45 years ago tonight | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

45 years ago tonight

Thanks to the Green Bible, it was 45 years ago tonight one of the great matches in relatively recent years was played in the old Division 3 against Blackburn Rovers.

Both teams were flying and nearly 29,000 were at HP to see Argyle win and wow what an atmosphere in the Devonport End that night. Billy Rafferty and Brian Johnson the scorers. Think it took us top.

I am sure there are many on here who will remember it well, it was just an unforgettable night.

Feeling old now.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I remember that night well. Fantastic atmosphere; for some reason, I always remember their centre half, Derek Fazackerley, he was an absolute monster.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A great night. Up there with a few other great night games that season. PNE as well.

Wonderful days, and great attendances. :?

Aug 8, 2013
Yeah, just turned 15, and remember being stunned by the hordes of people in HIgher
Home Park trying to get in. Fantastic atmosphere, and I can still see Brian Johnson's
goal going in.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Blimey, really 45 years ago?

That was one of those occasions when the atmosphere really made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Under the lights, 28,000 supporters packed in, the noise, the excitement and the result. You really - no, really - had to be there to get it. Can remember it like yesterday - it made quite an impression on a 14-year old. Happy days.

Here you go: 34:45 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuR5AgTEU7Q

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
It was my first promotion season. My VERY first full season (67/68) had resulted in relegation and I had to wait seven years for us to get back to where (for me) we started - sound familiar? :doh:

Anyway, that Waiters season was so special. You just couldn't imagine the lads ever being beaten - and the Blackburn game was magnificent. :scarf:

May 5, 2014
I can't believe it was 45 years ago. It was a special night for me as it was the first time I had managed to persuade my wife to go to an Argyle game!! We were living in Barnstaple at the time and had only recently married. What a night, fantastic atmosphere, crowd and result. A night we will never forget. :scarf:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Another Costa Blanca Green here.. Had to literally plead with my boss to let me leave work in Somerset at 4pm. A fortnight before my 19th birthday. Jumped in my old red Triumph Herald and with traffic and parking only just made kick off. Stood half a dozen rows back from the 18 yard line on the Mayflower terrace, Barn Park end. I think we were 2 up with Blackburn's goal coming in the dying minutes. We leapfrogged them to go top but a couple of weeks later thet beat us about 5-2 at Ewood Park to regain top spot. Incredible atmosphere that night with Oh Billy Billy reverberating round the ground.

Dec 3, 2005
davie nine":1fx0ma0n said:
I remember that night well. Fantastic atmosphere; for some reason, I always remember their centre half, Derek Fazackerley, he was an absolute monster.

Would that be the same guy who is 2nd in command at Oxford Utd?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Another one of I was there games, the Devenport end was buzzing the atmosphere electric, and to think the club could hand over the Devenport end the Holy Grail of Home Park to the away supporters is unthinkable.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Great viewing; great memories!

Quite a shock to recall how small the squad was & how, according to quite a few comments, they “just played on” through injury”; Jim Furnell, Bill Green & Billy, Billy Billy Rafferty started every match, as did Paul Mariner except the final game.

And, after such a poor start to the season, what a seminal signing McAuley’s was.