Back to the Lyndhurst | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Back to the Lyndhurst

Jan 6, 2004
As a previous grandstand occupant I have spent the last two games in the upper tier. I had intended to stay there as I like the view and have friends that sit there. Unfortunately the legroom makes this untenable and I will be back in the Lyndhurst for the next game. I just wondered how many others have made the same decision?

Sep 29, 2013
plymouth
Green_Flash":1am6eu0w said:
As a previous grandstand occupant I have spent the last two games in the upper tier. I had intended to stay there as I like the view and have friends that sit there. Unfortunately the legroom makes this untenable and I will be back in the Lyndhurst for the next game. I just wondered how many others have made the same decision?

Same for me but going back to the Demport end

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Stay in the Lyndy? Usual seats, used to 'em. Good view apart from ***** leaving early!

Upper Mayflower Grandstand? Probably a great view but seat problem?

Lower Mayflower? Good view. Close to action? Seats ok?

So: Lower Mayflower it is!! :scarf:
(Looks out of window, Storm Brendan has got it's fingernails in the window frame, prising away, trying to break in! :shock: )

Errrmm: Maybe stay put in the Lyndy!? :scarf:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Green_Flash":19l7kewm said:

At 6ft 2in tall,I agree there is not a huge amount of leg room, but is it any less than that offered prior to the redevelopment of the grandstand? I do not think so, and I can only assume that the apparent dissatisfaction currently being aired is only because the traditional grandstand users felt more comfortable in their seat in the Lyndhurst. Surely if supporters 'lived with' the grandstand seating situation before, they still can accept it does not offer 'sun-lounger comfort' now.. I fear, that to improve the position, seating will need to be lost in the grandstand, resulting in a significant loss of revenue, that the Club can ill afford.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Iā€™m definitely going to check it out over there. Is it really worse than the seats elsewhere in the ground, or were people just expecting better from a newer build? Expensive mistake for the club to have made if itā€™s going to deter a proportion of the support from using it. Iā€™m no engineer, but Iā€™m guessing it wonā€™t just be a matter of taking one or two rows out.

stewthenoo

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Quintrell_Green":39blv77s said:
Green_Flash":39blv77s said:

At 6ft 2in tall,I agree there is not a huge amount of leg room, but is it any less than that offered prior to the redevelopment of the grandstand? I do not think so, and I can only assume that the apparent dissatisfaction currently being aired is only because the traditional grandstand users felt more comfortable in their seat in the Lyndhurst. Surely if supporters 'lived with' the grandstand seating situation before, they still can accept it does not offer 'sun-lounger comfort' now.. I fear, that to improve the position, seating will need to be lost in the grandstand, resulting in a significant loss of revenue, that the Club can ill afford.

QG, I'm afraid there is a difference, though. The introduction of plastic seat backs with a slight curve and backward rake as opposed to straight wooden backed seats with less rake means that there is less legroom. With someone sitting in front and leaning back into the seat, this obviously reduces the legroom even more. Sitting legs open astride the seat in front is only achievable if there are no other fans sitting either side.

Bryan Tregunna

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Sep 22, 2003
Devongreenowl":kb1o5mb8 said:
Iā€™m definitely going to check it out over there. Is it really worse than the seats elsewhere in the ground, or were people just expecting better from a newer build? Expensive mistake for the club to have made if itā€™s going to deter a proportion of the support from using it. Iā€™m no engineer, but Iā€™m guessing it wonā€™t just be a matter of taking one or two rows out.

Correct DGO. The original tiered base is used. So to give greater legroom, we would have to lose every other row. Presumably, this was either not foreseen or it was ignored. A bit of a schoolboy error, it seems.

Dec 3, 2005
Only 5ft 8in tall, so I fit in okish, until the person in front leans back in their seat, then I feel the sharp edge of the plastic seat. Many supporters near me are much taller, and struggle with the new seats. As previously said, the old wooden seat backs were straight up, the new ones have a rack/slope to the back, reducing the legroom.

The other major problem, that dosen't seem to be aired alot, is the concourse underneath, much of it has been made much narrower and at the Swindon game it was horrendous under there at half-time, supporters were being squashed down there.
Not sure what the answer is for the concourse, but something needs to be done.

At full-time one course of action would be to enforce that supporters sitting in the East side of the stand actually leave at the Barn Park end of the stand. Obviously this doesn't help at half-time though.

Jun 27, 2019
djg145":wxzsq5i7 said:
The other major problem, that dosen't seem to be aired alot, is the concourse underneath, much of it has been made much narrower and at the Swindon game it was horrendous under there at half-time, supporters were being squashed down there. Not sure what the answer is for the concourse, but something needs to be done.

Yep. This for me is a bigger issue than seat legroom (I'm 5'11" and didn't have a problem when I sat there).

However, whereas it might be possible to resolve the legroom issue, there's absolutely nothing the club can do to resolve the concourse crowding.

However, there are plenty of other places in the ground to sit so it just comes down to personal preference. I won't ever buy a ticket for the grandstand again, but others won't be so bothered.

TCM

Jun 7, 2011
it can be adapted over time,, step 1,, move the family area up there, lots of little legs,

Tynan One Nil

šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 23, 2013
Tried the Upper Tier for the Rovers game with a view to changing next season from the Devonport. At 6ft 1 I will be staying put, as legroom was not great.
More than happy to do so, just a real shame there is an issue.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I raised the legroom issue quite some time ago. Can't believe it was ignored. I'm 5ft 11, and always struggled with the old grandstand legroom, let alone the new grandstand leg room!! Saying that, people are actually getting taller as the years go on, back years ago when it was originally built the average height of a man was alot less than it is now.

Should have knocked the bleddy thing down and started again!!

:banghead:

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
The seating issue might not be too expensive to fix if they can work out a way of saving the existing seat-backs while fixing the problem. Even if they end up replacing the seat-backs, they could still save the originals for future replacements for the lower tier as I think they are the same design.

I agree that the half-time overcrowding in the concourse is the main issue of concern though for well-attended matches. Perhaps this would lessen a little if people could get in and out of their seats a bit more easily? Maybe more people are now waiting for half-time before they enter the concourse than before. Whatever the case I am sure that club is considering practical steps to alleviate the crowding in the short term.

On a positive note, exiting the grandstand now seems a lot easier and quicker from the west end. Seems like there are fewer obstacles on the way out now and the changed exit position also seems to work better.

I also think that the new roof looks great and that the view from the upper tier is better than it was before.

Aug 14, 2014
I am 5' 9" and share a Premium Area season ticket at the halfway line, directly opposite the Directors' box, at St Mary's, Southampton. I often find my knees in contact with the shoulders/upper back of the guy in front of me, and knees in contact with the guys either side of me. When either of the adjacent guys are absent I sit with my knees slightly pointing towards the empty space. The majority of spectators around me are of similar size, height and in the plus 50 age group, the Premium Area is sold out to season ticket holders. There is a former second row/number 8 nearby who does have legroom problems but neither this nor the dire home record this season is enough to stop him going.
I have not sat in Argyle's modernised Upper Mayflower but similar legroom problems exist in many Stadiums. St Mary's, Southampton, completed in 2001, is totally seated with the same specifications to all sections of the ground and has regularly been 90/100% full over the years. Success will fill the Mayflower (and Home Park), fortunately at present there appears to be choices of seating areas with greater legroom.

Jan 6, 2004
Southampton Hake":2nek7ros said:
I am 5' 9" and share a Premium Area season ticket at the halfway line, directly opposite the Directors' box, at St Mary's, Southampton. I often find my knees in contact with the shoulders/upper back of the guy in front of me, and knees in contact with the guys either side of me. When either of the adjacent guys are absent I sit with my knees slightly pointing towards the empty space. The majority of spectators around me are of similar size, height and in the plus 50 age group, the Premium Area is sold out to season ticket holders. There is a former second row/number 8 nearby who does have legroom problems but neither this nor the dire home record this season is enough to stop him going.
I have not sat in Argyle's modernised Upper Mayflower but similar legroom problems exist in many Stadiums. St Mary's, Southampton, completed in 2001, is totally seated with the same specifications to all sections of the ground and has regularly been 90/100% full over the years. Success will fill the Mayflower (and Home Park), fortunately at present there appears to be choices of seating areas with greater legroom.

I have been to Southampton, leg room not great but typical for a modern stadium built on the cheap - much like the horseshoe at Home Park. The leg room in the upper Grandstand is worse - the result of putting modern seating on steps designed for seats that take up less room at a time when the average height was a couple of inches shorter anyway, The only other stadium I have been to with such restrictive leg room is Ashton Gate in its refurbished stand - presumably for the same reasons.