Brief Synopsis!!! (Crawley)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) First start for Hardie in place of Jephcott who dropped to the bench. No Mayor in the 18 with Cleal taking his place. Lolos back on the bench too in place of the absent Telford.

2) Argyle were unplayable in the first 15 but just couldn't find the killer ball. Moore and Hardie made good runs off the ball but Edwards and Bakinson either didnt see them or didnt use them preferring to go for width through Cooper.

3) The next 20 Crawley cut out Cooper and it seemed like we had transplanted the Adam's defence from last year and said keep it short - we were awful. Palmer and Grant weren't much better. We conceded a soft goal and could have let in more.

4) The last 10, Sarcevic dragged us back into the game. Clever bit of skill did the defence and the Crawley player hacked him down. Sarcevic got up and thumped the ball down the middle as the goalie went to block his normal shot.

5) Unfortunately it was the second 20 Argyle that turned up for the first 15 of the second half and it took a Canavan goal line clearance to maintain parity. Wootton looked to have lost confidence and he and Grant constantly gave the ball away although Grant did put in a number of good blocks.

6) Jephcott replaced Edwards with Moore dropping wide. We weren't firing as normal. Bakinson drove a couple of shots and Cooper ballooned one over and we lost a couple of goal mouth scrambled. Palmer had to be on his toes at the other end and saved one at feet. Grant also made a couple of saving tackles.

7) Into the last 10 and Crawley had a golden chance as Palmer was drawn off his line. Them immediately Hardie was put in but failed to finish. Blushes saved moments later as Jephcott put away his first real chance.

8 ) Double substitution with Joel Grant and Conor Grant replacing Barkinson and Hardie. There was still time for Crawley and they threw on attacking subs. 7 minutes of injury time. Crawley won a free-kick on the edge of the area. The header was nodded back and there was the equaliser.

9) Another game when we weren't quite at our best with a rare poor performance from Edwards and Cooper also not at his best. Sarcevic and Josh Grant, despite his profligacy, were the picks for me. A game we should have put away without too great effort.

Alex Palmer - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Niall Canavan - 7
Scott Wootton - 5
Joe Edwards - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Josh Grant - 8
Tyreeq Bakinson - 6
George Cooper - 6
Byron Moore - 7
Ryan Hardie - 7

Mike Cooper - unused
Adam Randell - unused
Jarvis Cleal - unused
Conor Grant - 5
Joel Grant - 5
Klaidi Lolos - unused
Luke Jephcott - 6

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
‪We needed Mayor to carry the ball forward tonight, we missed that link, but it’s fine because according to some of our fans he isn’t that important.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":pc2jl6c3 said:
‪We needed Mayor to carry the ball forward tonight, we missed that link, but it’s fine because according to some of our fans he isn’t that important.

Well said Cobi.
Numpties probably still blaming Mayor for tonights performance though and wetting themselves about George 'volley into the stand, cant beat the first defender with a cross' Cooper
Nice Love Island hairdo though

Jersey Green

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 7, 2019
Agreed. Crying out for Danny Mayor tonight. Adds such a different dimension.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Moore and Sarcevic very good. Mayor missed, Wootton a mare. Expectant crowd not particularly forgiving of an overall poor performance- time for calm heads all round.

Mar 14, 2009
We aren't a bad side.

Good to watch.

Yet the blueprint is always the same against us. Put 3 fast forwards against our slow centre halves. Wait for the mistake and hit us on the break.

At the our current level l wonder if we can score enough to make up for the numerous chances we give the opposition. Today, after riding our luck at home last few matches it finally bit us on the backside.

Still, as lve said we are a side in transition, and you can see that with the issues we have at CB and RWB.

Mar 8, 2016
Desperately missed mayor tonight, he’s a big big player for us. Hope his injury isn’t too serious. Wootton worries the poo out of me.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Cobi Budge":3vx944cn said:

I for one certainly think Mayor is important. Bakinson for me never looks to beat a man or draw a player in.. he’s just not an attacking midfielder to me in the way Sarcevic and Mayor are with their ability to go past a player and make space for others.

We need Mayor back and quickly.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I honestly think had Mayor been fit we’d be looking at a win, we missed that link. Anyway, still in good form, still on the right track, home again on Saturday, bring it on.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I thought we missed Mayor on Saturday with the win papering over a below par performance. We were disjointed and unsettled tonight, and really missed Mayor receiving the ball inside our own half and taking us forward 30 yards in the blink of an eye.
"Injured" is the line and we will have to wait and see, but without him we look one-dimensional.
Wootton and Canavan we're back to last season's versions, Edwards was poor and Bakinson, despite a promising start, consistently made the wrong decision. Thank God for Sarcevic, Moore and the predatory instincts of Jephcott. A point, didn't deserve more, and we move on.

Palmer 6
Wootton 5
Canavan 5
Sawyer 6
Edwards 5
Josh Grant 6
Bakinson 5
Sarcevic 7
Cooper 6
Moore 7
Hardie 6

Jephcott 7
C.Grant 6
Joel Grant 6

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
MGM, your concerns about lack of pace in the back 3 was exposed tonight from the first few minutes. They targeted Gary Sawyer in particular.
They may get us by in League 2 but I think they will struggle again in League 1.
Hopefully, Aimson will get fit soon.

Jul 3, 2013
Not much to say really apart from that was one lazy performance, we are a good side with no real superstars and when you have that approach then you can't afford to have that many players putting in a average performance.

Crawley played a game that was so familiar to us under Adams when playing away from home, quick ball forward on the break and it caught us out a few times.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Just puzzled really - what is it about argyle and dropping points on Tuesday night fixtures? It’s been going on for years now - particularly at home - Saturday we’re fine - so onwards this Saturday.