Ifollow Revenue | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ifollow Revenue

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
If any one follows Andy Hold (Accrington owner) on Twitter he has just received his ifollow revenue statement for the first half of the season.

They received just £2556, less £450 costs, making profit of £2116.

One of his gripes with ifollow as it is not a shared income, but each club receive there own revenue for those who stream through Argyle Ifollow.

Now i know fan base will play a massive part of how much income each club receives, and i know we have invested in a better quality of coverage, but it would be interesting to know if it is worth it for us and if our ifollow income is significantly better?

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
His comment about "shared income" is ridiculous. Does he think all gate receipts should be shared between all clubs? The only thing that would, perhaps, make sense is that the home club gets the iFollow revenue from both home and away fans (or perhaps that's what he means).
It would be very interesting to know how much Argyle get from this.

Jan 2, 2019
I’ve streamed a few ifellow Championship games on IPTV and the quality ranges from shocking to okay. Glad I’ve not paid for them it’s only for the desperate

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
warney":zd7xfuo5 said:
His comment about "shared income" is ridiculous. Does he think all gate receipts should be shared between all clubs? The only thing that would, perhaps, make sense is that the home club gets the iFollow revenue from both home and away fans (or perhaps that's what he means).

I believe (and having followed Andy for a while I'm sure he confirmed) the revenue goes to the away side.

Therefore there's almost an incentive for the away team to promote the ifollow service during midweek games.

I remember him having a spat with Sunderland over something similar (Sunderland arguing it's fair that they keep the revenue as it's their fans).

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Willis88":1wycacou said:
warney":1wycacou said:

I believe (and having followed Andy for a while I'm sure he confirmed) the revenue goes to the away side.

Therefore there's almost an incentive for the away team to promote the ifollow service during midweek games.

I remember him having a spat with Sunderland over something similar (Sunderland arguing it's fair that they keep the revenue as it's their fans).

Andy's tweet for context https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 31360?s=19

"The issue is simple. Tv income is split equally between clubs. All clubs in each division get exactly the same as their peers.

With ifollow the opposite is true.

Each club keeps its own ifollow income regardless of wether the match is home or away. (Less 20% that goes to.."

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Willis88":3l5poaob said:
Willis88":3l5poaob said:
warney":3l5poaob said:

Andy's tweet for context https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 31360?s=19

"The issue is simple. Tv income is split equally between clubs. All clubs in each division get exactly the same as their peers.

With ifollow the opposite is true.

Each club keeps its own ifollow income regardless of wether the match is home or away. (Less 20% that goes to.."

FWIW I think it’s only fair to keep the ifollow monies in the home of the subscription. After all, we as a club give them plenty of revenue with the numbers we take to them but get sod all from most clubs coming to us as they all bring so few.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
In the first Fans Forum of the season when there was a presentation of the last three year's income and expenditure the question of how much the club made out of I-Follow was raised. The Club keep 80% of the receipts raised i.e. £8 out of the £10 charge. To everyone's surprise it was stated the club had benefited to the tune of £120,000 although I am not sure over what timescale. Either way it is a significant sum

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Significantly more than Accrington any way. Given the investment in to four tv angles and improved coverage Argyle must definitely consider it a market that is worth investing in.

On a similar note, if this boring stuff interests you follow Kieran McGuire and his Price of Football podcast. Very revealing.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would also imagine that the fact that our Chairman watches a lot of our games via iFollow also helps.

Can’t blame him either!

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Can see it from both angles. Accy wouldn't benefit like us as they don't have the supporter base that we have, but then we've worked hard to build that base and therefore deserve to be able to benefit from it.

Where I think it's unfair are the midweek or the bank holiday games where some supporters may opt not to travel and watch it instead. That punishes the team hosting if they were hoping for a sizable away support.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Willis88":gsb11wxu said:
Can see it from both angles. Accy wouldn't benefit like us as they don't have the supporter base that we have, but then we've worked hard to build that base and therefore deserve to be able to benefit from it.

Where I think it's unfair are the midweek or the bank holiday games where some supporters may opt not to travel and watch it instead. That punishes the team hosting if they were hoping for a sizable away support.

They can hope as much as they want but I’d rather everyone stayed home and streamed it so Argyle get the money. How many fans do we take to Accrington to swell their bank balance and how many Accrington fans reciprocate?

I work every/most Saturday’s so if I knew how to stream every game I’d at least be contributing more than I am atm.

Olaf

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🚑 Steve Hooper
Aug 2, 2016
Stuart House":3o2e20w3 said:
If any one follows Andy Hold (Accrington owner) on Twitter he has just received his ifollow revenue statement for the first half of the season.

They received just £2556, less £450 costs, making profit of £2116.

One of his gripes with ifollow as it is not a shared income, but each club receive there own revenue for those who stream through Argyle Ifollow.

Now i know fan base will play a massive part of how much income each club receives, and i know we have invested in a better quality of coverage, but it would be interesting to know if it is worth it for us and if our ifollow income is significantly better?

I'm reasonably sure that in response a question raised at the fans forum about how much revenue we got from iFollow the answer was £220,000. Given the size of the city, and the many exiles around the country and indeed around the world, that is not surprising.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Ade the green":3nawpqd4 said:
Willis88":3nawpqd4 said:

They can hope as much as they want but I’d rather everyone stayed home and streamed it so Argyle get the money. How many fans do we take to Accrington to swell their bank balance and how many Accrington fans reciprocate?

I work every/most Saturday’s so if I knew how to stream every game I’d at least be contributing more than I am atm.
The answer is ‘nil’ this season, Ade but perhaps next season, eh.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd love to give my club money for iFollow streaming on every away game. £200 for an away ticket?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
davie nine":1x9456nk said:
Ade the green":1x9456nk said:
Willis88":1x9456nk said:

The answer is ‘nil’ this season, Ade but perhaps next season, eh.

The question was rhetorical and it also stands for most efl clubs. We boost the coffers of most clubs we’ve played against at least in League 2 and most in league one. We don’t get that from others so if we can (I can) pay for away matches I’d certainly do that and knowing Argyle would benefit is an attractive incentive.