Just Back | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just Back

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Summary from a Col U fan:

That first half was as entertaining a half as I can remember for some time. Going in 3-0 up helps, of course, but Plymouth were very dangerous too and it was a good half of football all round really. They were tidy on the ball but completely all over the place at the back and our pace in attack really tore them apart.

We pressed well, forced their defence into quite a few errors and once the first goal went in they seemed completely rattled. It's fine margins, though - they could easily have scored a couple before we made it 1-0 and it's an entirely different game. If it was 2-2 after about ten minutes or 5-3 at half-time I don't think it would have been surprising.

We scored three, hit the post, hit the bar, had a couple off the line and at least two very good one-on-one chances missed, but Plymouth will wonder how they failed to score. We do play so much better when faced with a side that wants to attack us, we just need to learn how to break down teams like Morecambe who are happy to sit deeper. It's so frustrating that the same side who were so appalling at Cambridge last week can turn it on like the opening 45 today though.

Mar 23, 2008
Hopefully just a blip, sign of a good team is to bounce back quickly and kick on again.

I don’t know how we failed to score just after the U’s scored their first goal. I think it was Moore who did a superb cross across the front of the United goal how or why no one banged it into the net I will never know. If we had scored then it may well have been a different outcome. However, we were well beaten on the day. As a previous poster has said, a bad day at the office.
Apart from the loss the only other dissapointment was the moron who kicked in one of the pitchside hoardings, hopefully the stewards were able to catch up with him.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Three decent chances in the first half, but a very poor overall performance. Really disappointing that the substitutes added nothing at all. Definitely one to forget and move on.

The Bovril was cheap though.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
They were very very good today and deserved the win. We were not good enough when they had the ball and that's the crux of it.

Green army very vocal today, good support.

Zoo

Jan 20, 2004
Their right wing, Harriot, ripped us apart with his pace time and time again. Can't remember ever before looking at the clock after thirty minutes needing half time to come so desperately, so we could regroup.

Sep 2, 2008
Mike E":ti1l3jnx said:
Their right wing, Harriot, ripped us apart with his pace time and time again. Can't remember ever before looking at the clock after thirty minutes needing half time to come so desperately, so we could regroup.

As did the Newport loanee last week. In fact, our left side has been weak for a very long time now and has cost us regularly. I wonder what the stats say about how weak our left side is. It certainly seems as though a lot of teams have noticed it which begs the question, how hasn't our own coaching staff noticed.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pottypilgrim":1coa537h said:
Mike E":1coa537h said:

As did the Newport loanee last week. In fact, our left side has been weak for a very long time now and has cost us regularly. I wonder what the stats say about how weak our left side is. It certainly seems as though a lot of teams have noticed it which begs the question, how hasn't our own coaching staff noticed.

Its not that they haven't noticed it... Its just that, who else are you going to put at LWB whilst McFadzean was out? Cooper was just about the best option but he's a player who cannot defend. Its made Josh Grant look poo when he's been left centre back when he's been overrun and it culminated in Sawyer's sending off when he was left covering a winger who had him on toast as well as his normal duties, with no assistance at all

Sep 2, 2008
up_the_line":1o9yvds6 said:
Pottypilgrim":1o9yvds6 said:
Mike E":1o9yvds6 said:

Its not that they haven't noticed it... Its just that, who else are you going to put at LWB whilst McFadzean was out? Cooper was just about the best option but he's a player who cannot defend.

Byron Moore does an excellent job in that role. Lowe obviously knows that because he has slotted him in there a few times. Cooper needs to be back on the bench. Byron on the left, Joe on the right.

Feb 4, 2020
My immediate concern is that our next rivals will now try to exploit us down d Left side..esp with Sawyer out

I remember seeing Lisle (Wimbledon) utterly destroying Sawyer at HP on a Tues night in March 2018....neither Adams or Lowey hv fundamentally addressed this inherent weakness in Argyle.
And No..this is not spilling d beans to d Opposition..this vulnerability has been common knowledge to other teams for past at least 2 years..

Sep 3, 2009
We were very well beaten today, simple as. Colchester targeted our left side and it worked, in spades.

At times it was attack against defence and they could have had 5 or 6. Yes, we had a couple of great chances in the 1st half but they wasted several good positions to score.

It happens. What is important is what happens next. Another away assignment up north on Tuesday, followed by Crewe at home, who presently appear to be heading for pole position. Snap your hand off now for 4 points to keep us firmly in the mix.

If Colchester can keep that kind of performance going, they won't be far away. Argyle must do better if we're to make the top 3. Lowe will know that and won't dress it up.

COYG

Jul 12, 2016
Andy Maidenhead":1zkhqjp0 said:
My immediate concern is that our next rivals will now try to exploit us down d Left side..esp with Sawyer out

I remember seeing Lisle (Wimbledon) utterly destroying Sawyer at HP on a Tues night in March 2018....neither Adams or Lowey hv fundamentally addressed this inherent weakness in Argyle.
And No..this is not spilling d beans to d Opposition..this vulnerability has been common knowledge to other teams for past at least 2 years..
I agree.This is not a new problem and was the same when DA was Manager. Even the fans know it so it is frustrating that this situation is not being addressed. The absence of Sawyer today should not have made much difference because he often leaves acres of room for the opposing winger to exploit.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Pottypilgrim":rmd6ipbh said:
Mike E":rmd6ipbh said:

I can't find defensive stats but for attacks our left side is the best in League Two and our right side the second worst in the league.
I'm not sure if that can be interpreted as vice versa for the defence.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Just got in after spending the day with a group of Colchester fans. To a man they thought their own team played exceptionally well and sometimes you have to give the opposition due credit. They much prefer teams who have a go at them so they can use pace to counter attack and said where they have struggled is against lower teams like Morecambe who have set up to defend against them. Having said that we were poor and possibly Moore apart nobody came out of the game with any credit. We could easily have been 5 goals adrift at half time.Personally I felt it was a mistake starting with 2 up front as it left us short in midfield.
With only 3,600 home supporters and less than 60 dining in hospitality it brought home to me that we really shouldn't be in this division and need to get out asap.. It was a neat and tidy stadium and the pre match fan zone outside and cafe welcoming both home and away fans was well received but to a man our Colchester hosts said they preferred Layer Road for location and atmosphere where the fans were close to the pitch.
I hope today was just a bad day at the office and we can respond like we did after the Exeter debacle to establish ourselves in the top 3, as they are not a team I would want to face in the play offs.