Hamstring Injuries | PASOTI

Hamstring Injuries

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Seems strange to feel almost happy that a player is injured, but I was pleased to read that Ryan Lowe confirmed that Danny Mayor's absence on Tuesday night was through injury and not an impending transfer to Tranmere or anywhere else. Obviously we will know for sure come 11pm tonight, but I think Ryan Lowe is as straight as they come.

What is slightly concerning is that his injury is to his hamstring, which puts him alongside Telford and Moore his ex-Bury team-mates who have suffered the same injury this season. Three different players suffering the same injury is fairly significant, but all three from the same previous club is quite a coincidence. Hopefully, Mayor will have more luck with his than Telford who has now had three absences from first-team duty already this season due to his hamstring problems. Obviously Mayor doesn’t rely on out and out pace in his game, so is less likely to get repeat injuries of the same nature.

The players play on probably the best playing surface in L2 and I assume our training pitches are up to a similar standard. Obviously, playing away they have to play on the occasional bog but what do we think about the number of hamstring injuries this season? Is it about normal or is it more of a concern compared to previous years?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I suppose it could be a training issue...most injuries are caused by dynamic/sudden contraction of the hamstring muscles e.g. sprinting. Could be a warm up issue...who knows. Quite often it's just the physiology of the individuals...some people have tighter hamstrings than others. There has been a fair bit of research on this subject...if you are interested follow this link. The research is a few years old but covers professional football: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/1/36

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
TinTin":pr9fep7f said:
My doctor pal believes it is a nutritional AND dietary problem ?

Nuff said ?

Keep the Faith :scarf: :scarf:

Yep there is a correlation...in simple terms a good diet won't do your muscles any harm and will speed recovery. The old style 70s footballer would last about 5 minutes these days.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
On Tuesday night, when Hardie ran through on goal in the second half using his pace to beat their defensive line and then visibly ran out of steam as he closed in on goal, missing a relatively simple chance, I worried he that he was a candidate for a hamstring problem. He is quick and is obviously short of full match fitness, so I think he might be better off on the bench tomorrow, otherwise he vulnerable to injury. I’m sure Lowe and his staff don’t need that pointing out to them though!

I suppose that could be it then. The Bury lads have been used to a diet of hotpot and Lancashire meat pies and are still getting used to a pastie and our local ales. Or maybe they’re all vegans like the FGR players :funny:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Devongreenowl":wq3fqmq1 said:
On Tuesday night, when Hardie ran through on goal in the second half using his pace to beat their defensive line and then visibly ran out of steam as he closed in on goal, missing a relatively simple chance, I worried he that he was a candidate for a hamstring problem. He is quick and is obviously short of full match fitness, so I think he might be better off on the bench tomorrow, otherwise he vulnerable to injury. I’m sure Lowe and his staff don’t need that pointing out to them though!

I suppose that could be it then. The Bury lads have been used to a diet of hotpot and Lancashire meat pies and are still getting used to a pastie and our local ales. Or maybe they’re all vegans like the FGR players :funny:

I may be wrong (my short term memory works when it wants to!) but wasn't Byron Moore - another ex-Bury - also out earlier in the season with a hamstring problem?

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":3mvwt5ft said:

I'm not sure he ran out of steam.It seemed to me that he was caught in two minds between shooting and chipping the goalie and unfortunately chose the latter.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark58":ms0gyylv said:
Devongreenowl":ms0gyylv said:

I may be wrong (my short term memory works when it wants to!) but wasn't Byron Moore - another ex-Bury - also out earlier in the season with a hamstring problem?

That’s what I said in my OP Mark. Telford, Mayor and Moore. Probably just coincidence but a surprising one nevertheless.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":3lwhh1da said:
Devongreenowl":3lwhh1da said:

I'm not sure he ran out of steam.It seemed to me that he was caught in two minds between shooting and chipping the goalie and unfortunately chose the latter.

He was definitely in two minds, but from where I was sat it was obviousl that his legs were going as he approached the box. It was a damn good run and I would suggest that if the same thing happened in a months time, he would be much stronger

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Old Gunner":30sgh0fr said:
. The old style 70s footballer would last about 5 minutes these days.

But then again, the "old style 70's footballer" would be around 70 years old by now. :coat:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
TinTin":3mxsb9qn said:
My doctor pal believes it is a nutritional AND dietary problem ?

Nuff said ?

Keep the Faith :scarf: :scarf:
Is your doctor pal keeping you safe in your part of China? I read this morning that the problem had now reached every province on the mainland. Apologies if this enquiry has been covered in another thread which I have not read..