Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Kevin Hodges Leaves Argyle Academy

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Total respect for Kevin as a distinguished player for us.However,i feel this is a good and brave decision by the club as we must address the youth side of the club.A tiny amount of players have come through our academy and this can't be correct.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Kevin managed the club between 1998-2000, a period which will be more remembered for the introduction of players like Steve Adams, Martin Phillips and Ian Stonebridge than it will for two mid-table League Two finishes.

Ouch!

That's a shame, but it would be great to completely revamp the youth set-up, as it clearly isn't working as well as it can in finding and preparing youngsters for the first team. The (probably unrealistic) dream would be to create something similar to Southampton, but I'd at least love to see some real thought and innovation now.

Presumably Neil Dewsnip is going to have a big role in that.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
That's a shame, Kevin Hodges is a big part of the fabric of PAFC, however the youth system has struggled to produce first team players with the exception of Randell this season and most that do get into the first team squad are soon found out to be not enough.

Regardless of the situation it's another terse and blunt statement from the club website which now seems to be club policy for departing employees who the fans held in high regard, Craig Brewster received similar treatment when he left the club.

Jun 27, 2019
The writing was probably on the wall when Neil Dewsnip arrived. He's had experience of youth set-ups at the very highest level and - I'm speculating - probably shared his views on Argyle's academy with management.

I have sympathy with Hodges because he's been a great servant to the club, but his remit is to produce first-team players for the club and that just hasn't happened anywhere near enough in recent years.

Aug 5, 2015
I think employer eulogies are rather like references. They don’t say anything real and provide the bear minimum. I think everyone’s poo scared that someone will take action against them if they’re too forthcoming. Probably something to do with Employment Law

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
It's a shame to see a club legend like Hodges depart given that h's been in the fabric of our club for so long.

It would be nice to see more home grown players in the first team, although you also need a manager who is prepared to give youngsters a decent chance. I wouldn't say Derek Adams fell into that category.

Time will tell with Ryan.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Think I saw somewhere Dewsnip was highly involved in getting Palmer and Josh Grant to Home Park this season.

Not been many youngsters who have been successes in first team in recent seasons so maybe an area that needs reassessing.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Kentishgreen":rczklqlt said:
I think employer eulogies are rather like references. They don’t say anything real and provide the bear minimum. I think everyone’s poo scared that someone will take action against them if they’re too forthcoming. Probably something to do with Employment Law

Care in saying anything, should not exclude the possibility of saying 'Thank-you' , surely?

Mar 13, 2018
Be interesting to know the real reason of the sudden release, resignation or sacking.
Great player but rumours flying around Removed by Site Admin - Could be actionable.

May 8, 2011
Kevin and another member of the Academy have been away from their roles for about a month, no news of the fate of the other person yet.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Removed by Site Admin (quoting a possible actionable post).

Whilst it is a sad day for him he has been well paid all these years.Good luck in the future Kev.

Jul 12, 2016
This could be a good time to question the need for a youth set up. If its not producing the goods it could be the standard of player selected as well as the coaching. How many players make the grade versus the amount it costs to run ?In cold economic terms it may not be worth continuing.