Finley's Match Report Leyton Orient | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Finley's Match Report Leyton Orient

Oct 18, 2019
Argyle 4 Leyton Orient 0
A game of two halves.

By Finley Allen

Sometimes sporting cliches sum up a game, none quite like Argyle’s Tuesday night rout of Leyton Orient, with all four of The Greens’ goals coming before the break. The first three in 34 minutes with the forth seconds before the half-time whistle.

Argyle could have considered themselves lucky as they took the lead at 14 minutes when Zak Rudden, who looked more like a Raider’s player, slam-dunked the ball towards the line, only for it to be ‘brilliantly’ pushed away by Orient keeper, Dean Brill. League 2’s shoddy refereeing then showed its ‘hand’ once again, with Argyle finally getting the “upper hand “ on this occasion. Joel Grant continued his hot scoring form as he slammed the ball into the top corner, to put Argyle ahead.

The second came from the man in the spotlight, minutes later, as Zak Rudden flicked the ball in from a brilliant George Cooper cross, which looked like it could have been goal bound anyway. The third came from a shot from outside the box, from Callum McFadzean who continued his goalscoring habits against Orient after bagging one in a cup tie in August. Orient’s misery was compounded just before halftime as they conceded an own-goal after another quality George Cooper cross. With the game sealed at 45 minutes, Argyle took their foot off the gas in the second half, with changes of personnel allowing a much needed rest in a week of three games.

For me, this game was less about the goals scored, but more about the way the game was approached. Argyle played more directly and looked to play into the channels, as Orient struggled to cope. In previous weeks Argyle had played with much more ball on the surface, often with little reward as attacks would frequently break down because of lack of movement off and quality on the ball. With the back three in particular getting much criticism for their lack off competence on the ball this season, including from myself, this could have been a one off tactic from Lowe to exploit Orient’s weaknesses, or more likely an approach to better suit the current squad he has at his disposal. Something, no doubt, he’ll try and address in January.

All in all a very successful week for Argyle as they gained maximum points, giving the boys a much needed confidence boost before “The Big One” on Saturday. This will be surely the biggest test of their mettle to date and will give us a solid assessment of just how good this side is. On the subject of cliches, the next match will be one where every player will have to stand up and be counted.

Man of the match: George Cooper
Argyle performance: 7.5/10

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Hi Finley,

A good summary, and I particularly liked the comment about the "bigger picture" as opposed to the sole focus being on the detail.

One small point. Spelling us important. If you get it wrong it reduces the credibility of the article - e.g forth vs fourth.

Minor point - and many a 'erald journo make many mistakes.

You get bonus points for spotting the granmar errors in this postt!

Aug 2, 2011
Spelling is not the greatest strength of many on here nor is checking what has been written. Your own post has an error in the second sentence!! People who live in greenhouses ectera, ectera.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Another excellent piece Finley and, in my view, already a step-up from your first one. And I really have to hand it to you; I really liked the sequence with the play on words with "hand"!

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Thank You Finley; echoing what memory man says “Improving all the time!” which is clearly your aim. From a good start, with your clear commitment, the results will show. Looking forward to your next report, Thank you, Ray

Sep 6, 2006
Presto":xtsiq7m6 said:
Spelling is not the greatest strength of many on here nor is checking what has been written. Your own post has an error in the second sentence!! People who live in greenhouses ectera, ectera.

And his last sentence too!

Sep 6, 2006
Ray_Stidwell":2v0dxw83 said:
Thank You Finley; echoing what memory man says “Improving all the time!” which is clearly your aim. From a good start, with your clear commitment, the results will show. Looking forward to your next report, Thank you, Ray

Pretty patronising. Are you a headmaster or something?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":27r1zyty said:
Ray_Stidwell":27r1zyty said:

Stooping to new levels I notice BG?

If you've got nothing nice or constructive to say, why bother saying it at all?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Personally I thought the advice about spelling and grammar was pertinent and constructive. The lad is trying to be a journalist after all. Didn't come across as critical at all to me.

I'm sure Finlay has taken it in the spirit it was intended.

Sep 6, 2006
Emu":vfwo5j53 said:
Balham_Green":vfwo5j53 said:
Ray_Stidwell":vfwo5j53 said:

Stooping to new levels I notice BG?

If you've got nothing nice or constructive to say, why bother saying it at all?

And what about you? Anything constructive to say yourself? The comments WERE patronising imo.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
HaHa! Clive, your behaviour rarely fails to amuse, especially your pops at me!
That’s good by me, as long as your clear dislike of me means you keep out of my hair in real life, ie: stay away!

Emu is of course, like most on here, a pleasure to meet in real life & consistently constructive, also, IMO not an appropriate target of your vitriol.

Finley, No patronisation intended in the slightest, just in case you have any doubts! If you do feel patronised please pm me. All comments are meant to be supportive, constructive & helpful. Very happy to have this dialogue offline if you prefer.

Sep 2, 2008
Balham_Green":35v38bgr said:
Presto":35v38bgr said:

And his last sentence too!

...and I really don't believe that they're whooshing us :doh: :facepalm:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
People why does anyone take offence at what BG posts?

He’s not exactly inconsistent is he?

Well worth ignoring him, most people I know just nod and smile when he has a pop.