Zak Rudden's 'Hand of God'... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Zak Rudden's 'Hand of God'...

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Being on the 'Spion Kop’ and not having had a clear view of the build up to Argyle’s first goal last night I did have a little chuckle when I saw footage of the Zak Rudden ‘Hand of God’ incident this morning. At this point I must stress that I am normally in the extremely old fashioned camp of preferring Argyle to win (and, if necessary, lose) by fair means rather than foul. I would no more wish to benefit from a ‘cheated’ goal than I would have to swallow a defeat in similar circumstances. In that regard I suppose I am unlike the majority of Scunthorpe fans who went ballistic with joy when their cheating scumbag of a forward chipped a crippled Matt Macey in the final game of last season.

The first ‘goal’ against Orient last night, however, did bring back specific memories of a cold and miserable pre-Xmas Saturday afternoon in 1983. I was living near Watford at the time and, ever eager to see Argyle when they were anywhere in the south east, I made the tortuous car, train and tube journey to Brisbane Road for a third-tier match against Orient (they had dropped the ‘Leyton’ then, before its more recent reinstatement). The Argyle team on the day contained a wealth of legendary club nicknames - ‘Crudgie' in goal, ‘Nissie' at left back, ‘Uzzie' at right back and ‘Hodgie' in midfield. They even had ‘Stannie' (Gordon Staniforth) up front. Sadly, Sir Tommy Tynan was out for that match and Tony Kellow (‘Kelly’?) took his place up front. Although most of the team were destined to run out at Villa Park in the F.A Cup semi-final just over a year on they could hardly have been described as ‘pulling up trees’ as far as the league was concerned.

Ploughing my way across London, avoiding the hordes of Xmas shoppers, I had no illusions about the fare that was to be dished up but, as we all know, that is what being an Argyle supporter is all about. I moaned inwardly about the impossible hold ups and travel delays, not finding out until I had got home after the match that it was due to an I.R.A bomb that had gone off in Harrods that very afternoon (the death toll put the annoyance of what was soon to be another Argyle defeat in context…)

Anyway, I arrived at the ground just after kick off (I hadn’t missed anything special) and due to the crowd of 2,684 (thanks, Greens On Screen) I was able to sit virtually anywhere. In those days it was distinctly inadvisable to attend a football match in deepest East London sporting away colours or chanting ‘Westcountry, la la la, Westcountry, la la la!’ As I enjoyed my teeth being in the position they were I was in the habit of quietly sitting amongst the home fans and gradually revealing my alliegance if I was satisfied that the guys sitting around me were football fans rather than neanderthals. Thus,I took up a position a few rows from the pitch, directly in line with the goal that Argyle were defending.

The Argyle defence were taking a bit of a battering and it was a ‘backs to the wall’ first quarter of an hour. We were holding our own, however, when a long ball was played along the ground into the channel directly in front of where I was sitting. The race was on between Nissie and the Orient winger but as the ball got nearer to the dead ball line and the corner flag it became apparent to me, those around me and - most importantly - Nissie that it was going to go out of play for a goal kick. It was clear that he had turned off the afterburners and visibly slowed as the fast-travelling ball approached the line. The Orient winger was clearly of a different mindset, however, and in chasing the clearest mother-of-all-lost-causes he continued to race after the ball at breakneck speed. I found this admirable but totally ridiculous as he stood no chance of getting to the ball before it went out of play. And, indeed, he did stand no chance of getting to the ball before it went out of play. The ball crossed the line and continued for a further 2-3 feet (yes, as far as that!) towards the advertising hoardings before the Orient winger stretched out a right leg at full speed and launched the ball towards the Argyle goal. Watching in wide-mouthed horror, I followed the flight of the ball as it arced towards an Orient forward who smashed it into the Argyle net.

The referee signalled a goal and ran back to the centre circle. The linesman on the line nearest to me followed suit. More importantly, the lineman on the other side, whose job it was to ensure that it should have been a goal kick rather than a goal was also trotting merrily back towards the middle. The dozens of Orient fans around me were up on their feet cheering and celebrating whilst I was pointing out to them that the ball was WAY out of play before it was crossed. ‘Was it?’ one of them replied with a broad smile on his face. Crestfallen, all I could do was say ‘Yes!’. “Ah, but WAS it?’ replied my opposite number, with a huge grin, accompanied by a Cockney wink.

Argyle went on to lose that match 3-2 but despite seeing my team score two away goals (a rare sight in those days) all I could remember of the match (and still do) was a burning sense of injustice at such an obvious and glaring example of incompetence on the part of the officials.

For me, one of the most irritating of football cliches involves bad decisions balancing themselves out over the length of a season. Without any actual scientific proof of this theory I have never given it much credence. After Zak Rudden’s clear infringement in the build up to Argyle’s opener against Orient last night, however, perhaps there is something to this ‘balancing out’ theory. Admittedly it hasn’t been over the length of a season but I’m happy to finally redress an Orient injustice after some 26 seasons. ;)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Who cares? We won 4-0 and they were frankly, rubbish.

Payback for the ballboy push!

Move on to the next rubbish team.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
The same Leyton Orient whose players, manager, board and fans defended a player that assaulted a ballboy ?. Not a single ounce of sympathy from me at all, and never will be.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Everyone was up in arms and so morally on point when Scunthorpe supposedly cheated us in May.

I just wondered why pasoti has been so quiet about our first goal on Tuesday?

Any suggestions?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
jespafc":3283e4xi said:
Everyone was up in arms and so morally on point when Scunthorpe supposedly cheated us in May.

I just wondered why pasoti has been so quiet about our first goal on Tuesday?

Any suggestions?

1) You're on the wrong thread?
2) Orient weren't being relegated because of it? ... yet?
3) They weren't up in arms when one of their players assaulted a ballboy?
4) MaRuddena committed an offence that the ref could/should have penalised? The Shorpe player (he having left) was just unsporting?

Nov 9, 2008
If that had been done against us we’d all be up in arms screaming about it. If something is wrong, then it’s wrong. We shouldn’t be accepting of one of our players blatantly and deliberately cheating just because a referee didn’t see it or because another player did something wrong in the past. If we’d hate it when it goes against us, we shouldn’t be celebrating it when we do it.

Nov 16, 2006
mde203":17vfkr9l said:
If that had been done against us we’d all be up in arms screaming about it. If something is wrong, then it’s wrong. We shouldn’t be accepting of one of our players blatantly and deliberately cheating just because a referee didn’t see it or because another player did something wrong in the past. If we’d hate it when it goes against us, we shouldn’t be celebrating it when we do it.

Of course we’d have been upset if it happened against us, but surely we’d be upset with the referee, not the player. It’s no more “blatantly and deliberately cheating” than any other foul, be that a trip, a push, a shirt pull or whatever. There are what, 20 or so fouls every game and this should have been spotted as one of them. No more, no less.

Jul 12, 2016
mde203":360jjvot said:
Fans were celebrating a goal not the cheating.What was Rudden supposed to do? Run up to the referee , apologise and ask him to disallow the goal? I did not see the handball at the time and wondered why the Orient players were complaining. These things happen in football,nobody's perfect,goal stood, move on.

Jun 27, 2006
Plymouth
Zak is clearly a determined goalscorer that will do anything clearly to put the ball in the net. The guy doesn't give up and it has been refreshing to watch. I reckon there are many goals in him to come.