Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle - the build up + Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle - the build up + Q&A

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Exeter City
Official website
Ground guide
Fans forum
Twitter

Countdown to Exeter City

Wednesday

Experienced referee Darren Drysdale is the man in the middle for the Devon Derby, so far this season he has shown 57 yellow cards and one red in 15 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in March last season for the 0-0 draw with Luton Town at Home Park.
He will be assisted on Saturday by Ravel Cheosiaua and Robert Dabbs while the fourth official is GeoffreyĀ Russell.

According to Sky Bet Exeter are favourites to win at 21/20, an Argyle win has odds of 12/5 and the draw is also at 12/5.

Argyle have played at St James Park 50 times, winning 14 games, drawing 17 and losing 19.

The game is sold out for both home and away fans with Argyle fans snapping up all 1,152 tickets in just 90 minutes. A live beam back at the supporters bar at Home Park also sold out.

Exeter 1 - 3 Argyle, February 2015 .... You Tube match highlights

Pubs allowing Argyle fans:
The Imperial (Wetherspoons) open at 8am but not selling alcohol.
George's Meeting House (Wetherspoons) open at 8am but not selling alcohol.
Chevalier (Wetherspoons) selling alcohol from 9am.
St Anne's Well, open at 11am.
The Exonian, open at 11.30am.

Argyle centre-back Scott Wootton is suspended for the game after picking up five yellow cards.

Match preview

Pre-match information

The Green Taverners suite will now open at 8.45am on Saturday to allow fans to watch the rugby World Cup semi-final before watching the Exeter City game .... club website

Thursday

The Devon Derby double 2001/2002 .... You Tube

Exeter City fan Nick Hawker has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A...

Q: What are your thoughts on Exeter's season so far?
A: Wished you asked that two weeks ago!Ā  This is a really tight league and weā€™re happy to be at the right end of it so no grumbles at all!Ā  The last couple of games have been disappointing, though hopefully weā€™ll put them behind us shortly.

Q: What are your views on manager Matt Taylor?
A: Heā€™s fantastic!Ā  You tend to think if he wasnā€™t in the dugout heā€™d be on the Big Bank!

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Exeter in a stable state at the moment and can you give a brief summary of how a Fan Trust owned-club operates??
A: Weā€™re probably in a better state than most.Ā  As a fan-owned Club we donā€™t allow the Club to get into debt - always living within our means.Ā  That has itā€™s downside of course because without a wealthy backer itā€™s hard to chase success as aggressively as weā€™d like.Ā  Over the years though, weā€™ve invested time, effort and money into our academy and we have sold on players for high fees that get invested wisely.Ā  We like to think we earn our success but of course, weā€™re very conscious that we could face a lean spell - thatā€™s why the lack of debt is so important.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: We ought to make the play-offs.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Exeter likely to use against Argyle?
A: Weā€™re a naturally attacking team so I donā€™t think youā€™ll see us sitting back at all.Ā  Matt does like to surprise us from time to time though, so weā€™ll see on the day!

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?Ā 
A: I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to Simon Hallett in the summer and thought he was great!Ā  Home Park is beginning to look really impressive and of course, youā€™re just starting to hit some form which I think everybody here expected you to.Ā  Itā€™s great to be playing you again!

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Itā€™s a derby game so the form book goes out of the window.Ā  Iā€™ll go 1-0 to ourselves.
------------------------------

Devon and Cornwall police issue a statement regarding the match ..... D&C police
ā€œPolice are preparing to welcome several thousand football fans to Exeter for this game and are planning with our partners, including Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle football clubs, to deliver a safe and friendly community event.
The weather forecast for the game is light rain, breezy and a temperature of 13. Heavy rain is expected during Saturday morning.

A guide to St James

Supporters coaches will now depart from Home Park at an earlier time of 10.30am .... club website

Centre-back Niall Canavan looks ahead to the Devon Derby .... club website
ā€œIf we win on Saturday, we go above them so, maybe thatā€™s that little bit extra there, but Iā€™m sure we donā€™t need any of that. The boys know what it means to the fans and the club."

Midfielder Joe Edwards reveals his partner is due to give birth to twins ...
"If my phone goes off now it is my missus calling from the hospital, we are due twins any minute now.
"I have told her from minute one that there is one day you can't have them on and that's Saturday.
"It is looking more like it could be now, it's anytime now.

"It will be a fantastic weekend if we can round off with a victory and then hopefully the little'uns will be born not too many days after that and I can really celebrate them coming.
"I am sure they would understand if I missed it, to get the win over Exeter.
"Then I would explain later on in life that it was all about getting the three points in Exeter."

Ryan Lowe talks about Saturday's game ....
"You have got to give them credit haven't you because they have been at the top of the league for a while.
"They got off to a flier and they were unbeaten in so many games.

"I think sometimes then the rivalry gets a little bit stronger because Argyle will be thinking that should be us.
"We know the differences. If we win we can overtake them and if they win they can claw their way from us.
"Matty has done a terrific job up there. It's a club that, without being disrespectful, it's not like an Argyle, you know what I mean?

"The expectations for us are massive, the expectations for them I wouldn't have thought are too massive."

Friday

Exeter defender Aaron Martin talks about the game ....
ā€œEvery derby is obviously a huge game, especially for the fans and for the team as well. So everyoneā€™s just looking to get stuck into it now and coming away with the three points.ā€
ā€œSince the start of the season everybodyā€™s been looking forward to this game and focusing on it. Itā€™s obviously a huge game for everybody here so weā€™re just looking forward to it now.ā€
ā€œItā€™s another game, everybody is going to forget about the last two games and really look forward to getting stuck in to this one on Saturday. I think the last two games have been a bit frustrating but weā€™ll put that behind us. Everybody has been training really well today and weā€™ll attack it again tomorrow and be ready for the game on Saturday.

ā€œThereā€™s still a long, long way to go yet in the season. It has been a little bump at the moment, weā€™ve had a really good start so we do need to get it back on track and hopefully we can do that this weekend.ā€
ā€œJust getting everybody staying together, sticking together; learning from the mistakes that have happened and the last two games, and just putting that behind us now, and preparing for Saturday really.ā€
"Itā€™s been a lot of travelling and itā€™s been a long week, but everyone feels fresh and everybody trained really well today, and tomorrow weā€™ll be at it again as well so everyone canā€™t wait to just get stuck in.
ā€œThe support here is amazing anyway, in every game all the fans have been absolutely brilliant, so I think Saturday everyone will be a bit livelier than they have been. Looking forward to seeing that and hearing that behind us, and most importantly winning the game.ā€
Grecians manager Matt Taylor looks ahead to Saturday ...
"I donā€™t think thereā€™ any such thing as ā€˜just another gameā€™ when itā€™s a Devon Derby. Itā€™s one where, when the fixtures come out at the start of the season, I think the fans and players alike look at it.
"Itā€™s also a big game in terms of where we are in the league and our form this week where we want to put a few wrongs right and there is no better time to do it than in front of your home fans in a packed house at the Park.

"Just play your own game and be yourselves. We canā€™t be anyone else except Exeter City this weekend and that probably goes for the fans as well.
"They have to respect everyone at that stadium, they are there to watch a game of football and hopefully we will see two honest teams going at it and whoever comes out on top will have the bragging rights."

All the info you need .... Match preview Turnstiles open at 11.30am.

Inside Exeter City
Ryan Lowe talks about the game ...
"We won't play the occasion. For me and my lads, we will make sure we just go about our business right. We will train as normal, we will do press as normal. We won't change nothing because there is no need to, it is just another game of football. I get if it is a play-off final or it is a game you need to win to get promoted but even that we'd still do the same stuff, it just gathers a bit of momentum.

"A local game means the lads can stay at home with the families like they have been doing for home games rather than travelling two, three, four hours away up the road to get in a hotel before the game. It won't change for us, it is just a normal Saturday afternoon, we will just leave normally, probably the same time the lads would probably leave to get to Home Park, we'd leave then. We are not going to change nothing, there will be one change in the team, maybe two. Other than that we are just about the same thing.

"Scotty Wotton has been magnificent but we have got Josh Grant and Will Aimson, so we will have a look at them two and see who the best fit will be and we will talk to them. You've seen George Cooper has come in for Danny Mayor. After getting a couple of yellow cards and the next thing you know, he has to sit out the game. Scotty is disappointed he is going to miss the game with suspension and if someone comes in and does a job then he might find himself in the same position. But for us, we have no worries at all. We have two terrific lads who are ready to stand in."

Current form over last six matches in League Two: Exeter won 1, drawn 2, lost 3. Argyle won 3, drawn 2, lost 1.

Exeter 0 - 2 Argyle 2017 Matchday Moments .... You Tube

Match thread on Exeter fans forum ... Exeweb

Park Life ... Exeter club website

According to the Transfermarkt website the Exeter squad is valued at Ā£3.69 million while the Argyle squad is worth Ā£3.60 million.

Devon Derby Stats

Saturday

Exeter's season

The latest pre-match warning to fans by the club ... club website

Centre-back Niall Canavan talks about the Devon Derby ..
"I have seen bits and pieces, I have played in other derbies elsewhere, so I have some experience of them.
"Apparently this one is a little bit spicy. It's not something the boys should be fazed by, I think it is something you should relish and it's an opportunity to go out there and really put on a show for the pride of the shirt.
"People approach it differently. Some lads like to use that to get them going but I think it is a case of going there and doing your job to the best of your ability.
"It's about getting in their faces as all derby games seem to be, it is blood and thunder and I am sure there will be a few tackles.

"We have said that it is probably typical that we have won the two coming into it and they have lost the two.
"I think that tees it up quite nicely, if we win Saturday then we go above them.
"The boys know what it means to the fans and the club, we go there full of confidence and we will be looking to do our thing.

"They are the games you want to be involved in really, as I said, we have had a big week coming into this.
"Hopefully we get the result we want on Saturday and that leads us on, hopefully, to a prolonged run of results and that builds us towards Christmas time and the New Year and the new stand and it is all building to a positive season for us."

Midfielder Joe Edwards also talks about the game ...
ā€œI think with derbies, a lot of the time your physical state doesnā€™t really come into question because of the adrenaline that goes through. You always find that added little bit.
ā€œI donā€™t think any of the boys will worry with how they feel physically. Weā€™ve had two tough games in the week but with two wins that helps your mental side as well.

ā€œWeā€™re going into the game looking forward to it and, like I said, I donā€™t think you will be worried about how you feel with your legs.
ā€œI think with derbies your form sort of goes out the window, but you would always want to be on a good run coming into it, which helps your mentality be right. Physically, both teams will have that same sort of adrenaline and they will be putting in the same effort.ā€

Exeter will unveil two new mascots before the game, a lion and a lioness ....

Ryan Lowe talks more about the Devon Derby ... club website
ā€œIf we win, great. If we get a draw at Exeter, then itā€™s a good point. Theyā€™ve conceded some goals of late and weā€™ve scored plenty of goals, but that goes out of the window. Itā€™s going to be two teams locking horns for three points."

Exeter City have stated the St James Park pitch is fine and there are no plans for a pitch inspection.

The team to play Exeter

Penlee

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Wooton has to feel aggrieved as he got booked V Orient when it should have been Canavan. Ref's error. Chance for Aimson to (re)impress.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Good chance for Saturday's ref to at least double his red card tally for the season so far?? :whistle:

Funnily enough I'm off to Baaaaarrf on the weekend to see father-in-law all the talk will be of egg chasing activities! :sad:
They are playing Exececeter on Friday night so a Baaaarrf?Argo win double will be acceptable. Thangew! :scarf:

Oct 20, 2015
Probably old news to most people but Exeter have been spanked the last two games, I think it may have knocked some wind from their sails.

I don't pretend to know if injuries or suspensions has affected their form but it feels like we're meeting them at exactly the right time - an upturn in our form, a downturn in theirs.

A win at Sid James on Saturday and we leapfrog them in the table - wouldn't that be nice?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
dbTNUSQ.jpg

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
slingsby_pobble":883qrqv9 said:
Probably old news to most people but Exeter have been spanked the last two games, I think it may have knocked some wind from their sails.

I don't pretend to know if injuries or suspensions has affected their form but it feels like we're meeting them at exactly the right time - an upturn in our form, a downturn in theirs.

A win at Sid James on Saturday and we leapfrog them in the table - wouldn't that be nice?

A Swindon win as well as for us means they're out of the top 7. Was only a month ago they were top and undefeated.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Theyā€™ve always been the same, no staying power.

Anyone can have a good start, even minnows like them. Itā€™s where you end up in May that counts. For them that usually means back in the basement.

I think itā€™s an FA regulation.

Aug 5, 2015
Sadly itā€™s a case of us getting a whole lot worse in recent years rather than them getting any better. It wasnā€™t so long ago that our main rival in Devon was Torquay and they werenā€™t even mentioned in dispatches. Then for some unaccountable reason we signed Tony Kellow and itā€™s been largely downhill since with one or two exceptions.

Mar 23, 2019
Wish they had a proper stadium so we could take a good following.

Embarrassing rivalry. Lets hope its our last visit for a while.

AdelaideGreen

šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ
Jan 11, 2017
Action Jackson":2uo0rh55 said:
Wish they had a proper stadium so we could take a good following.

Embarrassing rivalry. Lets hope its our last visit for a while.

Surely you aren't hoping that they get promoted and we don't!?

Actually, I don't mind if they go up with us. The rivalry is good for the finances.

However, I can't see them rising any further - or even staying in L1- but Argyle can - and have done that and been higher.

Excreta are better matched against Torquay and the like - and I know who I would support in that contest.

Let's just move on ... onwards and upwards!!

:scarf:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Exeter are what they are. They have kept their financial head above water, tarted-up their ground and produced young players that economically they were unable to hold on to. I am no Exeter supporter but Argyle have been happy enough to take good players off them down the decades. Let's hope for a trouble free, good game, with the best team winning. Bring it on.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Stuart James is in his element this week. :facepalm:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Thereā€™s unrest in the dressing room apparently.

Four/Five players on ā€˜very good moneyā€™ and all the rest on about Ā£400/Ā£500. Iā€™ve heard there are some unhappy chappies at St Aimless.

No wonder why the wheels have fallen off.