Nail Canavan or Sonny Bradley | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Nail Canavan or Sonny Bradley

Oct 22, 2018
This could be interesting. After the horror of last season I think it's amazing the transformation of what is basically the same defence. NC in particular has been outstanding, his distribution, his reading of the game and his commanding presence I would suggest makes him a better defender than Sonny. All we want is a few more goals. :thumbs:

BPA

Jan 20, 2019
If I had the choice it’d be Bradley all day for me.
Last season is a dampener on Canavans time here but he has been much better this season.

May 28, 2015
Canavan is definitely imrpoving but let's remember Bradley's season in the division above compared to canavans. Bradley all day everyday for me. As I said no doubt canavan is improving though

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I reckon the Lootown fans might select Canavan based on their defensive performances this year.

If Lootown were to stay up, which would seem unlikely, then I would expect a clear out of all their defenders in the summer.

Jun 27, 2019
If we had Sonny Bradley at the heart of our defence we'd be clear at the top of the table now and he'd probably be our top scorer.

Aug 5, 2016
Dreamgreen":14q5vot0 said:
I reckon the Lootown fans might select Canavan based on their defensive performances this year.

If Lootown were to stay up, which would seem unlikely, then I would expect a clear out of all their defenders in the summer.

Bradley wasn't too bad the season they won League One.

It is funny the amount of abuse DA got for letting Bradley go and signing Canavan (and Wootton). It was used as an example of his incompetence and poor judgement. Now there is a thread on how wonderful he is and asking if he is better than Bradley!

It does show how fickle supporting football is. And how a change of manager, a tweak in tactics, can turn a supposed awful player of one team into one of the standout players in another.

A lovely lesson never to write a player off. We are never seeing the best a player can offer every time they step onto the pitch, form, fitness and mentality all play a huge part. What are the odds Tafari Moore finds his feet at Colchester and we see plenty of him in the next 10 years?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Harsh to make a comparison at the moment – but he is playing well and so too are Wooton & Sawyer. For all our hopes and expectations we had of Lowe making us into an attacking football side – his most remarkable achievement to date has been the transformation of that God-awful defence of last season (and early this ) into a thoroughly decent looking unit with basically the same players that were so terrible under DA. I find it amazing – I was so sure we couldn’t get promoted this season until we cleared them out. Just shows what confidence, coaching and hard work can achieve.

May 8, 2011
Ave_IT":6vunngq5 said:
Harsh to make a comparison at the moment – but he is playing well and so too are Wooton & Sawyer. For all our hopes and expectations we had of Lowe making us into an attacking football side – his most remarkable achievement to date has been the transformation of that God-awful defence of last season (and early this ) into a thoroughly decent looking unit with basically the same players that were so terrible under DA. I find it amazing – I was so sure we couldn’t get promoted this season until we cleared them out. Just shows what confidence, coaching and hard work can achieve.

It does help to be fit and healthy as well, something neither he or Wootton were last year.

Jun 27, 2019
And crucially we're also a division lower. There may not be a huge gulf in quality but you definitely aren't punished for your mistakes as often.

If we go into League One next season with Wooton and Sawyer in our starting back three then we'd better be prepared to score a lot of goals to compensate.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's unfair and difficult to compare because each player is playing in a different position.
Bradley played in a flat back four and was often dragged out wide to cover a strikers run into the channel whereas Canavan operates in a back three with Wootton and Sawyer close to him and rarely leaves his 20 yard circle playing area.

Canavan is a better ball playing defender able to spot a pass while Bradley is more of a leader and a bigger threat at set-pieces.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A major difference, as HC Green alluded to, was that Canavan was in the early stages of diagnosis with diabetes and his treatment had not been resolved.
This season, I think he has only missed one game because of his condition. Hopefully, his good health and fine form will continue as he has become a major influence in our defensive improvement.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Ave_IT":auc67mh8 said:
Over the course of the season to date, our defence has done well in terms of goals conceded.

However, we are playing at a lower level this season against some pretty poor teams and we have a significantly better Keeper, which helps massively. I also think Bakinson will make a difference at both ends of the field.

On Saturday, our back 3 were repeatedly exposed, especially in the first half hour. It was only a combination of poor finishing and Palmer that prevented Mansfield from being 2 or 3 up before we got going. I appreciate the midfield should have given them a bit more protection, especially in the wide areas, but our defence did look vulnerable against a fast and fluent front 3.

Canavan is fairly steady and consistent but Wooton is still an accident waiting to happen and his distribution is often poor. Sawyer would be worth keeping as a squad player next season but would not be a regular starter at League 1 level.

Lowe will persevere with these players this season and he also has Aimson and Josh Grant, so we are well covered defensively for League 2. But if we do go up, we will need to strengthen or we will concede too many goals.

We will also need a new Keeper but I think Lowe sees Cooper as our starting Keeper come August.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I’m just really happy to see Canavan showing up this season. Smile on his face. Playing good stuff. There were moments last year (first half, Burton away, I recall) when our defence was so wafer thin it was laughable and embarrassing in equal measure. Improvement is clear, even when a division down.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Bradley, by quite a margin for me. Not sure Canavan is better in any aspect of the game, bar long passing. Good player at this level, competent for League One, but Bradley the superior player. We’d have stayed up with Bradley last season. Funnily enough, they’d probably be a good pairing.