New Plymouth Airport? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

New Plymouth Airport?

Apr 28, 2019
In my opinion, the Club's growing upward momentum will take us, inevitably, after a few seasons, to the Championship.

Last time we were in the Championship, the club used Air Southwest for a handful of away matches.

This will give Plymouth, as a city, a significant boost in status as well as bringing an economic boost to the area.

In order to attract the players then needed to join us, to sustain our new status and bring visiting fans to the city, we will need an airport.

I think we're at an ideal moment, politically, with the new government looking to re-balance transport infrastructure investment away from London, to put forward a proposal.

It's not easy, land being at a premium in the city, and bearing in mind the limitations of the existing airport.

My idea is to re-develop, commercially, the air connection from the former RAF Mountbatten.

During WW1 and particularly WW2, Mountbatten was the base for flying boats, landing and taking off at Mountbatten. The Sunderland flying boat was stationed there during WW2.

Modern flying boats have hydro foils and wheels, allowing take off and landing from water or land, so the list of potential destinations would be vast.

Because the 'airstrip' already exists, the inward investment would be more limited, and could be off set by allowing planning permission for housing at the present airport.

In my opinion, this would pass an environment impact assessment, as new construction is minimal.

For these reasons also the cost/benefit analysys would be a large + for the city.

At the moment, just wanting to judge sentiment on this, from a potential travellers perspective.

What do you think?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
There’s no doubt in my mind that a city the size of Plymouth needs an airport..

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
As much as we'd love to have the airport back (everyone except those who moved in next to the airport then complained of the noise...) it just won't happen with Exeter down the road.

Given most of the "London" airports (City exclusive) are about the same time out of London that Exeter is to Plymouth there's no argument.

Add to that the current state of affairs of the only feasible airline to use the "new" airport - Flybe - regional airports are looking in danger of being closed rather than new ones being opened.

I find the idea of the flying boats quite funny, I cannot see it happening at all though, I'd imagine they're not overly aerodynamic and therefore not cheap to fly when there's a nearby alternative available (Exeter).

I just can't see it happen, not without some massive shakeup to airtravel, Plymouth should be pushing for a heli-port or something similar to attract businesses down as at least this would be possible with the space available.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We’re doomed because we’re bang on the middle of 2 airports. Newquay and exeter.

As long as that remains we won’t get one

Do flying boats operate commercially in the UK? Is that what you mean?

Have to check with the harbour master if so!

Please join fly plymouth, the business plan is already to go. Just a large stumbling block, the owners ! Plymouth will never be an international airport, but a hub / private aircraft for business etc is a must.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Exeter Airport is Kees than an hour from Plymouth. When I lived in London I used to have to allow two hours to get to the airport. What we are lacking in Plymouth is not our own airport but better transport limks to both Exeter and Newquay.

Aug 17, 2005
Whilst I would like to see an airport I do think that a heliport linking the city to airports would stand more of a chance of success. Say Bristol, Exeter, London airports and maybe a couple up North. If they also operate on a private hire scale as well the teams from up the line say liverpool area could be bought down by helicopter direct to the plymouth heliport

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
signalspast":2tl0nfsr said:
Whilst I would like to see an airport I do think that a heliport linking the city to airports would stand more of a chance of success. Say Bristol, Exeter, London airports and maybe a couple up North. If they also operate on a private hire scale as well the teams from up the line say liverpool area could be bought down by helicopter direct to the plymouth heliport

Yes, some aviation link direct to Newquay/Exeter might work but you'd need to be quick on and off as any delays would start cutting back to the same time it takes to drive there.
Flying time Plymouth to Newquay/Exeter anyone? :think:
I'd love to take a seaplane to Exeter, Exeter to Gatwick, Gatwick to Malé, Maldivian Airways seaplane (smaller than the Otter!) to Vilamendoo!! Lovely!! :thumbs:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, I’d concentrate on two things.

1) invest heavily in Exeter airport to make it truly international (flights to America etc) and possibly rename it Devon Airport or Exeter Plymouth Airport.

2) invest in transport links from Plymouth city centre to Exeter airport, at the very least an hourly shuttle bus.

Seems more realistic to do that instead of building a whole new one in Plymouth.

signalspast":1tok0s10 said:

This is in the pipeline / as well as operating tourist flights around the waterfront

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Richard Allan":2plvbv0a said:
signalspast":2plvbv0a said:

This is in the pipeline / as well as operating tourist flights around the waterfront

Could google but I thought I might 'pasooooogleti' it. How many passengers and the range of a 'modern' helicopter? (I realise there will be 'big-medium-small' options within this but, commercially, what might work?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Extending the M5 down to Plymouth is more logical

Aug 5, 2015
A city of our size should have an airport and it’s a condemnation of our councillors and MPs over the years that we don’t have one.
However I think that boat has sailed now. Regional airlines are clearly struggling and everyone is now more climate change savvy. As Flybe are withdrawing the Newquay-Heathrow link the connectivity argument is also a dead duck. I’m afraid we’ll just have to grin and bear it that them up the road have it totally right and we have it totally wrong!