Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Long and all-encompassing chat on Are You Not Entertained... https://ayne.podbean.com/e/ayne_0211/

He DOES mention Americanisation as a positive thing, be warned :shock:

Just up to the academy discussion now, says its unacceptable we've fallen behind Exeter and that Argyle have appointed an impressive new director.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Biggs":1j0uhuna said:
Long and all-encompassing chat on Are You Not Entertained... https://ayne.podbean.com/e/ayne_0211/

He DOES mention Americanisation as a positive thing, be warned :shock:

Just up to the academy discussion now, says its unacceptable we've fallen behind Exeter and that Argyle have appointed an impressive new director.

I'm just at that bit too, it was the director of football that he says we've appointed too that caught my attention, but who we've not announced yet, so he can't say who it is but he's worked at a top Premier League club and with the FA... sounds like someone we already know.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Having just listened to the whole of that podcast, featuring our erudite and eloquent owner, I can't help thinking that there are no way near enough of his kind in positions of authority in English football - and how lucky we should consider ourselves that Simon Hallett is associated with Argyle. :thumbs:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I hate the thought of Americanisation of football BUT he sells it well and I love his point. 'The hard core will come anyway'. :greensmile:

I think his point about changing plastics into ST holders is a bit pie in the sky, but let's hope I'm proved wrong.

A cracking listen and it's great PR for PAFC that we have Simon pushing our values to such an extent.

Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for posting that link I found it a fascinating listen. I think I agree with everything he says and we really are in good hands. The only way to convert plastics (and we shouldn’t look down on them because I would probably be one too unless my dad happened to take me to Home Park) is to get a winning team. The new grandstand which he has so generously funded will help our performances on the pitch.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He got the 'we can learn from rugby' comment wrong though didn't he? :wtf:

Apart from miking up the ref' (which I think is brilliant) I'm not sure what that sport can teach football.

Jul 14, 2008
Not sure about that. Rugby fans are massively passionate about their teams, they just don’t generally act like idiots in supporting them. That said, I wouldn’t want to get rid of segregated areas in football.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mmm take away our tribalism and football would be a lesser place.o

I'm not talking aggro but I love the passion between sets of fans.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
IJN":1gr2glla said:
...I think his point about changing plastics into ST holders is a bit pie in the sky, but let's hope I'm proved wrong...

It could happen Ian, that's exactly what happened with me.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Great interview, really interesting to hear his plans for the club and how down to earth he is.

We're truly in great hands. Long may it continue

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
A really enjoyable hour listening in. The Americanisation bit is surely just reflecting the reality that if you want people to turn up that aren't fanatics then you need to make sure they have an experience that they will want to replicate and hopefully we win a few games along the way. As a ST holder of many a year I would call myself a fanatic in that sense SH means, and I believe that if you get enough people to turn up including the youngsters, surely quite a few will get hooked along the way, I certainly hope so,
Pete

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just listened to Simon's contribution to the podcast. Very sensible and honest approach, which clearly surprised the two presenters (podcasters), and scored many brownie points for me with his desire to make Argyle more successful and an enjoyable experience for fans of differing persuasions. This might be the start of something really good under Simon's stewardship and, for someone like me who has been a fan since 1964, something to get really excited about and to spread the word. Let's all go and watch Argyle dreckly.
Fawlty

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
IJN":3vitf2b8 said:
He got the 'we can learn from rugby' comment wrong though didn't he? :wtf:

Apart from miking up the ref' (which I think is brilliant) I'm not sure what that sport can teach football.

How about being able to enjoy a pint or two whilst watching the game. Yes you will always get those that will over exert themselves but I think filling up before the game exasperates the issue somewhat.

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
An interesting 90mins of listening.
Whilst James Brent was in some way a reluctant owner who stepped in to save the club and achieved that and more, Simon wants to be directly involved, advise, influence and take the club to the next level and beyond, that just doesn't only mean on the field.
As it's been mentioned, We are in safe hands, and with someone who has both feet firmly on the ground. Let's enjoy the journey.
:scarf:

Oct 21, 2005
plymouth
Can we go back to the Director of Football comments, whereby a shortlist of 4 players would be put forward to the Manager by the DOF for him to select which one of those 4 players that he wants !

Thats a massive change of direction and one that has failed to retain decent managers over time when they feel that there wings are being clipped.

Who is this mysterious DOF ??