RIP Target Travel? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP Target Travel?

Jan 2, 2019
Just read this from Plympton Podcast. Doesn't make for good reading especially the part that they didn't maintain the fleet because they bought Argyle a new team bus.

TARGET TRAVEL FACES CLOSURE AFTER DAMNING FINDINGS BY INDUSTRY REGULATOR
Target Travel faces being closed down and its directors could be banned from being involved in managing transport undertakings for up to three years after the outcome of a public inquiry into the firm.
In a written decision running to 13 pages made available to the media today Traffic Commissioner Kevin Rooney found that the firm had failed to properly maintain some of its vehicles, had treated disabled people with contempt and had inappropriately used a pot of money to buy new buses including putting down a sizeable deposit for a new Argyle team coach at the expense of properly maintaining other vehicles in its fleet.
The Commissioner concluded that the firm was no longer of sufficient financial standing to continue in operation and ruled that the firm and its two directors were no longer of good repute. The Commissioner has revoked the firm’s operating licence from 16th February 2020, although he has indicated that if local authorities who have school contracts with the firm need more time to find alternative suppliers an ongoing Target Travel service with restrictions might be allowed until 30th March 2020.
Concurrent disciplinary cases against a past and current transport manager at the firm were dismissed with it being ruled that their good reputations remain intact and that one of them had not been properly supported by the firm when he was in the role.
The public enquiry was called after complaints raised by Devon County Council that Target Travel were frequently using buses on public transport routes which did not comply with the stipulations of the Disability Discrimination Act. Old buses with stepped access were being used making them inaccessible for disabled people.
The Council also reported the firm for using a vehicle on a school run which was not displaying an Operator’s Licence.
The public enquiry also heard that one of Target Travel’s vehicles was discovered to have multiple defects when inspected after a collision on the B3257 on 15th July 2019. Although the defects had not caused the collision and the driver did not appear to be culpable for the collision, it was nonetheless a cause for concern that so many defects, some of them potentially serious, were found.
The vehicle examiner found a number of pre-existing faults that had been present before the collision. These were-
1. Power steering oil leak and power steering oil reservoir level below minimum,
2 nearside axle 2 shock absorber body heavily corroded,
3 brake air reservoirs had moderate surface corrosion and there was excessive oil discharge from the air drier,
4 nearside axle 1 tyre worn to close to legal limit, offside axle 2 outer tyre had damage to the tread area exposing the cords, nearside axle 2 inner and outer tyres worn beyond the legal limit,
5 exhaust tailpipe heavily contaminated by grease/oil constituting a fire risk.
The Commissioner ruled it was “inexcusable” to use a vehicle with defective tyres. He also ruled that Target Travel showed “a clear contempt for those passengers who have mobility issues” by running some vehicles on Devon routes which did not have proper boarding access for disabled people.
The Commissioner also criticised the decision to use funds, which should have been kept back to show good financial standing, for the purchase of eight new vehicles including a large deposit on a new Argyle team coach.
The Traffic Commissioner ruled that Target Travel’s Managing Director Robert Risk “chose to use the money identified as financial standing to buy no fewer than eight vehicles including putting a large deposit on an expensive football team coach. That shows a recklessness which appears to have contributed to inaccessible vehicles being used on registered bus services and to vehicles being operated with bald tyres. With full knowledge of the financial standing requirement, Mr Risk chose to be non-compliant almost immediately and has been non-compliant ever since.”
The Commissioner concluded “I ask myself whether or not this is an operator I can trust to be compliant in the future. The behaviour in relation to financial standing is enough on its own to answer that in the negative and such a conclusion is supported by the attitude to DDA compliance. In considering whether it is so bad that it ought to be put out of business, I cannot ignore the condition of the bus in service, MX09AOE. Whilst the defects did not contribute to the crash, they were dangerous and could well have done so in different circumstances. The operator and both its constituent directors have forfeit their good repute. This is a case where it appears to me that the company and its constituent directors require a period of reflection away from the industry.
“I say that because of the matters I have identified above. The Senior Traffic Commissioners Statutory Document would suggest that a period of 1 – 3 years is appropriate. I did not hear submissions on the effect of disqualification on the operator and I invite them now. I will defer my decision on disqualification until 17 January 2020 to allow submissions to be made.”

Oct 31, 2015
Have to say they have tried to coin a certain market but boy some of their vehicles were ropey.

No excuse when carrying the most precious cargo

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
But, apart from that .. no issues, right?

Seriously, this is worrying. What were they thinking?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Brussels Bureaucrat":33t7nny6 said:
I wonder what will happen to the matchday services to HP.

No licence = no buses running. Including the big shiny one Argyle travel in!

Unless someone steps in to take over then Argyle may be looking for a new team bus (at least temporarily)

Midsomer Green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2015
Midsomer Norton, Naperville Chicago
This is indeed a very serious situation for Target to find themselves in.

Below is an extract from the Governments Notices and Proceedings published yesterday by the Office of the Traffic Commissioner West of England. This shows that the most serious punishment that could be handed out has been - Revoking of Operators Licence.

Public Inquiry (80571)
held at Launceston Guildhall,
on 19 November 2019 commenced at 14:00
(Previous Publication:(2723))

PH2015480 SN 
DEALTOP (PLYMOUTH) LIMITED

Director(s): ROBERT JOHN RISK, LEE ROBERT RISK 

UNIT DC, KINGSLEY CLOSE, LEE MILL, IVYBRIDGE, PL21 9GD
S17 - Licence revoked with effect from 16 February 2020

Mr Kevin Rooney is a very reasonable Traffic Commissioner and must have been very concerned with the evidence presented before him at the Public Inquiry (PI). Rarely does he revoke Operators Licences, his normal punishment is towards individual Transport Managers within a business rather than revoking a licence.

Should Target manage to secure a more lenient punishment on the 17th January, one thing that is for sure is that they will need to do an awful lot of remedial work within their business to make it safe and proper.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A questioner at the recent Fans’ Forum raised concern about Target buses often breaking down on away trips.
Andrew Parkinson seemed unaware of this and undertook to investigate.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
None of this is a shock, corner cutting to harvest profit...the clue is in the owner's name.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Argylegames":3w57ahmh said:
Unless someone steps in to take over then Argyle may be looking for a new team bus (at least temporarily)
So Argyle may be looking to replace their coach? Bit harsh on Lowe, isn't it?

Jul 28, 2017
L G":1afmyuzm said:
Get Roselyn Coaches on the phone :cool:

Roselyn have coaches permanently based at Milehouse, they have the vehicles to cover Target Travel but unsure if they have the staff.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I heard a rumour this week that Dartline are stepping in. Not from the club obviously, but a very good source who had told me of the impending problem.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Devon General":2wpit30f said:
L G":2wpit30f said:
Get Roselyn Coaches on the phone :cool:

Roselyn have coaches permanently based at Milehouse, they have the vehicles to cover Target Travel but unsure if they have the staff.

There will be a few staff looking for jobs soon. (Poor beggars)