Plymouth Argyle v Bradford City - the build up + Q&A | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Bradford City - the build up + Q&A

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
Bradford City
Official website
Width of a Post
Fans Forum
Twitter

The countdown to Bradford

Tuesday

Bradford City fan Jason McKeown, editor of Width of a Post, has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ....

Q: What are your thoughts on Bradford's season so far?
A: So far, so good. I think most City fans went into this season fearing a transition year of mid-table, as the legacy of last seasonā€™s dismal relegation still hung over the club. But weā€™ve adapted to life in League Two very well. Many of last seasonā€™s underachievers have come good, and the new arrivals have been solid.
It still feels thereā€™s more to come from the side, and that performances could be more convincing. But to be in the top three a third of the way into the season is very encouraging.

Q: What are your views on manager Gary Bowyer?
A: Itā€™s a complicated one really. Weā€™ve endured so many changes of manager of the last few years that Iā€™m feeling a bit cynical and weary. Iā€™m therefore struggling to fully embrace Bowyer. Simply because recent history has shown a real volatility with the managerā€™s position at Valley Parade.
That said, Bowyer has done a very good job so far. He came in last March with the club in a real mess. And though he didnā€™t do a great job preventing relegation, he has to make significant changes over the summer that have united the fans and players again. I like his calmness, and his humour, which is a very good fit for a club that can so often face short-term panic and crisis.

Ultimately, if Bowyer doesnā€™t get City up this season questions will be asked. But he has the know-how and experience to get the club over the line. Iā€™ve certainly got confidence with him at the helm.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Bradford in a stable state at the moment?
A: This is a complicated one. Up until the summer of 2016 we were a solid, well-run club regularly making a profit. But after the club was bought by Stefan Rupp and Edin Rahic, chaos ensued within a couple of years due to the reckless way the latter was running things. Rupp was a silent partner, very much in the dark about the financial mismanagement of Rahic. Once he got wise to it, Rahic was gone. But he left considerable debts that, fortunately, Rupp has been able to cover.

Nevertheless, the two-and-a-half years where Rahic ran the club tore apart a strong dressing room, brought managerial instability and saw many good staff behind the scenes depart. Putting it all back together will take time, and City are still recovering from the mess. We were lucky that Rupp has deep pockets, so at least have avoided a Bury, Bolton or Macclesfield situation.

Q: Of particular interest to football fans is the Ā£150 cost of a season ticket at Bradford, is this business model still working financially for the club?
A: Itā€™s been over a decade now and still going strong. When the club was on the up during the Phil Parkinson years, we ended up with more season ticket holders than we had in the Premier League.
The big test was what would happen when difficult years inevitably occurred. Once Rahicā€™s chaos became more evident, City did lose around 4,000 season ticket holders for the 2018/19 season. But we actually increased season ticket holders for this campaign, despite relegation, showing that the affordable season tickets has also bred loyal supporters.

The approach will always have its critics, not least among hardcore City fans who argue higher prices would lead to stronger playing budgets. But, personally, I think itā€™s great to have a fuller Valley Parade. And in these difficult economic times for the city of Bradford, keeping professional football affordable is something to be proud of.
Ā 

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: Despite the fears of a mid-table season from many fans, others were demanding League Two domination. The debate about expectation levels dominated early season conversations. But now the league table is truly taking shape, most people seem content that City are up there.
I think we can win the league personally. Iā€™ve not seen any team to fear. At the very least, we should be targeting a top three finish. A play off spot is a minimum expectation.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Bradford likely to use against Argyle?
A: Bowyer doesnā€™t play the most exciting brand of football, but we are becoming more fluent. He likes to play a 4-3-3, with the emphasis on wide players running at people and plenty of crosses in the box. However, we have a huge injury list which has definitely disrupted our style of play. Ā 

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: I work with a Plymouth fan so we chat regularly about our respective clubsā€™ fortunes. I was amazed you got relegated with us, as for months my friend kept saying you were just one win away from survival ā€“ that win just never came until it was too late!
I always admire how many fans you bring up to Valley Parade. And seven years ago, I did actually make the trip to Home Park myself. A 0-0 draw on a Tuesday night. Still, Plymouth seemed a friendly city.

Q: Finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Iā€™m surprised youā€™re not up there with us. Ryan Lowe looked a fine appointment, and you have a squad that on paper should be up there. Your recent form is showing signs of improvement ā€“ beating Forest Green is a notable achievement ā€“ and we never win at Home Park.
So Iā€™d probably say it will be a draw. And I reckon neither team would be too unhappy if that is the outcome.

-----------------------------------------------------

Referee Ollie Yates is the man in the middle for Saturday's game, so far this season he has issued 45 yellow cards and four reds in 15 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in April last season when the Pilgrims' lost 2-0 at Doncaster Rovers.
He will be assisted at Home Park by Steve Plane and Mark Derrien while the fourth official is Brett Huxtable.

Bradford City fan Manny Dominguez, Chair of Bradford City Supporters Trust, has also kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ....

A: What are your thoughts on Bradford's season so far?
A: I've not been to many games at all this season because I work weekends but what appears to be the case is that we are scoring more goals than we are letting in so we must be doing something right. The drop to League 2 has seen a drop in the quality of football so it is not pretty to watch that's for sure, but the League table speaks for itself.

A: Bowyer came in a difficult time last season, he was unable to transform the teams fortunes to steer us from the drop, but he has brought in players he had been looking at and with the backing of the Club there was a lot of work to embed the historical values of theĀ club and this season he has done a great job in developing the team spirit in his image.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Bradford in a stable state at the moment?
A: The Club has had to be financially prudent, like many other clubs competing at this level, overheads get bigger higher up the pyramid. Player sell on clauses have helped financially as well and the Club have been re engaging with fans groups and sponsors.

Q: Of particular interest to football fans is the Ā£150 cost of a season ticket at Bradford, is this business model still working financially for the club?
A: The attendances speak for themselves really. We have had the cheap season ticket offer now since 2007 I think and now there is a culture amongst fans to renew into double figures whatever the fortunes on the pitch.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: The hope or expectation is automatic promotion from the fans. That is expectation from the heart, but the reality maybe different. A lot can happen between now and April. Personally I was hoping for a play-off spot or a consolidation in League 2 where we finish on a positive note.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Bradford likely to use against Argyle?
A: It's going to be a gritty performance with opportunities for both sides.

A: I've seen the Green Army a few times at Valley Parade and I also saw them at Huddersfield Town and York City as I have an Argyle friend living in Bradford, but I have never been to Home Park. So from what I've seen is they like to play football, and so do we should we get the opportunity so we may see some flashes of some good football.

A: 2-1 City!
------------------------------------

Argyle have played Bradford at Home Park 26 times, winning 13 games, drawing seven and losing six. The last defeat at home was in August 1994 when the Bantams won 5-1.
Ā 
Bradford play Shrewsbury Town at Valley Parade tonight in a FA Cup First Round replay game, the winner will secure a home tie against Mansfield Town.

Wednesday

Bradford were knocked out of the FA Cup on Tuesday after losing 1-0 to Shrewsbury Town at Valley Parade.

Sky Bet has placed Argyle at 5/4 to win, a Bradford win is ranked at 2/1 and the draw is on offer at 23/10.

The Bantams of have won four of their last five league games including impressive home wins against Exeter City and Swindon Town.

Half time games

Bradford stats

Thursday

The half-time guest is disability darts World Cup winner Snowy Dyson ...... club website

Bradford captain James Vaughan looks ahead to the game ... Telegraph & Argus

Bradford fans forum .... match thread

Ryan Lowe talks about the return to fitness of former Bradford striker Billy Clarke ....
ā€œHe did a terrific job for them. They will see him on Saturday definitely, whether they see him on the pitch is another matter.
ā€œWe have just got to make sure that we do right by Bill. He has just had a little niggle.
ā€œHeā€™s a terrific player, a terrific lad and he knows how hard it is to get in the team. He has got to work to get in there.
ā€œHeā€™s not far off. He has been working his socks off."

Inside Bradford City

The weather forecast for the match is light rain with a temperature of 10 degrees. Heavy rain is forecast throughout Friday but there's no danger of a waterlogged pitch.

Friday

Bantams midfielder Harry Pritchard looks ahead to the game ... Bradford club website
"We know how Plymouth play and are ready for the match. We have a game-plan in place to help us go there and, hopefully, get a result.
"We have been working hard - since the Shrewsbury defeat - on this weekend and how to stop Plymouth playing, get forward and score some goals."
The Bradford guide to PAFC .... Bradford club website

Bradford City fan Mike Harrison, editor of fanzine The City Gent, has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ....

Q: What are your thoughts on Bradford's season so far?
A: The general feeling is that the season so far has been very acceptable. Of course Bradford City fans would have liked to have progressed in the cups and the games we have lost in the league could have been avoided. But after last seasonā€™s relegation and another big turnover in players during the summer being currently in 3rd place with a couple of games in hand is a good position to be in.

A: My views on Gary Bowyer is that I like him. He is a genuinely nice bloke with a dry sense of humour. He also is a student of the game and seems to be a good man manager. In the latest issue of The City Gent I have even gone so far as to pay him the compliment that he has a similarity to Phil Parkinson and the way he turned the club round. If Bowyer can manage to get the Bantams back into League One at the first time of asking he will achieve a similar amount of praise that Parkinson did back in 2012/13.

A: We seem to be ok at the moment as we seem to have overcome the troubles we had last season.

A: This season is the 13th year of the discounted season tickets and it still works well for us. I know Plymouth weā€™re thinking of adopting a similar policy but I donā€™t think they implemented it. Valley Parade is a big stadium and needs a large crowd of fans to create an atmosphere. Despite relegation last season we are averaging over 14K this season due to the Ā£150 season ticket policy.

A: Before the season started I think most Bradford City fans would have hoped for a top 7 finish, but now those expectations will have been raised to wanting a top 3 position and automatic promotion.

A: With Clayton Donaldson still out injured, itā€™ll be James Vaughan playing in attack probably assisted by Remi Oteh who is on loan from QPR. Midfield will probably be Hope Akpan, Harry Pritchard, Callum Cooke and Dylan Connolly. The back four is likely to be Connor Wood, Ben Richards-Everton, Anthony Oā€™Connor and Adam Henley. With Richard Oā€™Donnell in goal who is the only ever present in the team. The formation should be 4-4-2 unless Vaughan is the lone striker and then itā€™ll be 4-5-1.

A: Another club who had a poor season last year and is getting used to being in League Two again. Also, another well supported club that ought to be playing at a higher level, but like Bradford City they have to work hard to earn promotion. I fully expect them to be at least challenging for the play offs at the very least.

A: After the home defeat to Shrewsbury in the FA Cup reply on Tuesday night the Bantams will be looking to get back into League Two action, but could well come up against a Plymouth side that may well make full use of their home advantage. Home Park always seems to be a tough ground to play at and Iā€™d be happy with a point, but I feel it may well be a home win.
---------------------------------
Match preview .... Telegraph and Argus

Matchday mascots

Former Argyle striker Ian Stonebridge is the half-time guest.

Away Day Guide for Bradford Fans

The cover of the digital programme ...

Bantams manager Gary Bowyer talks about the game
"The mood in the camp is good. We have been through our past few games and worked on areas which we need to improve on.
"We are looking forward to what should be a really good game of football.
"Ryan Lowe did a really good job at Bury - in the circumstances - and has gone about his business, at Plymouth, very well.
"I expect them to be right up there, around the automatic promotion places - come the end of the season.
"The spirits among our lads are very high and we are looking forward to Saturday."

Saturday

Bradford's season so far

Ryan Lowe talks about Bradford manager Gary Bowyer ... club website
"Me and Gaz are good friends; we have a good relationship. There is no battle between me him, I donā€™t buy into that. Iā€™ve got the utmost respect for him."

The matchday programme ...

Today is a Rainbow Laces game.

News of the pre-match Fan Zone and live screening of a Premier League game .... Ready Reckoner

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Preview: Plymouth Argyle v Bradford

Argyle have made Home Park into a fortress once more in League Two this season, losing just once at home, and come into the game full of confidence following their win over Forest Green last weekend.

Both sides have looked fairly disciplined of late, but with Argyle's quality down the left side against Kelvin Mellor and Bradford's frequent use of wide play, both sides could find themselves stretched throughout.

Opposition View: Plymouth Argyle v Bradford

I wasnā€™t too confident going into the season, as the legacy of last year left us with a squad full of players who had let the club down. But full credit to Gary Bowyer, who has restored unity and brought back positivity.

We havenā€™t always been convincing, but results are very promising and you feel the team will only get better once a considerable injury list clears up. League Two doesnā€™t look especially strong, so promotion has to be a realistic possibility.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ā›³ļø
šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æ
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Penmaster":12hcjwy8 said:
Weather been awful and more rain is forecast - any suspicion of a pitch inspection?

There will be no need for a pitch inspection the drainage is that good. Apparently you could empty a swimming pool on the pitch & play on it 5 mins later.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
And the sprinklers will be used today. Thanks Inscapes!

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
saxman":3txy5xzc said:
Carl Barnard":3txy5xzc said:
Will Home Park open early for this game to watch on the tvs does anyone know?
Does anyone care?

Many Argyle fans have their preferred Premier League club, why wouldnā€™t any of them be Hammers or Tottenham?