Apr 3, 2013

Cambridge United
Official website
Ground guide
Fans forum
Twitter

The countdown to Cambridge

Tuesday

Michael Salisbury is the referee for the game, he has issued 39 yellow cards and seven reds in 16 games this season. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in September 2018 for the 0-0 draw at Bristol Rovers.
His father, Graham, is also an EFL referee. Salisbury will be assisted on Saturday by Dan Cook and Stephen Brown while the fourth official is Oliver Brown.

Argyle have played Cambridge 12 times at the Abbey Stadium, winning two games, drawing four and losing six.

The U's occupy 13th place in League Two on 24 points, winning three, drawing three and losing three of their nine home games. The game against Argyle will be the first home league for Cambridge since 2 November.
They have won just two games from the last 15 in all competitions.

Wednesday

According to Sky Bet Cambridge are favourites to win with odds of 7/5, an Argyle win is placed at 9/5 and the draw is on offer at 9/4.

Pay on the day is available with a Ā£2 increase on each ticket; an adult ticket will cost Ā£22 on Saturday. Seating is unreserved.

The U's announce plans for a new 12,000 capacity stadium .... Cambridge club website

As of 12.30PM today Argyle fans have snapped 800 tickets.

Thursday

Cambridge United fan Owen Mizon from @YABATVcufc has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q & A, also thanks to Ollie.

Q: What are your thoughts on your season so far?
A: Itā€™s been an extremely contrasting season for United so far. The inability to show some consistency and kill off teams has proved frustrating, and itā€™s exactly why we sit where we do - mid-table. There has been some extremely positive results for the team, weā€™ve gone to Crewe and Mansfield and won 3-2 and 4-0 respectively. We hit four again when Exeter visited The Abbey in October, which Iā€™m sure Argyle were no doubt pleased to hear. But like Iā€™ve stated, thereā€™s been a plethora of games where we should have got something out of it, which no doubt would have catapulted us to play-off flirtation. Oldham and Grimsby at home springs to mind. Nevertheless, itā€™s an improvement on last season. But still not as pleasing on the eye as we would like.

Q: What are your views on Head Coach Colin Calderwood?
A: Colin Calderwood was brought into the club last December to steer the ship for the remainder of the campaign, if you like. He achieved what was no doubt the aim when it got to March time - avoiding relegation. In the summer, he, along with the staff, made some impressive signings, adding further depth to the squad and providing competition in all areas. Being plagued by injuries to key men hasnā€™t helped, but overall heā€™s done a satisfactory job so far. Is he the man to take this club forward? That question has come under fire the precious few weeks, which is understandable as the performances arenā€™t pretty. Thereā€™s very few shots on target in games and the United faithful arenā€™t being entertained. As we know, football can change so quickly, so a few positive or negative results now during this busy Christmas schedule could prove make or break.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Cambridge in a stable state at the moment?
A: Relatively stable. Financial readings for the past few seasons have been poor, to say the least. Weā€™re said to have a ā€œcompetitive budget,ā€ which is obviously music to the United faithfuls ears. But itā€™s hard to tell just how truthful that really is. A lot has been discussed on that matter of late, we are open for further backing and further investment, but as weā€™ve learnt so well over the past year, it could be a lot worse. Still, we remain cautious.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for Cambridge this season?
A: Before the season, when you put into account the calibre of players we signed, mid-table was the absolute minimum. Which would be a vast improvement compared to last season. However, ever since we were promoted back to this league in 2014, we havenā€™t shown too many signs of improvement being completely honest. Weā€™re yet to take it to the next level, which is a shame. Iā€™d be more than content with 12th, personally, and then hopefully kick on next season. Whether that will happen, or if weā€™ll regress like we have a tendency to do, is hard to predict as of yet. But like many other fans, we want to be entertained. Thatā€™s a major starting point.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Cambridge likely to use against Argyle?
A: Although itā€™s stirred up some debate over the past few weeks, itā€™s looking extremely likely that weā€™ll play with 5 at the back. Something which Colin Calderwood has come accustomed to thus far this season. Has it proved effective as we initially thought it would? Unfortunately not. Weā€™re still prone to silly errors at the back and seem to be isolated up too, despite the efforts of loan striker Sam Smith, a shining beacon so far this season. We do have some bite and creativity in the middle of the park, especially in the likes of tricky loan midfielder Jack Roles and the energetic Luke Hannant, who you could play anywhere and heā€™d put in a shift. Letā€™s hope we utilise that.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: I like Plymouth. Theyā€™ve got a good manager in Ryan Lowe, he knows the division extremely well now. As do his players, which I think is invaluable. Despite a relatively shaky start, you look to be on your way now to where you should be. Itā€™s always refreshing seeing a team play out from the back, and now youā€™re starting to take more of these chances and dealing better with crosses into the box than what you previously were, I see a good second half of the campaign. Danny Mayor and Antoni Sarcevic are fantastic players to have in the squad, I like the look of Josh Grant too.

Q: And finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: Form favours Argyle, no doubt about that. Itā€™s been a month since United last graced The Abbey, so Iā€™m hoping that will fire them up to perform. For our sake! The betting man in me says 2-0 Plymouth, but the optimistic one says itā€™ll be 1-1.
---------------------------------
Cambridge manager Colin Calderwood spoke about playing against Argyle ...

Inside Cambridge

Cambridge injury news - midfielder Samir Carruthers is expected to return from injury and play against Argyle ... Cambridgeshire Live

Argyle keeper Alex Palmer talks about current form and looks ahead to the game ... club website
We know that Cambridge away from home will be a tough game, but we also know that if we play as well as we can, we can get a result. I played them last year when I made my debut for Oldham. They are a good team and have good players, but it is about us.ā€

Friday

Cambridge manager Colin Calderwood spoke about the game ...
ā€œThereā€™s a number of players that obviously came from Bury and are down there. Itā€™s no surprise that the club is edging towards the top at the minute and seem to be leading the way.
ā€œThey are probably the ones that everyone had picked out for promotion, maybe with one or two others.
ā€œWeā€™ve got a tough test on our hands. Itā€™s a team in good form against a team who everyone says are not in good form. "Hopefully, Plymouth will find a team in good spirits and aggressively trying to win the game.ā€

ā€œWe have to win to keep the gap between ourselves and the bottom of the play-off teams as close as possible.
ā€œBecause Plymouth is above us, thereā€™s an advantage in doing it to them.ā€

The trip to Cambridge is the 8th longest of the season at 566 miles, there and back.

A guide to Cambridge .... club website and Cambridge stats .... club website

What's On Guide.... CU club website

Saturday

Cambridge haven't played for 14 days and are refreshed and ready to go ..... Cambridgeshire Live

Around 900 away tickets have been sold.

A sneak peek at the matchday programme ....
CU club website

Steve Schumacher looks ahead to the game ... club website

Sep 25, 2010
As per what Lundan Cabbie, said last week, why is it necessary to put how many red/yellow cards, the referee has issued so far. It is total irrelevant.

Some games it is not necessary to issue cards for control and discipline, but it is not said, how many games he has NOT issued cards.

It is the players that fall foul of the laws, which lead to cards being issued.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Martyn":1afy3ptc said:
As per what Lundan Cabbie, said last week, why is it necessary to put how many red/yellow cards, the referee has issued so far. It is total irrelevant.

Some games it is not necessary to issue cards for control and discipline, but it is not said, how many games he has NOT issued cards.

Can we also have a report on the quality of the referee's subjective judgement before he blows his whistle?

Penlee

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Martyn":36dulziw said:

I find it interesting - generally a good ref issues less cards because they are fully in control (imho)

AdelaideGreen

šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ
Jan 11, 2017
Martyn":22q4zmsu said:

I disagree. For a single match the number of cards don't mean much, but over a season it can tell you how "card happy" a ref is. A good ref can control players excesses by judicious and authoratative warnings, and cards only where necessary - and hopefully single yellows rather than double. Yes, its the individual players who foul who get the cards, but the larger statistic is still valid.

Mind you, what we do with information I am not too sure.

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
I find it informative.

To say it doesn't reflect on a referee is completely ridiculous. Just look at the Premier League, the biggest two referees in terms of high profile games are probably Martin Atkinson and Mike Dean, they referee the game completely differently and statistics back that up as far back as you want to look. Atkinson will try and control a game without using cards, Dean sees it differently. I'm not to say who is right and who is wrong, but as a fan watching, i know to expect a degree of leniency with Atkinson, where as Dean will happily show 4-5 yellow cards in the first half if he feels it warrants it.

I aslo want to know if someone like Charlie Brakspear is in charge so i can take my blood pressure pills before i go (71 Y and 9 R in 14 games).

Anyway back to the case in point, my first game for a while due to a desperate bout of Sciatica, i think we've only got a point from my 4 visits there, so hoping for a change of luck.

Sep 25, 2010
Penlee":2j4ug15k said:
Martyn":2j4ug15k said:

I find it interesting - generally a good ref issues less cards because they are fully in control (imho)

That is totally inaccurate

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I always like to take a peek at the opposition fans' forum for forthcoming matches on the basis of 'how the other half lives' so, as usual, I followed the very useful posted link. Instead of immediately entering the forum page like all the others I have viewed, the Cambridge United forum required me to 'login' or 'register' before being allowed access. 'Not used to this' I thought, but 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. I was then asked to enter my e-mail address (fair enough) followed by my full name, date of birth, gender (?!) and a very specific password configuration. All that seemed to be missing on the required information was my inside leg measurement, a sample of DNA, my religion and details of my political affiliation.

I do appreciate that certain websites, such as Government departments, will require a considerable amount of information for specific safeguarding measures but Cambridge-flipping-United Fans' Forum? 'Aving a laugh springs to mind. I can only imagine that the pickiness of entry qualifications to their nearby elitist University is rubbing off on the local football followers. I wonder what the Oxford United fans' forum is like? :lol:

Oct 14, 2015
Off to this one but normally drive the hour journey but a couple weeks before Christmas will mean absolute grid lock around Cambridge with traffic as itā€™s bad enough on a normal Saturday. Therefore train best option although 25-30 min walk each way.......

May 8, 2011
Welwyn Pilgrim":1u81okzl said:
Off to this one but normally drive the hour journey but a couple weeks before Christmas will mean absolute grid lock around Cambridge with traffic as itā€™s bad enough on a normal Saturday. Therefore train best option although 25-30 min walk each way.......

There is a bus from the station that goes to the ground, the Citi 3 service. Just add Plusbus to your train ticket.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mark58":n2hydi4h said:
I always like to take a peek at the opposition fans' forum for forthcoming matches on the basis of 'how the other half lives' so, as usual, I followed the very useful posted link. Instead of immediately entering the forum page like all the others I have viewed, the Cambridge United forum required me to 'login' or 'register' before being allowed access. 'Not used to this' I thought, but 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. I was then asked to enter my e-mail address (fair enough) followed by my full name, date of birth, gender (?!) and a very specific password configuration. All that seemed to be missing on the required information was my inside leg measurement, a sample of DNA, my religion and details of my political affiliation.

I do appreciate that certain websites, such as Government departments, will require a considerable amount of information for specific safeguarding measures but Cambridge-flipping-United Fans' Forum? 'Aving a laugh springs to mind. I can only imagine that the pickiness of entry qualifications to their nearby elitist University is rubbing off on the local football followers. I wonder what the Oxford United fans' forum is like? :lol:

I once thought this was the way to go as you can control the people that come on and therefore allows you to filter the trolls and the like.

However, as you (and I) have proved, it simply stops people viewing your website doesn't it?

I'm not going to this one, it's an awful long trip and it's a ground I don't warm to. It certainly has a FGR feeling to it. I felt like asking 'why are this lot of the football league' when I went there on the last few occasions. I know I'm a football snob but I can't help it.

May 8, 2011
IJN":b3oc7jxc said:
Mark58":b3oc7jxc said:

I once thought this was the way to go as you can control the people that come on and therefore allows you to filter the trolls and the like.

However, as you (and I) have proved, it simply stops people viewing your website doesn't it?

I'm not going to this one, it's an awful long trip and it's a ground I don't warm to. It certainly has a FGR feeling to it. I felt like asking 'why are this lot of the football league' when I went there on the last few occasions. I know I'm a football snob but I can't help it.

The away end is one of the better ones in the league, it is a bit like Dagenham in that they give the away fans the best part of the stadium.

Oct 14, 2015
HC Green":amnpdf7j said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":amnpdf7j said:

There is a bus from the station that goes to the ground, the Citi 3 service. Just add Plusbus to your train ticket.

Good call thanks ..

Welwyn Pilgrim":3vtcpnjb said:

I'm driving down from Norwich with my lad, have previously used the P&R on Newmarket Road without too many problems, will do same Saturday all being well :)

There is a P&R on Newmarket Road, which should be sign posted from the A14, approx 15 minute walk to the ground. B&Q also have an unregulated car park, 5 mins walk from the ground. Also plenty of parking at the large shopping center car park, 5 mins further into town from B&Q. WORD OF WARNING, donā€™t be tempted to use the bus lanes unless you are authorised to do so, Cambridge City Council are making a fortune from infringements, I speak from bitter experience, it cost me Ā£65.