League two possession football | PASOTI

League two possession football

Mar 14, 2009
How many teams try and play out from the back, like we do. Like roll it out from the CB’s to start an attack?

I’d say, not many, if any. Why? Simply we are in league two.

Yet here we sit, 4th in the league, with 3 (and l think it’s fair to use this term) centre defender “journeyman” who are trying to play possession based football.

Now some might call it naive the way we play. Yet we have a philosophy and a plan. Now that plan with the players we have find it hard to excute but god love them because they try their hardest. I mean Man City have multi million pound players and they struggle. So of course we are going to struggle.

I look at Argyle and find we don’t quite have that RWB position right yet. We don’t link up from the defence to the two centre midfielders enough. Yet despite all this we are brave and play a game style that is trying to be attack minded.

I’m sure a well organised and physical outfit will get joy against us. Especially on the counter attack. However, our team don’t sit back anymore and wait to be reactive to the opponent. They take it to the opposition. Yes, it leaves us vulnerable but at least we are set up to in a way that is trying to win the game from the start.

I write this because l read comments like we are “abysmal” or “lazy” tonight. Abysmal is losing badly at Accrington. Lazy isn’t trying to press high up the pitch to win the ball back.

It’d not perfect at all but Argyle are trying to play a way l haven’t seen many league two sides ever do. Plus they going it with players who aren’t exactly the type you ideally pick for possession football.

I’m not sure how it will end this season but very much glad of the direction we are trying to take on the pitch. I’m sure we could be more organised and direct. That might even get us more points. Yet this feels more exciting because of the different way we are going about it from the majority of league two sides.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
It certainly wasn't "abysmal" last night, or even "lazy".

For me, what it was was frustrating. Yes, I agree, playing out from the back AND playing football really is a great sight to behold but we, last night (can't speak for any other game as this was my first), always seemed to play one pass too many and, as a result, we ended up giving the ball away.

Some of the passes were either woefully short...almost "hospital" passes, or overhit but in the main, from midfield to the forwards we got it pretty much right.

"Lazy"? No, I don't believe so. There were some tired legs towards the end, Hardie in particular - I thought he was going to trip over himself with that last run of his. I think he's probably around 80% match fit? Still got some serious work to do on Harper's Park.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, as I said, frustrating but I can see what we are trying to achieve...and we are getting there.

Mar 8, 2016
Good post. The only other team I’ve seen play it out from the back like we do is Swindon. Even that was to a lesser extent. I know some of our fans are stuck in the 1970’s and want us to lump it forward to the big man but I love the way we play and can really see what Ryan Lowe and the players are trying to achieve. I do feel we are vulnerable on the counter with teams that have pace up front, our centre backs are slow. I feel we need Byron at RWB and josh Grant at RCB.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Ryan Lowe and his coaching team have repeatedly talked about 'playing through the thirds'. The key players in making the system continuously effective are primarily the the centre three of the five in midfield. Sarcevic has blossomed in such a role and so has Josh Grant when he has played the central role.

Above all, it is Danny Mayor who makes the system work to its most effective. He can take the ball on the half turn and pass players at pace before invariably delivering a key pass. This is why he is rightly subject to such attention each game as he has the ability to draw players to him and create space for others. We have rarely had a player with such an ability and he is absolutely key to our promotion push.

February will be a decisive month for our promotion credentials. The system is not going to change, Ryan Lowe has made that clear. Whilst many will want the relief of a 'hoof' up field in the face of a determined press I think some adjustments such as Moore at RWB, Grant RCB and Bakinson CM will add some pace, strength and fluidity for a difficult month ahead. Fadz back at LWB with Cooper more of an impact player may add to potency in the transition play.

However, we should remind ourselves we are still second in the form table for January and have a striker who has scored five goals in the month and with our games in hand we could be top. After, Exeter who would have thought that!

Mar 29, 2011
The only frustration I have with the way we play is the slow tempo in the final third. The way we play, commits multiple players forwards. Once we've committed these players forwards, any break down in play will always leave us susceptible to a counter attack. It is frustrating to watch us play too many passes on the edge of their box, to then lose the ball. Crawley's first goal came from that last night.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There were shouts from some fans last night for Palmer to hit it long after Crawley repeatedly pressed our centre-backs into mistakes, when he did hit the ball long we lost possession because Hardie was beaten in the air.

When we did beat the press either by Palmer clipping the ball to the wing backs or by sucking in four or five Crawley players we did actually break free and created chances.

We play a risk and reward style of football. We are always one good/poor pass or interception away from a chance for us or a chance for the opposition.
When it works it looks great, when it doesn't work it looks clumsy.

Some teams sit back, defend the final third and let us play in our own third (Stevenage) while other teams (Crawley) press us high up the pitch.

Great OP which sums up my views exactly. Most supporters under 30 will be unaware of just how dire the 4th tier was as little as 20 years ago, when the only way out of this division was maximum muscle, with the ball rarely on the ground.

Watching this team is an absolute delight, even on frustrating evenings like yesterday. The howls from supporters when our playing out from the back failed on this occasion, and that we should revert to 80s football is wrong. It simply means more training and practice to get it right, and this is what RL will do. Give Crawley credit for the way they pressed and then sprang out of defence, exactly as all Championship and Prem teams now do automatically.

We’ve a young squad which will get better, and games like yesterday will all be part of the learning process. What was undeniable was their commitment and work rate, with bodies on the line like Sawyer’s a great example to the younger players.

Feb 15, 2005
What I don’t understand is we have played this way all season and yet lots of fans were calling for the long punt up field.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Agree with most of the comments about last night where our defence was very vulnerable to some very quick Crawley attacks

The other point is that we sometimes try and walk the ball into the net like Arsenal used to rather than have a shot from the edge of the box.Loved the Jephcott goal which you could call 'old fashioned' with Moore racing down the wing putting in a great cross and Jephcott leaping to head the ball in...great goal

Feb 22, 2008
Lake District
This post is spot on. Love the brand of football we’re playing under Lowe. Long may it continue.
[/quote]
Metal_Green_Mickey":s5pqu33d said:
How many teams try and play out from the back, like we do. Like roll it out from the CB’s to start an attack?

I’d say, not many, if any. Why? Simply we are in league two.

Yet here we sit, 4th in the league, with 3 (and l think it’s fair to use this term) centre defender “journeyman” who are trying to play possession based football.

Now some might call it naive the way we play. Yet we have a philosophy and a plan. Now that plan with the players we have find it hard to excute but god love them because they try their hardest. I mean Man City have multi million pound players and they struggle. So of course we are going to struggle.

I look at Argyle and find we don’t quite have that RWB position right yet. We don’t link up from the defence to the two centre midfielders enough. Yet despite all this we are brave and play a game style that is trying to be attack minded.

I’m sure a well organised and physical outfit will get joy against us. Especially on the counter attack. However, our team don’t sit back anymore and wait to be reactive to the opponent. They take it to the opposition. Yes, it leaves us vulnerable but at least we are set up to in a way that is trying to win the game from the start.

I write this because l read comments like we are “abysmal” or “lazy” tonight. Abysmal is losing badly at Accrington. Lazy isn’t trying to press high up the pitch to win the ball back.

It’d not perfect at all but Argyle are trying to play a way l haven’t seen many league two sides ever do. Plus they going it with players who aren’t exactly the type you ideally pick for possession football.

I’m not sure how it will end this season but very much glad of the direction we are trying to take on the pitch. I’m sure we could be more organised and direct. That might even get us more points. Yet this feels more exciting because of the different way we are going about it from the majority of league two sides.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I also hope that the football we're playing now sets a blueprint for the future, Swansea-esc. The most successful and stable clubs - long term - often have a style that doesn't flip flop and remains from regime to regime. I hope Lowe is here for a long time to come, but I also hope his successor is in the same mold footballing wise. Let's make Plymouth Argyle a hub for great football and for players who want to test themselves at a tricky but attractive style of play.

May 8, 2011
The issue last night was that there doesn’t appear to be any variation so that when the players can’t play the way they’ve been coached to do they can’t seem to improvise and think of a way out of the problem
Last night Palmer was a prime example as on several occasions when he couldn’t pass out to a defender he seem to freeze as though he didn’t know what to do, the worst example being in the first half when after a period of looking for someone to pass to, he passed to Wootton who had his back to him and the pass was almost intercepted by a striker.

Jul 12, 2016
Twas Canavan but you are correct. By constantly playing out from Palmer the opposition know this and will obviously do what they can to counter it.No one is suggesting we return to hoof ball tactics but surely we can vary our play when needed?
This five passes to make one forward can be very frustrating to watch particularly near the end of the game when one failed pass can quickly set up the opposition for a counter attack.
Our strength in this type of football can also be a weakness.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Army green":6v4j7f8b said:
Good post. The only other team I’ve seen play it out from the back like we do is Swindon. Even that was to a lesser extent. I know some of our fans are stuck in the 1970’s and want us to lump it forward to the big man but I love the way we play and can really see what Ryan Lowe and the players are trying to achieve. I do feel we are vulnerable on the counter with teams that have pace up front, our centre backs are slow. I feel we need Byron at RWB and josh Grant at RCB.

I agree totally with what you say and I think you are spot on

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
PL2 3DQ":1ae5euu7 said:
There were shouts from some fans last night for Palmer to hit it long after Crawley repeatedly pressed our centre-backs into mistakes, when he did hit the ball long we lost possession because Hardie was beaten in the air.

When we did beat the press either by Palmer clipping the ball to the wing backs or by sucking in four or five Crawley players we did actually break free and created chances.

We play a risk and reward style of football. We are always one good/poor pass or interception away from a chance for us or a chance for the opposition.
When it works it looks great, when it doesn't work it looks clumsy.

Some teams sit back, defend the final third and let us play in our own third (Stevenage) while other teams (Crawley) press us high up the pitch
That’s it in a nutshell. Some days it works great and others :facepalm: ….. but I’d rather that than the functional & attritional stuff that Sheridan and often (but certainly not always) Adams served up. If I were an opposition manager I’d certainly go for the high press – we do seem to struggle with that as we apparently did last night. I do have some concern that teams will increasingly start adopting that strategy against us.