Gary Sawyer - Captain Fantastic | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Gary Sawyer - Captain Fantastic

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
After witnessing the shift put in by Gary Sawyer last night I felt I had to say something. If ever there was a player who typified sheer grit and determination in an Argyle shirt over many years it is him. It will be argued, quite reasonably, that he may not be the most technically gifted - and certainly not the quickest - of players but his dedication to the cause can never be questioned. On the subject of pace, he was absolutely roasted by their No. 10 in the opening minute and a clear break on goal was very much on the cards. Using his years of nous and incredible timing, however, he threw himself into a slide at exactly the right moment and came away with the ball.

I am sure he will be the first to be self critical at not defending the far post better for Crawley's equaliser. That may or may not have had something to do with him originally coming back onto the field after yet another 'body on the line’ block. The resulting injury involved lengthy treatment and a change into a blood-free shirt.

What I found astonishing was the referee (I thought he had a good game) seemed to be so concerned at the severity of Sawyer's injury that he clearly signalled for a stretcher. At that point I don't think many of us expected Sawyer to be able to walk, let alone eventually leave the field and come back a few minutes later in a fresh shirt! It was a complete replay of the Stevenage incident on Saturday where, again, it was expected for him to be subbed after a head injury only to recover to such an extent that he had a storming game in defence.

Every player has limitations and weaknesses (and sell-by dates!) and there have been questions on here each time Gary Sawyer's contract is renewed but I for one applaud the wholehearted service he continues to give to Argyle. I would suggest that 'Captain Fantastic' is the very least epithet that could be applied to him. :scarf:

StroudGreen

♣️ PASTA Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stroud
Totally agree and I would say Gary Sawyer is a player who is playing this season with a completely new lease of life in a different role under Ryan Lowe. One of the leading players of the season so far for me.

Oct 31, 2015
Agree with the OP.

The right man is captain and he always puts a shift in for the shirt.

He deserves a lot of credit for what he has done for us over the years. Gaz and Sarcs are the two for me that came out of last season's debacle with any credit and care this season.

RL has also made him a different player this season :scarf:

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
Gary Sawyer is one of the most under rated players in the team he always gives 100% a great crosser of the ball as well, he always has a quick look up before sending the ball into the box whenever he gets the chance to do so. A great servant for the Mighty Greens.

Jul 12, 2016
Ken Beale":1yoa1htd said:
Gary Sawyer is one of the most under rated players in the team he always gives 100% a great crosser of the ball as well, he always has a quick look up before sending the ball into the box whenever he gets the chance to do so. A great servant for the Mighty Greens.
No one can argue with your sentiments but unfortunately the opposition are exploiting his lack of pace and the space he always leaves between him and the touchline. This is not a new problem.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Oldage is right about teams exposing our centre backs’ lack of pace. In the first few minutes, Crawley’s no10, Nadeson, gave Gary Sawyer 3 yards start and caught him. Fortunately, he was able to use his experience to dispossess him.
Scott Wootton is also frequently outpaced by speedy opponents and this becomes more obvious because our wing backs are often too far advanced to help.
Hopefully, we will manage to cope with this perceived weakness as not all of our opponents have the skill and pace to expose us.
I would certainly feel more confident if McFadzean and Aimson’s return to fitness was imminent. Of the wing backs we have used, McFadzean seems to have the energy to get back and help the centre backs and I believe that both Sawyer and Mayor have missed his presence.
Josh Grant is a possible alternative although I am not confident of his aerial ability and prefer him as a defensive midfielder.

Jul 14, 2008
Definitely agree with the sentiment of the OP. But there’s no doubt in my mind that if we do go up then we would need to replace the entire back three. They were all part of the worst defence I’ve ever seen for an Argyle side, and while they’ve collectively been decent this season, I don’t see how any of them would be successful in League 1.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Gary Sawyer is made of iron.

Jun 27, 2019
Gary Sawyer has already earned his place in Argyle folklore. That doesn't change the fact that we'll need two new centre-backs in the summer, whichever division we're in.

Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't take away anything that anyone has said about Sawyer's consistency, loyalty and durability, However I think people have short memories, and that's why I struggle with "Captain Fantastic". 9 months ago Sawyer was captain of a team that gave up, rolled over on its back, and got relegated. Surely he has to be held partially responsible for that abject capitulation?

This thread also raises two "job titles" that fans like to put aside for loyal long-serving players when they reach the point of not being able to hold down a first team place. It's as if fans think such players are entitled to a "pension" of sorts whereby they eke out an extra year or two of employment despite being past it, and well-meaning though this is, I disagree with it. Someone, who openly admitted he had no idea of Sawyer's retirement plans, thought he should become a "Player/Coach", despite not knowing whether Sawyer has any coaching ambitions, or whether he might be any good at it. This is wrong. Coaching roles should go to the best available coaches, not to semi-retired model professional players,

The other one is "squad player". I believe the club should only employ senior players who are good enough to compete for a regular place in the team. If a player passes this point he shouldn't be offered a new contract. Squad Players (in other words those not capable of a regular place, but with the ability to "fill in" in emergencies) should be youngsters with the potential to improve, not those who are regressing. That's the way that youngsters should get their chance.

May 4, 2018
Before some “fans”post such disparaging remarks about a loyal servant to our club. Can we just pause a moment and remember the comments posted after Chris Barker took his life earlier this month.
Being a professional footballer their careers are in the public domain; every one of us will reach our natural retirement at some point in life. We don’t need to be heartless. :banghead:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Karen":371klhi4 said:
Before some “fans”post such disparaging remarks about a loyal servant to our club. Can we just pause a moment and remember the comments posted after Chris Barker took his life earlier this month.
Being a professional footballer their careers are in the public domain; every one of us will reach our natural retirement at some point in life. We don’t need to be heartless. :banghead:

:clap: