Researching a new Argyle Book | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Researching a new Argyle Book

Hi All,

Thank you to the moderators for allowing me to post...

“The Argyle Shirt – A Pictorial History” will bring the history of Plymouth Argyle to life through a collection of photographs and memories based on Argyle’s unique kit. Working with the Plymouth Argyle Heritage Archive (PAHA), the book will tell the history of the club through a record of the green, white, and black kit (as well as the occasional yellows, purples, and blues).

We already have some great shirts, but we are looking for more items that are not currently in PAHA’s collection; particularly club issue and match used playing kit that can be loaned to photograph or perhaps even added to PAHA’s collection. To find out more about the Argyle archive visit: http://argylearchive.org.uk. I would also love to hear any great stories or facts about the history of our playing kit to include.

If you have any items that you think may be of interest, please do get in touch by PM or through PAHA. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Matt

I have just done the first test shoot for The Argyle Shirt - A Pictorial History

I am still hunting for as many match worn or player issue examples as I can find and it would be great to hear from anyone with match worn kit that they would be willing to loan us to include in the book. I will take the greatest care with all items that are loaned and acknowledge all contributions. I also hope to support the work of PAHA Plymouth Argyle Historic Archive through the project.

Cheers

Matt

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
I see there’s a New Argyle book coming soon

The History of The Argyle Shirt

Will be a fantastic book

No release date as yet

Spurs have done this already

There’s a Facebook Group : The Argyle Shirt

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The author started a thread on here. Last time I looked he had not received any responses - so this may be more valuable added to that thread?

GreenArmy1984":mfr4p6yw said:
I see there’s a New Argyle book coming soon

The History of The Argyle Shirt

Will be a fantastic book

No release date as yet

Spurs have done this already

There’s a Facebook Group : The Argyle Shirt

Hi Paul,

I am pleased this has caught your imagination. If I can make it anywhere close to the Spurs version, I would be delighted! The book is probably 12 months or so away and at this stage we are gathering the shirts that we need to feature.

We're focussing on player issue shirts for now, but might also cover other things later so watch this space! There have been some private messages so far, but it will take time to gather everything we need. I really hope it will also be an opportunity to help the Argyle Archive with their aims too.

I will keep updating as we go along, and if anyone has an item that they would be wiling to loan for this project (recent or older) I would be delighted to hear from them.

Best wishes

Matt

I am very grateful to club legend Ian Stonebridge for lending me several fantastic Argyle shirts from his collection.

I would still love to hear from you if you have any player issue shirts of any age that you could loan us to feature in the book. I already have some great examples and hope to feature many more! I am particularly on the look out for pre 1999 shirts and the Evening Herald Tangerine Kit worn at Carlisle and Darlington in 2002, but if you have any player issue shirts that you can lend me, it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you!

The first shirt of 2020 for The Argyle Shirt - A pictorial history and it's a gem. No prizes for guessing who wore it!

If you are not aware of the project - The Argyle Shirt – A pictorial history” will be a book that will bring the history of Plymouth Argyle to life through a collection of photographs of Argyle shirts. I am still looking for match worn Argyle shirts on loan to include in the book and would love to hear from you. You can contact me by PM, through my website or via the Argyle Archive.

Link: https://www.matthewellacott.co.uk/the-argyle-shirt/

1985-86-Back.jpg

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Bermudian Green":1ud5wmjr said:
I have a Steve Adam's worn shirt, which I won when tanked up at an auction evening in the FP Club. Not convinced it is his though as it's massive. Will send you some photo's later.

Doesn't sound like you Jerry!! :funny:

Bermudian Green":2yaxct2b said:
I have a Steve Adam's worn shirt, which I won when tanked up at an auction evening in the FP Club. Not convinced it is his though as it's massive. Will send you some photo's later.

Thank you! The shirts of that era did seem to run large judging by some of the others I have been able to borrow.

Cheers

M

HI All,

Just a quick note of thanks to everyone that has got in touch so far. I have replied to some PMs with kind offers of shirts to loan - if you contacted me, I would love to hear back from you as I will be in Plymouth for the game this weekend. (Mods is there a posting threshold before these are delivered?).

If anyone has any leads on shirts (particularly pre '84) it would be great to hear from you. There are some real rarities out there!

Best wishes

Matt

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted an update, and things have understandably been a little slower, but there will be some cool updates coming soon.

Now that restrictions are being relaxed a little, I hope to be able to fully resume the search for Argyle Shirts to feature in the book! I would love to hear from anyone who has match worn or club issue shirts that they would be willing to let me photograph. I am still looking for shirts from all eras but particularly pre-1984. Now that restrictions are beginning to be lifted, I am planning to arrange a socially distanced photography day in Plymouth so stay tuned for that. :)

Finally, I will be doing some market research about "The Argyle Shirt - a pictorial history" and i will be looking for your views to help me decide on how the book will be published.

As always any leads and feedback are much appreciated!