Plymouth Argyle v Newport County - the build up | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Newport County - the build up

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013

Newport County
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

The Countdown to Newport

Wednesday

Referee Ollie Yates is the man in the middle for the game, it will be his second visit to Home Park this season having taken charge of Argyle's 2-1 win against Bradford City in November. So far this season he has issued 83 yellow cards and six reds in 25 games. He will be assisted by Simon Shaw and John Flynn while the fourth official is Martin Ross.

Sky Bet have placed Argyle as favourites to win at 17/20, a Newport win has odds of 3/1 and the draw is on offer at 5/2.

Newport occupy 11th place in League Two on 39 points. They have won three of their last four league games although prior to that run they were without a win in seven league games - drawing four and losing three.
Of their 12 away games the Exiles have won three, drawn three and lost six. The win at Scunthorpe United in January was the first away win since September when they beat Swindon Town 2-0.

Thursday

Newport could sign former Wales international midfielder Joe Ledley before Saturday's game. Ledley was recently with Charlton Athletic on a short-term deal and is now a free agent and has been training at Newport. Exiles manager Michael Flynn can sign Ledley after the transfer window closes on Friday but would like the former Crystal Palace player to sign in time for Saturday's game against Argyle.
Former Manchester City and Swansea City striker Wilfred Bony has also been training at Rodney Parade but has now signed for Saudi Arabian club Al-Ittihad.

Newport have some defensive injury problems for Saturday's game - centre-back Mark O'Brien is out with a knee injury and fellow defender Ryan Inniss has a calf strain.

Argyle have played Newport 35 times at Home Park, winning 25 games, drawing five and losing five. The last game in April 2017 resulted in a 6-1 win for the Greens, while Newport's last win at Home Park was in 1984.

From Ryan Lowe's pre-match press conference ...

On the road ... . Newport club website

Match preview ... Newport club website

Friday

Club video match preview ..... You Tube

Matchday Sponsors

Matchday Mascots

Newport captain Joss Labadie looks ahead to the game ....
“Plymouth are one of the favourites for the league.
“They’re a massive club with a big budget, a good manager and good players so they will be looking to go up automatically.
“We’ve proved that we can go up against them before – we beat them here – so we’ll be looking to take maximum points again and put a dent in their ambitions.”
Inside Newport County

Sammy Black's family are guests of honour at the game .... club website

Saturday

Argyle v Newport .... The Stats

Former Argyle winger Martin 'Buster' Phillips is the half-time guest.

Midfielder Antoni Sarcevic looks ahead to the game ..
“Newport are a good side; they have established themselves well in League Two. They are dangerous in their own right but I think with us being at home and the way we play, we will obviously go for the three points.”

Newport manager Michael Flynn talks about the game ....
“The last time we went to Plymouth wasn’t very exciting for Newport so let’s hope we can reverse that,” said the manager.
“We were in a relegation battle and they got promoted and we got hammered.
“It was a massive learning curve for me. In terms of what I learned as a manager that day, it was priceless.
“If you take the result out of it, as a manager and as a coaching staff, it was brilliant.

“Plymouth have gone up and come back down since then and it’s a big football club,” he said.
“I remember playing against them in the Championship, which goes to show how big they are.
“They are flying at the moment. They’re a really good team with a good manager and they’ll want to be in the top three."

Jan 2, 2019
I remember them having a very good record at Home Park in the early to mid 80s Tynan and Aldridge and co. They were a real bogey side.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Newport have a very canny manager in Michael Flynn as demonstrated by the club giving Premiership clubs tough games in the FA Cup in past seasons. I even believe he was looked upon as a possible successor to DA when Argyle's managerial position came available

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
They are a team in good form (but so are we of course) who tend to concede few. This will be a tricky game and there is perhaps added pressure after the draw last night (although really there shouldn't be).

Sep 29, 2013
Site Manager":uiyri15t said:

Newport County
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter

The Countdown to Newport

From Ryan Lowe's pre-match press conference ...

We're a definite Jekyll & Hyde kind of team and the only certainty is that Mickey D will take most of our throw ins! We won't score many goals but we are very tight at the back so will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday and what team Flynn chooses. He went quite attacking against Macclesfield but we struggled on our cabbage patch.

I'd like to see us play like we did in the second half against you at Rodney Parade. We shall see!

Looking forward to the five minute walk to the ground from my house!

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Knibbsworth":ja93xon0 said:
Got a feeling Newport will undo us. We do struggle against this type of side.
Me too. I can see a very unwelcome home defeat on the horizon today, 0-2. :shh:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Knibbs and Emerald being very upbeat this morning! Argyle should win and are due a really convincing home performance. I’m hoping Ryan Lowe was being a bit crafty saying Mayor was unlikely to play today. We need him.