Apr 3, 2013

Forest Green Rovers
Official website
Ground guide
Fans forum
Twitter

The countdown to Forest Green Rovers

Tuesday

It will be Argyle's first ever competitive match against Forest Green Rovers.

Forest Green Rovers were formed in 1889 and for the majority of their history they played in the local leagues around Gloucestershire, Nailsworth and Stroud. They moved to their current stadium The New Lawn in 2006, however their fortunes were transformed in 2010 when green energy industrialist and owner of Ecotricity Dale Vince took over the club, his financial investment propelled FGR into the EFL in 2017 when they won the National League play-off final.

A keen vegan Vince turned FGR into the world's first all vegan club in 2015, all meat products are banned at the club leaving only vegetarian options and free-range poultry and fish from sustainable stocks. Other eco facilities at the stadium include solar panels, rainwater collected to be reused around the stadium, an organic pitch and a natural habitat outside of the stadium for wild flowers and trees.
Planning permission for a new eco-friendly wooden stadium near the M5 was refused in June and a new plan submitted in August.

The matchday food menu includes veggie burgers, homemade soup, a Q pie (either quorn and leek or sweet potatoe, chick pea and spinach fillings) or Mexican quorn fajitas.
Drinks like vegan beers, ciders and wine are also available.

Fans are encouraged to car share when travelling to the New Lawn stadium or use the park and ride bus service at £3 per car. There is car parking at a nearby school at £5 per car.
Electric car charging points are available at the stadium.

A bar for away fans is situated inside the stadium and opens at 12 noon.

FGR stadium info

Inside FGR video .... You Tube

Forest Green Rovers fan Phil Doble has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q and A ...

Q: Given the excellent start what are your thoughts on Rovers' season so far?
A: We're delighted with our start to the season and with our young squad who have started to knit together well as a team.  But we're not getting carried away - we know there are some really strong sides in this league and many games to go.  We were especially pleased to get a result away at Cheltenham last time out - not only because of the local rivalry but also because they have been so good at home this year.

Q: What are your views on manager Mark Cooper?
A: Mark Cooper is in his 3rd season at FGR and is very well respected as our manager.  He works hard and prepares well.

Q: Can you give Argyle fans an insight into owner Dale Vince and the financial situation at the club?
A: Dale Vince has given football a fresh outlook at the club.  He met resistance in his early years (and there are still fans who are sceptical) but I sense this resistance has softened significantly.

Q: Rovers are known as the world's first vegan football club, can you tell us what other sustainable and eco-friendly measures are in use at the New Lawn?
A: As well as the more obvious changes (veganism, sustainability, kits made of bamboo etc) he has challenged the 'old school' model of a tie and jacketed club hierarchy.  We are more of a 'democratic' club than most (even though we have an owner).  We hope that plans for a new stadium in the nearby area will be given approval soon.  The club seems to be competently and commercially run.  The vegan food available at the stadium is excellent.  The pitch is (I think) the only organic pitch in the EFL and is mowed by a solar powered robot (the 'Mobot').  Water falling on the pitch is collected and used for all water needs (bar drinking water) at the stadium.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Rovers likely to use against Argyle?
A: Rovers are a footballing side - we don't tend to play 'hit and hope' football and we enjoy sides who also come to play.  Hard to predict the formation on Saturday.  It varies according to personnel available (our squad isn't huge) and the opposition we're playing. 

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: I don't know much about the Pilgrims as this is obviously our first EFL meeting.  Clearly a well-respected and (by our standards) a huge club.  We expected Argyle to be at least play-off contenders this season but can see that early season promise has tailed off a little recently.  We hope that Argyle fans really enjoy their visit to Nailsworth and the surrounding area (if they can find it on their sat-navs!) and hope that it stays dry - our apologies that our away standing area isn't covered which is a downside of the ground (good reasons why this is the case, but a downside, nonetheless).  You should find FGR supporters a pretty friendly bunch! 

Q: Finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: As for a prediction for the result, I won't be placing a bet in any direction - I think it's a very hard one to call.
------------------------------------------

The game will be broadcast live in the USA on ESPN+, beIN Sports and Kayo Sports in Australia, HUB Sports 2 in Singapore and several channels in Eastern Europe.

Wednesday

Sam Purkiss is the man in the middle for the game, he was the referee for Argyle's game against Salford City at Home Park in August. So far this season he has issued 40 yellow cards and no red cards in 12 games.
He will be assisted by Chris Wade and Andrew Aylott while the fourth official is Paul Hobday.

Directions to the New Lawn
GL6 0FG
There are two ways to get to the stadium.
M5 junction 13 onto A419 to Stroud onto A46 south towards Nailsworth, at town centre turn right at roundabout to Spring Hill. From Plymouth 148 miles, approx 2 hours 35 minutes.
M4 junction 18 onto A46 north towards Nailsworth, at town centre turn left at roundabout to Spring Hill. From Plymouth 149 miles, approx 2 hours 36 minutes.

According to Sky Bet Forest Green Rovers are favourites to win at 13/10, an Argyle win has odds of 19/10 and a draw is placed at 9/4.

Rovers have lost just once in their last 13 games, a 1-0 defeat at Exeter City in October and have lost just once at home this season - a 2-0 loss against Newport County in August.

Rovers lost 6-0 away to Walsall on Tuesday evening in an EFL Trophy game.

Matchday info .... FGR club website

Thursday

The away stand at the New Lawn has a maximum capacity of 1,224 which is made up of 100 covered seats, 180 covered standing and 944 uncovered standing.

According to the Transfermarkt website the Forest Green Rovers squad is valued at £2.61 million; the Argyle squad is worth £3.60 million.

Inside FGR .... The Mirror

Updated live TV schedule for the game....

All about FGR .... club website

Midfielder Danny Mayor looks ahead to the game ...
“If I’m honest, I don’t really know a lot about them this season, but I do know they are doing well. They were a good team last year and I thought, as well as us (Bury), were one of the best teams in the league. They have been doing really well, carrying on their good form from last season.
“The last time I went there with Bury we got battered, but we did win 2-1. I would take that if they give us a good game on Saturday.”

Friday

Match preview ...Gloucester Live

Pre-match video intervew with FGR manager Mark Cooper ...You Tube

Match preview and betting ... Link

FGR's season

Saturday

Inside the matchday programme .. FGR club website

Ryan Lowe talks about Forest Green Rovers and manager Mark Cooper .. club website
Mark Cooper has done a fantastic job, he’s just missed out the last couple of years, he’s a terrific bloke, a good guy, one of the good guys.
“He plays the right way, hence why he’s been up there the last few seasons, so I’ve got nothing but the upmost respect for Coops."
From the FGR fans' forum ..
Pointless statistic about today's game ...
Plymouth is the largest city / town (263k) in England (and Wales) never to have had a team in the top flight.
And as we know, FGR has the smallest town (6k) to host a league club.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
With both teams having green team strips, and Argyle's away strip also green, presumably Argyle be wearing its 3rd strip - the black 'un.

Also, given the shared colours and FGR only offering vegan food and drink options, "come on you greens" will have an entirely different context.

StroudGreen

♣️ PASTA Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stroud
Living just 500 yards from The New Lawn, do I qualify as the closest living Argyle fan to a game where we have played!! :lol:

Nailsworth, the Home Of FGR is probably the smallest place to host a league club in the country, with a population of only around 6,000, but it is a very picturesque Cotswold village. Best route from the M5 is to leave at J13 and follow the A419 to Stroud. Then follow the A46 to Nailsworth/Bath and ground is signposted when you reach Nailsworth. As a ST holder, the bi-weekly trip from Nailsworth to Home Park takes me around 2 hours 15 on a clear run.
Parking is not great, if you are lucky there is some limited off road parking or a car park at the nearby school, but don’t leave it close to kićk off.

Down the hill from the ground and in the village centre, there are a couple of decent pubs (The Village Inn and The Britannia) both of which are around a 15-20 walk back up the hill! There’s a decent chippy next to The Village Inn, otherwise there are some classy bistro type places or you take your chances with the vegan stuff!

Fingers crossed it stays dry or else we will get a soaking on the open terrace. Safe trip, see you there. :scarf:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Penlee":mblbmvuk said:
Weather forecast thankfully looks pretty benign.

I don't know what StroudGreen thinks but, as I said on another thread, it is definitely the coldest ground I have ever watched a match at!! On top of the hill and not much stopping the wind blowing through. I was there working so maybe wasn't 'wrapped up' enough (My Mum would have never allowed that! ;) )

So, I'd look at the temperature and wind gauges before the rain gauge!! :scarf:

edit: clodest?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Short trip for me from the Forest with the lad, and then home to a 50th birthday party after some vegan hospitality at the game. Looking forward to it but hoping my 50th isn’t ruined by a loss and/or my son moaning about not being able to have a proper burger.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Forest of Dean Green":1dtrnumd said:
Short trip for me from the Forest with the lad, and then home to a 50th birthday party after some vegan hospitality at the game. Looking forward to it but hoping my 50th isn’t ruined by a loss and/or my son moaning about not being able to have a proper burger.

Can this quote from the OP be correct?: :shock:

" .... all meat products are banned at the club leaving only vegetarian options and free-range poultry and fish from sustainable stocks."

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Pogleswoody":3ike2k7k said:
Forest of Dean Green":3ike2k7k said:

" .... all meat products are banned at the club leaving only vegetarian options and free-range poultry and fish from sustainable stocks."

So free-range poultry isn't meat? I would have thought that if the club is truly vegan there would be absolutely no meat or fish available whether free-range or from sustainable stocks etc.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Reminds me of 'Nanna' in Royal Family. 'Can she have thinly cut ham then Barbara' when she was told her nephew's girlfriend was a vegetarian. :greensmile:

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Pogleswoody":cvgo96hn said:
Forest of Dean Green":cvgo96hn said:

I think there has been some error there, probably looking at old material.

There is no dairy milk either, but oat and other "alternative" choices.

This is not a vegetarian club, this is a vegan club.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
My wife is a Vegetarian and for probably the first time in our married life I do not have to worry that she will be able to find some good options to eat :)
As I could not get a ticket through Argyle we booked Hospitality through FGR and I have to say it looks decent value for the whole package

StroudGreen

♣️ PASTA Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stroud
Pogleswoody":3luq74q9 said:
Penlee":3luq74q9 said:
Weather forecast thankfully looks pretty benign.

I don't know what StroudGreen thinks but, as I said on another thread, it is definitely the coldest ground I have ever watched a match at!! On top of the hill and not much stopping the wind blowing through. I was there working so maybe wasn't 'wrapped up' enough (My Mum would have never allowed that! ;) )

So, I'd look at the temperature and wind gauges before the rain gauge!! :scarf:

edit: clodest?

Agreed Polgles, bleddy freezing, even in August!

Mar 25, 2007
A local game for me too, Mrs is an FGR fan so going to be in the home end.

They are definitely a passing side who keep it down and use width. Attractive attacking football, where we heard that before?! Mansfield nicked a point off them through sheer physicality, so would expect us to be in their faces.

As Stroudgreen says, parking nearby isnt easy. The park and ride will save you walking up the ruddy big hill.

May 16, 2016
tonycholwell":22nsarmo said:
Pogleswoody":22nsarmo said:
Forest of Dean Green":22nsarmo said:

I think there has been some error there, probably looking at old material.

There is no dairy milk either, but oat and other "alternative" choices.

This is not a vegetarian club, this is a vegan club.

So no meaty challenges then ?

May 8, 2011
There are still tickets for covered and uncovered standing available to buy via the Argyle ticket website.