Chiefs at Home Park? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Chiefs at Home Park?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
At £50.00 a ticket you can see why Exeter Chiefs want the extra 5000-plus seats that HP would provide.

Don’t know what Argyle’s cut would be of gate receipts in excess of £500,000 but it should be a nice little earner.

We need to see the Grandstand investment bringing in additional revenue and this would be an obvious opportunity, let’s hope they get through to the next round as well.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
From another thread

"Argylegames wrote:
marchwoodgreen wrote: Wasn’t there talk about the Cornish Pirates playing there home games at Home Park a few years back

Not forgetting Albion"

Home Park was Albion's home ground before it was Argyle's (for 1 season).

Seriously, rugby can really rip up a pitch - particularly a wet one. In Australia, where Rugby League have shared stadiums with "soccer" clubs (NSW and Qld) , the playing surface is usually very average after a wet rugby game.

So, for me - no - not during the season. They could play at Bristol instead?

A professional groundsman, who used to work for us says the pitch is designed for rugby....as well as football. The old pitch no, this one yes. I say bring it on. Well done if we can arrange such a deal ££

Feb 23, 2008
demportdave":3iykxyu8 said:
At £50.00 a ticket you can see why Exeter Chiefs want the extra 5000-plus seats that HP would provide.

Don’t know what Argyle’s cut would be of gate receipts in excess of £500,000 but it should be a nice little earner.

We need to see the Grandstand investment bringing in additional revenue and this would be an obvious opportunity, let’s hope they get through to the next round as well.

If the chiefs sold out the extra 7k that Home Park can accommodate over Sandy Park and paid us in excess of 500k they'd be losing money?

It's more than likely a condition of the fixture going ahead than a financial decision, either that or the 500k is miles off target?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
chunkymonkey78":2bwzsu82 said:
demportdave":2bwzsu82 said:

If the chiefs sold out the extra 7k that Home Park can accommodate over Sandy Park and paid us in excess of 500k they'd be losing money?

It's more than likely a condition of the fixture going ahead than a financial decision, either that or the 500k is miles off target?
Read my post again, I never said we could get in excess of £500,000, I merely wondered what our cut would be. Perhaps 10%?

Exeter Chiefs would obviously keep the Lion’s share of the gate receipts.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not really a perfect example though is it?

If it ripped up the pitch it could easily ruin our season.

That wouldn’t make economical sense in anyone’s book.

Egg chasing is not what Home Park is for.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
When the infamous "new pitch" was laid shortly before admin, wasn't provision made for rugby goalposts to be easily installed if needed? In that case they must have had confidence that the surface would withstand the rigours of rugby without suffering any ill effects. Mind you, it has been dug up and resurfaced a couple of times since then, so whether the same standard applies to the current pitch, I don't know.
Perhaps our ground staff would be the best persons to decide?
If up to it, I see no reason why the Chiefs shouldn't play their big match here.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Of course it’s up to the experts.

It still doesn’t stop us fans having out tuppence worth though.

As for the pitch, what was there during admin is a bit like Trigger’s broom I’d imagine.

Altarnun Green

✅ Evergreen
Nov 27, 2005
This all came about because Chiefs stadium is too small to play a home Champions cup Q/F. However, just before Christmas, they were given dispensation that should they get the home draw, then they will be allowed to play at home. I suspect the feelers were put out before the authorities changed their goal posts. However, if they qualify and get a home S/F, then perhaps they would have to play that game elsewhere but that's a big if.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Altarnun_Green":1oczobns said:
This all came about because Chiefs stadium is too small to play a home Champions cup Q/F. However, just before Christmas, they were given dispensation that should they get the home draw, then they will be allowed to play at home. I suspect the feelers were put out before the authorities changed their goal posts. However, if they qualify and get a home S/F, then perhaps they would have to play that game elsewhere but that's a big if.

What's the point of a rule saying you must have a certain capacity / number of seats then when the rule becomes relevant give a dispensation.