'One of our own' | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

'One of our own'

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
There’s a lot of excitement about Luke Jephcott coming through the ranks and being ‘one of our own’ - and quite rightly so. It did set me thinking about home-grown players who have made it at Argyle, however, and a lot came to mind. Strangely enough, not so many of them fell into the category of striker/goal scorer. I’m sure there must be others but the only ones I could immediately think of (with varying degrees of success, of course) were Mike Trebilcock, Mike Bickle, Derek Rickard, Mike Trusson and George Foster.

Trebilcock was just before my time but Bickle was my hero. When he moved on I was very taken with Rickard and after watching the Scunthorpe and Carlisle matches it struck me just how much Jephcott reminds me of him in his current position. Both of them had/have that instinct for being in the right place at the right time as well as a great work ethic and a simple but effective link-up technique.

Anyway, I’m sure I must have missed out some more home-grown goal scorers - any suggestions? :scarf:

Jun 27, 2019
Trigger was eased in gradually, but when he was finally given a chance in 93-94 he scored nine goals in 16. He was never really that prolific again!

Darren Bastow was another goal-scoring teenage product, but he was probably more famous for being able to play football despite not possessing an actual brain.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
WoodsyGreen":17c2mlux said:
Trigger was eased in gradually, but when he was finally given a chance in 93-94 he scored nine goals in 16. He was never really that prolific again!

Darren Bastow was another goal-scoring teenage product, but he was probably more famous for being able to play football despite not possessing an actual brain.

Ahhh Bastow, midfield player with the world at his feet, but preferred to hang around supermarkets in Torquay with his mates getting money for trolleys. What a waste!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
loyal1970":1nnfs1qe said:
born in Aberystwyth how is he one of our own.
Why not? I don’t recall Argyle claiming Trevor Francis as ‘one of our own’.
Jephcott has come through our Academy.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I TOLD you I must have missed some! How on earth could I have skipped Steve Davey and Trigger?! I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room... :doh:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark58":352easxl said:
There’s a lot of excitement about Luke Jephcott coming through the ranks and being ‘one of our own’ - and quite rightly so. It did set me thinking about home-grown players who have made it at Argyle, however, and a lot came to mind. Strangely enough, not so many of them fell into the category of striker/goal scorer. I’m sure there must be others but the only ones I could immediately think of (with varying degrees of success, of course) were Mike Trebilcock, Mike Bickle, Derek Rickard, Mike Trusson and George Foster.

Trebilcock was just before my time but Bickle was my hero. When he moved on I was very taken with Rickard and after watching the Scunthorpe and Carlisle matches it struck me just how much Jephcott reminds me of him in his current position. Both of them had/have that instinct for being in the right place at the right time as well as a great work ethic and a simple but effective link-up technique.

Anyway, I’m sure I must have missed out some more home-grown goal scorers - any suggestions? :scarf:

Did you have to mention Trebilcock? Bad early memories/flashbacks :sigh: