Flip-Flop Supporting | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Flip-Flop Supporting

Mar 14, 2009
I thought long about posting this because it may upset a few but to be honest but this is a site about all opinions “Argyle” related and the following matter is something lm passionate about.

I stayed yesterday to the end. It’s was hard to take. Personally seeing my Dad so angry with how the team performed l understood this isn’t an ordinary defeat.

My own view of Ryan Lowe hasn’t changed. Or the team.

This is what l said in a particular post on a Tuesday night after the win

l still honestly think this current team won’t get promoted and finish outside the playoffs.

Three reasons currently as to why l think this.....

1. The right hand side of the team. I stick by what l said. Riley offers us very little as an attacking threat. Our better attacks come down the left hand side. I just feel we are lopsided as a team. I know Wootton works hard but defensively l think he just continues to have a mistake in him.

2. It’s great the way we played last night but Orient came at us. The better teams have sat deep and waited for us to make a mistake and the sprung us on the counter attack. Also l still believe physical teams will feel they can score easy goals from set pieces still.

3. We are now pinging the ball more back to front. However, if their is space behind it’s good because Rudden and Grant will chase the ball. Yet when playing with their back to goal the ball bounces off them a lot or they don’t challenge when the ball is in the air. A lot of times the ball breaks down and the opposition suddenly are running directly at us because our midfield has pushed up expecting for possession to be retained. I’m curious how this gets resolved over time because when we fail to hold the ball up we can suddenly look very open on the counter attack when the game gets stretched.

Overall, we were excellent with the pressing last night. I just am not convinced our defence is mobile or physical enough against the better teams. Also lack of attacking width on the right will mean the better teams shut down our left hand side which means more emphasis will be on Riley’s attacking performance and currently he don’t convince me. People will say we could put a Cooper at RWB but l have seen him play better on the left side. He is great at whipping that ball in as the second goal showed last night. Plus the CAM role is less restrictive for him. Lowe needs to continue to play Cooper in his current position and find a new role/position for Mayor. If you put a Mayor alongside Cooper would we be defensively strong enough in the centre of the pitch with only Edwards as you ball winner. Interesting dilemma for Lowe.

I always said lm 100% behind Lowe. Yet l don’t yo-yo with my feelings. When we were losing in September l still had faith in him to get it right and believed the negativity was strange given how early in his Argyle managerial career it was. He just needs time. However, the mistakes/issues we have seen with Argyle in September l believe will resurface because certain players just don’t have the concentration levels to cut out costly mistakes.

If they manage to cut them out and resolve the issues l mentioned above then l will be wrong and happily see them come the end of the season in the playoffs

So didn’t we witness yesterday many of these points yesterday. Another set piece goal. Being physically muscled out in the midfield. Rudden and Grant not being able to hold the ball up. An ineffective Riley on the right side yet again.

I said certain players don’t have the “concentration powers” to cut out mistakes. We saw that yesterday.

The signs are there to see even when we are winning it’s just it often gets over looked as most bask in the result of the score line without really identifying how good a performance that was.

Then a poster said the following to me.

Amazing how you think we won't even make the playoffs.

And only 7 points off the lead,shall be quoting your posts at end of season when we are promoted :scarf: :scarf:

Which part of my reply was

I’m not having a go at Lowe. I fully behind the manager. If he gets us promoted this season then it will be wonderful. I’m not going to flip flop with how l feel. Read the comments in September on here. It was doom and gloom. Now we win a few people change their emotions. If we lose on Saturday l will be gutted but l will still feel the same way as l do now about Lowe. I doubt however, that will be the reaction on social media platforms including here.

I’m don’t think Argyle are a bad side. I’m enjoying watching us develop under Lowe. And if we rocket ahead and win game after game then so be it. I will be wrong, but extremely happy.

We lost. We only have to look at reaction. Some of it l may add is very highly thought out and well written but most of it on social media is just an emotional rant.

Now you can call our team spineless & gutless for yesterday’s performance. It’s deserved. Yet l don’t think that describes the other 12 games we have so far seen. Sure, a number of average performances but l think a number of factors are involved in that as mentioned before.

I’m sorry guys but the way some of supporters flip-flop after results, especially when a manager has only 13 games and 3 months of competitive football l am finding it hard to understand. At Bury he never changed it around straight away to a winning mentality. They went down from league one. So he must of had some bad results in the initial 3-5 months. It’s like Argyle fans make snap judgements based on every single result. Don’t people see some decent things amongst the bad stuff? For example those last two homes games we finally saw a player who could get decent delivery in the box. Not every time, else George Cooper wouldn’t be in league two. We saw a team press and in the face of the opposition. Where that went yesterday l don’t know but that shows even more a team in transition and being very inconsistent.

It’s frustrating to watch but surely as fans Ryan Lowe needs our support and backing through the tough times. I’d understand some of the current reaction if he had been in charge for 18 months / 2 years but it’s so early in his Argyle tenure. If it all suddenly clicks later on it will be easy to support and get behind the him and the team. Isn’t it now though when it’s very tough to take that you show your support to him and the team?

It just seems that patience in football has gone out the window. A couple of good or bad results and people are jumping to conclusions how good or bad a manager he is. I personally don’t know at this stage with him inheriting half a squad and having half a transfer window how you know if he will be successful at Argyle. Yet surely he deserves time, backing and support over at least this season and into next to see if he walks the walk, as well as talks the talk.

Im 100% behind Lowe. Yesterday was embarrassing. Lowe is to be blamed for yesterday’s performance. Also l understand the criticism over the system he plays and particular personnel. Yet the criticism seems to spill into a complete lack of faith in a manager who somehow have decided he isn’t already good enough. At this rate we would be have 3 managers a season if some got their way and wanted him out. It’s barmy.

Hopefully yesterday was a watershed moment when we look back at his Argyle tenure. I’m afraid instant success rarely happens. If it does it ain’t built on solid foundations. You got to have some faith in people. As supporters of this wonderful football club l wonder at times why the faith evaporates so quickly. We want managers to be loyal to us fans when they successful. Well to me it works both ways and when a manager is struggling you get behind him and show your support.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agreed.

We’re building the foundations of our playing philosophy in the way we need to if we want to be a successful modern football team. It’s harder to get a team playing this way than percentage based hoofball, and there will be bad days at the office while we get it right. It feels as if we’re at the bottom of a ladder we want to be on rather than halfway up one we don’t, so let Ryan Lowe climb the bleddy ladder at least.

Also, we’re a work in progress, haven’t clicked yet and there are major problems but... we’re still only 7 points off top. When we click and sort our problems, we’ll be flying.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
When we appointed Ryan Lowe, we were looking long term, someone to fundamentally change the club and the way we play. That’s what pretty much everyone wanted. That’s what we’re getting. There are others managers we could have gone for if he wanted a quick fix promotion, but we went for Lowe because he’s the best option to take the club forward over a few years, not a few months.

Was I angry yesterday? Yes, but that doesn’t in any way change the way I feel about the direction in which we’re going.

I’m happy with the job Lowe is doing, and I accept that we’re still building, and that when the building process is complete, I think we’ll fly.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Honest and well thought out post from MG Mickey. There were one or two in the summer who said Lowe might need 2/3 windows to sort this squad out. If he does get us to the play offs it will be a great achievement and probably will be due to significant support from SH in January.

Those calling for Lowe to be sacked are a complete and utter joke.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I don't understand this 'it's a long term project'. I don't recall too many fans saying that when Lowe was appointed, Lowe himself has said he knows what is expected from the fans this season.
He hasn't said he's here to build up the youth academy or restructure the behind the scenes departments, his sole focus is the first team.

One season back in League Two is one season too long, results will always take priority over style of play and soundbites, for me if we are not promoted this season Lowe has failed.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":nk977m64 said:
I don't understand this 'it's a long term project'. I don't recall too many fans saying that when Lowe was appointed, Lowe himself has said he knows what is expected from the fans this season.
He hasn't said he's here to build up the youth academy or restructure the behind the scenes departments, his sole focus is the first team.

One season back in League Two is one season too long, results will always take priority over style of play and soundbites, for me if we are not promoted this season Lowe has failed.

I’d like to ask yourself and other fans who feel Lowe will have failed if we don’t get promotion to think about the following.

Exeter, who look a well drilled outfit, how long it’s taken Matty Taylor to get them to that standard. I mean last season they didn’t even reach the playoffs.

How long it took Nathan Jones to get his Luton side promoted.

Yes there are examples of teams being in league two and getting promoted first time of being there but it’s normally because they have a manager that’s been in from at least the season before. For example, the Crowley Brothers at Lincoln or even our own manager Ryan Lowe at Bury. He had months beforehand to work out what he could keep and what he needed.

Look at Ainsworth. He has been there some considerable time. He saved Wycombe from the drop but it took him seasons to get out of league two. Now look at what he is a achieving in league one. Not because of money (because they didn’t have any) but because of time and patience to implement his style. You may not like his style but it’s effective but it still took him a while to get the right group of players in.

Finally, my last point is did you want Adams sacked? If you find yourself answering yes because of the football you were witnessing then to expect all this to change within one season l find is impatient. If you wanted us out of league two but with dull football then we should have kept Adams. The football wouldn’t of been progressive but would of got results and maybe survived in league one playing that way.

If you want Argyle to play better football then Adams had to go. Now lm not saying it’s a improvement currently but l scratch my head wondering how on earth Argyle fans thought promotion and a possession based style of football was going to be achieve able realistically within 12 months. Especially as with lower league players it’s harder to play a possession based football because they have lesser abilities.

He is trying to implement his style. Unfortunately, that is coming at the expense of results.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Interesting point re Nathan Jones. Funnily enough, have been reading Peter Crouch's latest book in which he talks about how Jones struggled to get the Stoke players to play to his preferred (diamond) system. As Crouch said, Stoke just didn’t have the appropriate players for that system and sometimes you need to play to your strengths. Similar analogy with Argyle albeit at a much lower level. Lowe is trying to play a system which is perhaps beyond the ability of some of his players, particularly those left by Adams. I thought we played a slightly more direct style against Orient which may have been Lowe trying to adapt things a bit. I also think he has been a bit unlucky with injuries.

Apr 5, 2008
That was me you quoted wasn’t it :lol:

Anyway I think the reason their is so much anger is just the shambolic performance more especially the defending,it look liked the defence had never played before,so many errors and gaps and not picking up runners.

Argyle had never even been in the basement league a couple of decades ago,now we can’t even compete against our local rivals down here.

Not good enough.This is bottom league football,surely being in around the top 3 would not be too much to ask,when we look at our support compared to every other club in this league,except one :facepalm:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think the current criticism of RL from some quarters of PASOTI is premature and as much as I would like to see it, I feel promotion in his first season as manager is unlikely with the current squad, but not impossible,

As an older supporter, I looked back through my records and homed in on perhaps the finest manager, who walked the corridors of Home Park, Tony Waiters. He arrived as another ex-England keeper with just a coaching record in Oct 73 and at the end of that season in the old Division 3, the club finished 8th in that League with 20 wins and one run of 5 successive defeats.

He was retained for the next season, when the club finished 9 positions lower in 17th position with 17 wins. This was a team remember that had 2 of the finest players to wear an Argyle shirt in Paul Mariner and Ernie Machin as members,

He was not sacked by the Board for this backward step, and in the 1974/75 season Tony Waiters got the club promoted.

Tony Waiters was a very personable guy not unlike RL and he raised the profile of the Club in the city and brought expectation of success. The supporters gave him time and I feel there is a similar need for patience now. One tender defeat does not lose a war

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Quintrell_Green":2917fe7g said:
I think the current criticism of RL from some quarters of PASOTI is premature and as much as I would like to see it, I feel promotion in his first season as manager is unlikely with the current squad, but not impossible,

As an older supporter, I looked back through my records and homed in on perhaps the finest manager, who walked the corridors of Home Park, Tony Waiters. He arrived as another ex-England keeper with just a coaching record in Oct 73 and at the end of that season in the old Division 3, the club finished 8th in that League with 20 wins and one run of 5 successive defeats.

He was retained for the next season, when the club finished 9 positions lower in 17th position with 17 wins. This was a team remember that had 2 of the finest players to wear an Argyle shirt in Paul Mariner and Ernie Machin as members,

He was not sacked by the Board for this backward step, and in the 1974/75 season Tony Waiters got the club promoted.

Tony Waiters was a very personable guy not unlike RL and he raised the profile of the Club in the city and brought expectation of success. The supporters gave him time and I feel there is a similar need for patience now. One tender defeat does not lose a war

I'd prefer to call it immature!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Well if there happened to be such great players then the manager’s job becomes somewhat easy doesn’t it. Granny at Celtic scenario.

I don’t recall a manager so poorly measured in what he says to the outer world as Lowe, perhaps Holloway at times, perhaps Bobby W in a bad mood. That’s not something interview slide shows can detect.

But if hRL does believe the system needs to remain constant and the players, some of them, are what always needs changing, he’s going to need an awful lot more recruitment resource than the pittance Adams was given.

Sep 30, 2018
Metal_Green_Mickey":3mylny4c said:
I thought long about posting this because it may upset a few but to be honest but this is a site about all opinions “Argyle” related and the following matter is something lm passionate about.

I stayed yesterday to the end. It’s was hard to take. Personally seeing my Dad so angry with how the team performed l understood this isn’t an ordinary defeat.

My own view of Ryan Lowe hasn’t changed. Or the team.

This is what l said in a particular post on a Tuesday night after the win

l still honestly think this current team won’t get promoted and finish outside the playoffs.

Three reasons currently as to why l think this.....

1. The right hand side of the team. I stick by what l said. Riley offers us very little as an attacking threat. Our better attacks come down the left hand side. I just feel we are lopsided as a team. I know Wootton works hard but defensively l think he just continues to have a mistake in him.

2. It’s great the way we played last night but Orient came at us. The better teams have sat deep and waited for us to make a mistake and the sprung us on the counter attack. Also l still believe physical teams will feel they can score easy goals from set pieces still.

3. We are now pinging the ball more back to front. However, if their is space behind it’s good because Rudden and Grant will chase the ball. Yet when playing with their back to goal the ball bounces off them a lot or they don’t challenge when the ball is in the air. A lot of times the ball breaks down and the opposition suddenly are running directly at us because our midfield has pushed up expecting for possession to be retained. I’m curious how this gets resolved over time because when we fail to hold the ball up we can suddenly look very open on the counter attack when the game gets stretched.

Overall, we were excellent with the pressing last night. I just am not convinced our defence is mobile or physical enough against the better teams. Also lack of attacking width on the right will mean the better teams shut down our left hand side which means more emphasis will be on Riley’s attacking performance and currently he don’t convince me. People will say we could put a Cooper at RWB but l have seen him play better on the left side. He is great at whipping that ball in as the second goal showed last night. Plus the CAM role is less restrictive for him. Lowe needs to continue to play Cooper in his current position and find a new role/position for Mayor. If you put a Mayor alongside Cooper would we be defensively strong enough in the centre of the pitch with only Edwards as you ball winner. Interesting dilemma for Lowe.

I always said lm 100% behind Lowe. Yet l don’t yo-yo with my feelings. When we were losing in September l still had faith in him to get it right and believed the negativity was strange given how early in his Argyle managerial career it was. He just needs time. However, the mistakes/issues we have seen with Argyle in September l believe will resurface because certain players just don’t have the concentration levels to cut out costly mistakes.

If they manage to cut them out and resolve the issues l mentioned above then l will be wrong and happily see them come the end of the season in the playoffs

So didn’t we witness yesterday many of these points yesterday. Another set piece goal. Being physically muscled out in the midfield. Rudden and Grant not being able to hold the ball up. An ineffective Riley on the right side yet again.

I said certain players don’t have the “concentration powers” to cut out mistakes. We saw that yesterday.

The signs are there to see even when we are winning it’s just it often gets over looked as most bask in the result of the score line without really identifying how good a performance that was.

Then a poster said the following to me.

Amazing how you think we won't even make the playoffs.

And only 7 points off the lead,shall be quoting your posts at end of season when we are promoted :scarf: :scarf:

Which part of my reply was

I’m not having a go at Lowe. I fully behind the manager. If he gets us promoted this season then it will be wonderful. I’m not going to flip flop with how l feel. Read the comments in September on here. It was doom and gloom. Now we win a few people change their emotions. If we lose on Saturday l will be gutted but l will still feel the same way as l do now about Lowe. I doubt however, that will be the reaction on social media platforms including here.

I’m don’t think Argyle are a bad side. I’m enjoying watching us develop under Lowe. And if we rocket ahead and win game after game then so be it. I will be wrong, but extremely happy.

We lost. We only have to look at reaction. Some of it l may add is very highly thought out and well written but most of it on social media is just an emotional rant.

Now you can call our team spineless & gutless for yesterday’s performance. It’s deserved. Yet l don’t think that describes the other 12 games we have so far seen. Sure, a number of average performances but l think a number of factors are involved in that as mentioned before.

I’m sorry guys but the way some of supporters flip-flop after results, especially when a manager has only 13 games and 3 months of competitive football l am finding it hard to understand. At Bury he never changed it around straight away to a winning mentality. They went down from league one. So he must of had some bad results in the initial 3-5 months. It’s like Argyle fans make snap judgements based on every single result. Don’t people see some decent things amongst the bad stuff? For example those last two homes games we finally saw a player who could get decent delivery in the box. Not every time, else George Cooper wouldn’t be in league two. We saw a team press and in the face of the opposition. Where that went yesterday l don’t know but that shows even more a team in transition and being very inconsistent.

It’s frustrating to watch but surely as fans Ryan Lowe needs our support and backing through the tough times. I’d understand some of the current reaction if he had been in charge for 18 months / 2 years but it’s so early in his Argyle tenure. If it all suddenly clicks later on it will be easy to support and get behind the him and the team. Isn’t it now though when it’s very tough to take that you show your support to him and the team?

It just seems that patience in football has gone out the window. A couple of good or bad results and people are jumping to conclusions how good or bad a manager he is. I personally don’t know at this stage with him inheriting half a squad and having half a transfer window how you know if he will be successful at Argyle. Yet surely he deserves time, backing and support over at least this season and into next to see if he walks the walk, as well as talks the talk.

Im 100% behind Lowe. Yesterday was embarrassing. Lowe is to be blamed for yesterday’s performance. Also l understand the criticism over the system he plays and particular personnel. Yet the criticism seems to spill into a complete lack of faith in a manager who somehow have decided he isn’t already good enough. At this rate we would be have 3 managers a season if some got their way and wanted him out. It’s barmy.

Hopefully yesterday was a watershed moment when we look back at his Argyle tenure. I’m afraid instant success rarely happens. If it does it ain’t built on solid foundations. You got to have some faith in people. As supporters of this wonderful football club l wonder at times why the faith evaporates so quickly. We want managers to be loyal to us fans when they successful. Well to me it works both ways and when a manager is struggling you get behind him and show your support.

I've learned not just from here, but from the world in general that's it's good to be adaptable and admit you're wrong and make changes to your opinion, according to what you've learnt. For example, I see a trend right now where Ryan Lowe, a manager, brought in to get us promoted, was generally struggling with mid table form after the start, where we haven't exactly moved too far forward with consistency. However, I'm open to cobi budges mindset for example that Ryan Lowe is part of a long term project to positively change our ways and do as other clubs have done with great revolutionary football change and upturn in fortunes. So we'll see. But for me it's all about long term proof and not hope alone. So until we start surging deep into playoff positions looking like a well timed and oiled machine, I will see what I see which is a manager underachieving and undercoomitting with this club, based on his summer antics. Stay adaptable.

Sep 30, 2018
Metal_Green_Mickey":234bqg9l said:
PL2 3DQ":234bqg9l said:

I’d like to ask yourself and other fans who feel Lowe will have failed if we don’t get promotion to think about the following.

Exeter, who look a well drilled outfit, how long it’s taken Matty Taylor to get them to that standard. I mean last season they didn’t even reach the playoffs.

How long it took Nathan Jones to get his Luton side promoted.

Yes there are examples of teams being in league two and getting promoted first time of being there but it’s normally because they have a manager that’s been in from at least the season before. For example, the Crowley Brothers at Lincoln or even our own manager Ryan Lowe at Bury. He had months beforehand to work out what he could keep and what he needed.

Look at Ainsworth. He has been there some considerable time. He saved Wycombe from the drop but it took him seasons to get out of league two. Now look at what he is a achieving in league one. Not because of money (because they didn’t have any) but because of time and patience to implement his style. You may not like his style but it’s effective but it still took him a while to get the right group of players in.

Finally, my last point is did you want Adams sacked? If you find yourself answering yes because of the football you were witnessing then to expect all this to change within one season l find is impatient. If you wanted us out of league two but with dull football then we should have kept Adams. The football wouldn’t of been progressive but would have got results and maybe survived in league one playing that way.

If you want Argyle to play better football then Adams had to go. Now lm not saying it’s a improvement currently but l scratch my head wondering how on earth Argyle fans thought promotion and a possession based style of football was going to be achieve able realistically within 12 months. Especially as with lower league players it’s harder to play a possession based football because they have lesser abilities.

He is trying to implement his style. Unfortunately, that is coming at the expense of results.

Great point to raise generally. I feel however that the difference between the managers you named, namely taylor, ainsworth and jones and Ryan Lowe, which is crucial to me is that they were in their first job and ours has just gotten promoted and has come in with I feel more pressure to succeed (which should be a good thing) based on his own expectations he set himself and that of the owners, so circumstances dictate expectations in my view and therefore he's rightfully on the back foot. Generally however you are correct, there are definitely situations where given time they develop into promotion winning teams and wonder what all the fuss was. As I've said before though, proof is in the pudding.