itā€™s the first game of Carlā€™s reign. We would imagine as results have been good he will stick with the 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defence that has seen us pick up some fantastic results recently.Ā 
Itā€™s fair to say the team have adjusted now to League 2 so we wonā€™t be the pushovers you saw earlier in the season in the League Cup match and you should see a team full of confidence and hopefully one who will be having a new manager bounce.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Plymouth arenā€™t a League 2 club and shouldnā€™t be in this league. Ryan Lowe appears to be a good young manager and you have some very decent players so we know it will be a very difficult match and one that most of your fans will expect to win.
Weā€™d expect to see you up there challenging for automatic promotion come the end of the season or failing that at least in the play off places.

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A:We never like predicting results for Oā€™s games so weā€™ll play if safe and say 1-1.
--------------------------
Highlights of Orient's 4-0 win at Grimsby Town on Saturday .... You Tube

A special offer in the superstore for Tuesday only ...

The match is available on iFollow for UK subscribers.

Match preview ... LO club website

Match sponsors

Tuesday

Carl Fletcher's time at Argyle .... SW Football Blog

Matchday Menu

Orient's season so far .... club website

Tonight's mascots

All About Orient

Former Argyle and Orient midfielder Barry Silkman is the half-time guest.

Carl Fletcher talks about returning to Home Park...
ā€œIt will be strange.
ā€œIā€™ve not been back to Home Park since Iā€™ve left really. Iā€™ve obviously been down to Plymouth as I was there for four years and weā€™ve still got friends down there but Iā€™ve not been down to the ground.
ā€œThere will be a mixture of memories, but at the same time, an exciting time and hopefully a game we can do well in.ā€

Ryan Lowe talks about welcoming Carl Fletcher to Home Park ....
ā€œI donā€™t know Carl personally but I played against him over the years, and I know he did a fantastic job here as a captain and as a manager.
ā€œFair play, heā€™s putting his neck on the line. He could have stayed with Bournemouth Under-23s and had it comfortable, but heā€™s ventured out and I admire him for that.

ā€œI also admire Leyton Orient for giving a young manager an opportunity because thatā€™s important. He can have a warm welcome but weā€™re here to win a game of football and heā€™ll be the same.
ā€œHe wonā€™t be worrying about Plymouth Argyle when he turns up here and I wonā€™t be worrying about Carl Fletcher. The good thing is young managers are given a chance and I go on these courses all the time, and see young managers looking for a chance.
ā€œItā€™s a new trend and why not. There are a lot of older managers out there who have been fantastic but also players now finishing who want to go into coaching.ā€

Matchday programme

Mar 23, 2008
Really chuffed to see Fletch back as a manager. Felt he was close to doing well here but needed more experience around him. Wish him the very best (after Tuesday!) a great servant in our hour of need.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He's certainly a disciple of good football, you could see that a lot in our game under him. It wasn't his fault we had some dire dire players.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":39mj9wqj said:
He's certainly a disciple of good football, you could see that a lot in our game under him. It wasn't his fault we had some dire dire players.

Agreed.
Against the background of admin and a squad of absolute waifs and strays, to keep Argyle in league football that first season was, for me, a far more impressive feat than some of the marginal success achieved by others since the club was put on an even keel.

Jun 27, 2019
Agreed about Fletcher, he did a good job in extremely trying circumstances. As IJN says, he had mostly dross to work with but clearly wanted to play football the right way.

Hope it works out for him at Orient.

Sep 6, 2006
PMPilgrim":33suy5mn said:
This ā€œdrossā€?

You many players that played for free to keep the club afloat and then signed on contracts paying peanuts.

No wonder players leave at the sign of a better wage. I am continually astounded at the level of abuse handed out to past and current players by those who have never got close to playing at a decent level.

So because we are not at that level we cannot criticise as paying fans? Some of the players at that time were very poor and I suspect some of them signed cos nobody else wanted them.

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":29x7pluh said:
PMPilgrim":29x7pluh said:
This ā€œdrossā€?

You many players that played for free to keep the club afloat and then signed on contracts paying peanuts.

No wonder players leave at the sign of a better wage. I am continually astounded at the level of abuse handed out to past and current players by those who have never got close to playing at a decent level.

So because we are not at that level we cannot criticise as paying fans? Some of the players at that time were very poor and I suspect some of them signed cos nobody else wanted them.

There was also that little detail of us not having a Pot to Pee in and are Cloth was cut accordingly.

Jun 27, 2019
PMPilgrim":2ggkbeps said:
Itā€™s a very disappointing way of describing former Argyle players.

A bit more understanding of the situation we were in should be applied. Overall, it shows a lack of class.

It was entirely appropriate in the context of discussing Carl Fletcher's tenure at the club. All players were paid eventually so weren't charity cases.

If dross is too strong for you then perhaps I should have said 'extremely poor' - though even that wouldn't do justice to some of them. Apologies if I offended your delicate sensitivities - though I suspect the players concerned wouldn't care less what some random bloke says about them on a football forum.