Pre Match Music vs Newport County | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pre Match Music vs Newport County

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I sit in block 9 and once again the pre match "music" was far too loud and was turned up even louder prior to kickoff.

I really can't understand what Argyle are trying to achieve here. It does nothing for my "match day experience".

About two years ago I e mailed Argyle about pre-match music, with my opinion that it actually worsened the atmosphere by drowning out our Demport singing. A director (canā€™t remember who) responded with quite a lengthy e mail explaining that the pre-match music was important to the players, who would not like to see it discontinued. Surprised me.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
What DEvonport singing? They were great during the match yesterday for a change, but pre-match thereā€™s never much atmosphere. The ground only starts to fill up in the last ten minutes anyway. Canā€™t see anything wrong with the music volume. The odd actual track maybe. Itā€™s a nice change to actually be able to hear the PA system! Some people are never happy.

Aug 8, 2013
nickboyuk":3ulz59w1 said:
"Whats the piece of music they play just before the 2nd half kick off

Would that be the hideous, supercharged version of Semper ?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Why not 'proper' Semper for each half??

As for pre-match music. It was only turned off as the game actually kicked off. I find that disrespectful to the game tbh. Once coin toss has been done and ends decided, music should be off. Let the crowd 'build' a bit.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Pogleswoody":tjh7ql6s said:

As for pre-match music. It was only turned off as the game actually kicked off. I find that disrespectful to the game tbh. Once coin toss has been done and ends decided, music should be off. Let the crowd 'build' a bit.

It's a pet hate of mine, especially for the big games when the crowd should be making the atmosphere, instead we get loud music right up until the ref blows his whistle to start each half.
This is brought up time and time again in every Argyle fan survey and every year it's ignored.
There is so much good going on at the club at the moment it's a shame the pre-match atmosphere is killed by someone playing loud music right up until kick-off, imho.

The club are asking for matchday feedback by email .... matchday@pafc.co.uk

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Pogleswoody":1awzkkv3 said:

I like the music to a point but it definitely should be turned off when the teams toss the coin, imo.

Oct 15, 2017
Gary S":1gd7y642 said:
nickboyuk":1gd7y642 said:
"Whats the piece of music they play just before the 2nd half kick off

Would that be the hideous, supercharged version of Semper ?

Awful Irish jig, offensive to the ears, an insult to Argyle and the US marine corps.
The original version is stirring, but as you say is hideous.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Have to agree, the Semper on acid is rubbish. Play something else FGS. As for loud music, most grounds have it so Iā€™m afraid some of you will have to get over it. Itā€™s not that bad! Iā€™m over 60 by the way, so far from a young un. Itā€™s been going on for years and not a recent development. Used to love the Fratellis Chelsea Dagger and that was in the championship. We will be back there by 2025 at the latest! :scarf:

meetoo

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
David_Fisher":10zke3nm said:
I sit in block 9 and once again the pre match "music" was far too loud and was turned up even louder prior to kickoff.

I really can't understand what Argyle are trying to achieve here. It does nothing for my "match day experience".

Hurrah..!!! I'm glad somebody is as hacked off with this loud carp as much as my season ticket holding family and I.
This situation absolutely ruins our matchday experience week in, week out :(
In the upper grandstand east we cannot even hold a decent conversation until the ref blows the whistle for the kick off. In my opinion the lack of match atmosphere being built up leads to a damp squib of start and this is especially the case when there is a good away following to have some 'banter' with. Yes I have contacted the club for it to be raised as I have via forums, without any response.
Whilst I'm here am I the only one who gets angry when our match announcer informs us immediately of how minutes additional time will played when we're attacking or taking a corner as on Saturday? Have some savvy man!!!! I know Paul Tisdale had issues with this at Sid James Park and dealt with it accordingly but I guess if the players and coaching staff are happy with it then so be it...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
meetoo":3i5xpk2v said:
David_Fisher":3i5xpk2v said:

Hurrah..!!! I'm glad somebody is as hacked off with this loud carp as much as my season ticket holding family and I.
This situation absolutely ruins our matchday experience week in, week out :(
In the upper grandstand east we cannot even hold a decent conversation until the ref blows the whistle for the kick off. In my opinion the lack of match atmosphere being built up leads to a damp squib of start and this is especially the case when there is a good away following to have some 'banter' with. Yes I have contacted the club for it to be raised as I have via forums, without any response.
Whilst I'm here am I the only one who gets angry when our match announcer informs us immediately of how minutes additional time will played when we're attacking or taking a corner as on Saturday? Have some savvy man!!!! I know Paul Tisdale had issues with this at Sid James Park and dealt with it accordingly but I guess if the players and coaching staff are happy with it then so be it...

Paul Tisdale had more serious issues to worry about, including his very dodgy Man at Ted Baker clobber, silly hats and cravats! Never seen owt like it. And they gave Steve McLaren stick for his brolly! :coat:

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I vividly remember Peter Risdale saying at a fans meeting in the Mayflower some years ago that he hated Semper being played at HP and that it sounded like circus music! :shock: I can sort of see what he means (I always get reminded of the old 'Grandstand' theme when I hear it) but there are some traditions that are untouchable. Personally, I'd also prefer the 'modern' version to be quietly ditched and something else played instead.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Tisdale, Risdale - what is this all about? Two no marks who have nothing to do with Argyle.

Tradition is great. Other clubs have their old songs which they wouldnā€™t dream of changing. Brighton still have Sussex by the sea, Liverpool with YNWA and many others. Keep Semper, but ditch the new version!