Highlights

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
I thought both penalties looked a little soft.I
wouldn't be happy if I was a Rovers fan. I'm happy with the result though and a chance to push on into the third round.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
derbygreen":25izvyob said:
wouldn't be happy if I was a Rovers fan. I'm happy with the result though and a chance to push on into the third round.

I think both are penalties, they’re not the most stonewall penalties you’ll see granted but the first is a shove in the back and for the second it looks like Moore is pulled. We deserved the draw at a minimum and if I were a Rovers fan I’d be feeling fortunate to still be in the hat.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
How do you define a ‘soft’ penalty?

Surely, it is either a correct decision or an incorrect decision. I haven’t seen the highlights yet.

Is there a suggestion that a foul in the penalty should be judged more leniently than an identical foul outside the penalty area?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
We were denied two more "clear" pens beforehand and the two more dubious ones were given. Likewise Rovers fortunate not to have received a red for a cynical lunge.

Swings and roundabouts, but I think many fans from both sides will agree the ref was carp.

Cracking game though and a decent afternoon out.

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
davie nine":1tihnvtc said:

Surely, it is either a correct decision or an incorrect decision. I haven’t seen the highlights yet.

Is there a suggestion that a foul in the penalty should be judged more leniently than an identical foul outside the penalty area?

Just a thought, maybe try watching the highlights before asking questions regarding the highlights?? Link available on the OP :thumbup:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I will but it won’t help me to understand what the definition is of a ‘soft’ penalty.

I guess it reminds me of when I took my driving test about 55 years ago and the examiner gave me a ‘reluctant pass’.

I was delighted then and I was delighted that we got our ‘soft’ penalties although I wish that Antoni Sarcevic had converted both.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cobi Budge":u20sw77f said:
derbygreen":u20sw77f said:

I think both are penalties, they’re not the most stonewall penalties you’ll see granted but the first is a shove in the back and for the second it looks like Moore is pulled. We deserved the draw at a minimum and if I were a Rovers fan I’d be feeling fortunate to still be in the hat.
i was at the match cobi in the front of the standing terrace,do you think byron should have scored?

Feb 8, 2005
davie nine":2k5xx3iz said:

I guess the answer to your question, Davie, is that the referee has to decide whether it IS a foul or whether the player has dived.

These days there will probably be a bit of both. The player has to decide what his chances are of scoring a goal and if he thinks he is unlikely to do so then he looks for contact from the opposition player before going to ground. Is it a foul? Is it a dive? It can be a bit of both and the referee has to make a quick decision as to whether he awards a penalty or not.

There are less clear cut decisions these days and the referee has to make a decision on what he has seen, which may not be from the best position from which a decision should be made (hence VAR, to make the decision easier for the ref).

The greater the dive, the softer the penalty decision I guess, going from 100% stonewall foul to 100% dive with little contact made, and all aspects in between.

I blame the continental footballers for bringing diving into the game and I also blame FIFA for not clamping down on it and it now seems to be treated as being part and parcel of the game.

In the early days the continentals did have a lot more skill than the English players and we used to hack them down relentlessly, so I suppose they have refined their diving skills in order to counter this treatment, and of course they have brought it with them into the British game as the Premiership has opened the door to the influx of foreign players.

We English have just copied them and it has now infiltrated all four leagues and probably all the schoolkids are now teaching themselves as they see it on tv as a matter of course.

Diving IS cheating, of course, because players do it in order to persuade the referee to award them an advantage, when their actions don't really warrant it.

There is so much at stake these days that players want to obtain every advantage that they can get.

Now don't get me started on time-wasting, the other bug bare of the professional game!!!!

Aug 8, 2013
Anyone think there was a handball in the area after the penalty was saved ?
Just my imagination ?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jimsing":3h20e40k said:
davie nine":3h20e40k said:

I guess the answer to your question, Davie, is that the referee has to decide whether it IS a foul or whether the player has dived.

These days there will probably be a bit of both. The player has to decide what his chances are of scoring a goal and if he thinks he is unlikely to do so then he looks for contact from the opposition player before going to ground. Is it a foul? Is it a dive? It can be a bit of both and the referee has to make a quick decision as to whether he awards a penalty or not.

There are less clear cut decisions these days and the referee has to make a decision on what he has seen, which may not be from the best position from which a decision should be made (hence VAR, to make the decision easier for the ref).

The greater the dive, the softer the penalty decision I guess, going from 100% stonewall foul to 100% dive with little contact made, and all aspects in between.

I blame the continental footballers for bringing diving into the game and I also blame FIFA for not clamping down on it and it now seems to be treated as being part and parcel of the game.

In the early days the continentals did have a lot more skill than the English players and we used to hack them down relentlessly, so I suppose they have refined their diving skills in order to counter this treatment, and of course they have brought it with them into the British game as the Premiership has opened the door to the influx of foreign players.

We English have just copied them and it has now infiltrated all four leagues and probably all the schoolkids are now teaching themselves as they see it on tv as a matter of course.

Diving IS cheating, of course, because players do it in order to persuade the referee to award them an advantage, when their actions don't really warrant it.

There is so much at stake these days that players want to obtain every advantage that they can get.

Now don't get me started on time-wasting, the other bug bare of the professional game!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion on that, jimsing. Much appreciated.
Kevb77, I’ll watch the highlights now.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":1pd5w5eu said:
davie nine":1pd5w5eu said:

Good post.

For clarity I would like to add, going down after feeling a touch and letting the referee make a decision is hoping the referee makes a WRONG decision and therefore is cheating.

Aug 5, 2016
I don't see why Byron Moore would have dived from point blank range, he clearly was thrown off balance. As a skinny lad it wouldn't be hard to knock him off balance, he is hardly built like Trigger is he. From outside the box to when he is about to shoot, their defender has his wrist shirt sleeve firmly in his grip - when Moore tries to change direction he can't keep up with the ball because of it.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Gary S":1eqyd9rv said:
Anyone think there was a handball in the area after the penalty was saved ?
Just my imagination ?

I've only seen the incident once (live on TV) but I shouted for handball immediately.