Stick or twist

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Do you change our formation given out frailties with sawyer out and Wootton being Wootton?

A flat 4 is a possibility given tha C Grant played there a lot under adams.

Mar 14, 2009
Tugboat":n9iyi7tw said:
Do you change our formation given out frailties with sawyer out and Wootton being Wootton?

I’d be surprised if C Grant gets much of a look in between now and end of the season.

I have a sneaky feeling there is a number of “fringe” players he talks positive in the media about but doesn’t have much faith in,

His days, along with many others are numbered.

The squad needs more powerful, fast players. It also needs someone to link up the midfield to the front two.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Metal_Green_Mickey":adi50c5b said:
Tugboat":adi50c5b said:

I’d be surprised if C Grant gets much of a look in between now and end of the season.

I have a sneaky feeling there is a number of “fringe” players he talks positive in the media about but doesn’t have much faith in,

His days, along with many others are numbered.

The squad needs more powerful, fast players. It also needs someone to link up the midfield to the front two.

And whilst I’m no football manager I still fail to see the idea behind having 2 strikers when we struggle in midfield.

Why doesn’t he drop one, put Edwards in midfield and move Mayor up into a free role in the hole behind the lone striker picking up stuff around the edge of the box when the wingbacks get up the flanks and general link up play between CM and final third

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Seeing we just released Riley Moore and ASB I would think a back four unlikely as an option.

Conor Grant did play there but Macfazdean is back now and well ahead of Grant for that position in my view.

Taylor was highly praised by RL post match so assume he may start Tuesday. Conditions are likely to be poor as forecast indicates another gusty wet day.

Expect same defence (all having had benefit of a RL home truth as he said). Macfazdean to start at LWB and flip a coin to partner Taylor between Hardie and Jephcott as Telford not even back on bench yet. Maybe Edwards will be recalled in which case Moore may be considered as foil to Taylor, although Edwards more likely to be used as holding midfielder I think.

Edit to add - on plus side after Salford and Crewe fixtures look a little less awkward in theory anyway although most teams in League 2 are capable of beating any other side.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Tugboat":1uv1i7qw said:

Formation, no. Personnel, YES!
I cant see that Wooton has done a great deal wrong since the first few weeks of the season.
He's a bit cumbersome but he's improved this season and worked hard. IF we go up he won't be a player to move us on again but for the time being, given he was part of V Neck's disaster-defence I say kudos to him for his efforts this season.
What is patently clear is that we cannot go on with Cooper in the LWB slot as his complete dereliction of defensive duties leaves the left centre back having to cover a far bigger zone and has given opposition right wingers a free reign. Not one centre back at the club (including Aimson) is going to look comfortable or controlled in a line up where they have to look after someone else's position too.
Interesting that you mention C Grant. I forgot all about him yesterday when I said that there was no-one other than Cooper who could have gone in at LWB in McFadzean's absence. Now that you mention him, C Grant would have perhaps been a steadier option there against the trickier wingers of Newport and Colchester.
However it seems McFadzean is back now and if he is fully fit then I expect him to play the remainder of the season.

Talking of Connor Grant, I see no reason he couldn't be considered also as a replacement for Bakinson, albeit temporarily, as the lad seems to have run out of steam. The other option here is Edwards, a player who is getting a criminally low amount of game time.

Then we go up top. Its hard to judge given the lack of service yesterday, but I think the Hardie and Jephcott combination is a little too lightweight and perhaps the time has come for a brief cameo from Taylor, maybe not as a goal getter but as the awkward customer opposition centre backs hate to play against who can use a little nouse to create chances for either Hardie or Jephcott, dependent on the opposition... Although once Telford is ready again then for me he is our most dangerous striker and comes into the team

Apr 5, 2008
Need more pace at the back.Soon as any team with fast forwards run at our defence we are hopeless.

Look at yesterday for example.Changing the formation isn’t the answer.

Getting rid of the defence is the answer at the end of the season.All of them too slow and ponderous.

Sep 6, 2006
All this talk about lack of pace. :facepalm: Which goals were the result of that?. It IS the system. If you player with Midfielders who cant wont tackle wing backs who arent defenders and a system opposition teams have worked out i.e.get the ball down the flanks where there is often space and you will at worst be 1.1 then trouble is inevitable against better sides. Add to that 2 hapless centre backs and you can see why could perhaps should have conceded at least 5 or 6 yesterday.

Apr 5, 2008
Well yes include the other problems we have that was shown up yesterday, and this team can forget even the play offs, so rubbish it was yesterday.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It’s more than just a formation. The way we play and the system we have is what gives us continuity from defeat to victory, from good to bad, it’s also been implemented across the playing side of the club at all levels. The system is what will bring long term success. Generally speaking, clubs & managers with a clear, ingrained style of play usually succeed long term and that success outlasts clubs/managers who chop and change personal and system. Tweaks and alterations sure, but the 3142 works and should stay, we just need to try and limit blips like yesterday, which on the most part we have done.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2x1b8o4s said:
All this talk about lack of pace. :facepalm: Which goals were the result of that?. It IS the system. If you player with Midfielders who cant wont tackle wing backs who arent defenders and a system opposition teams have worked out i.e.get the ball down the flanks where there is often space and you will at worst be 1.1 then trouble is inevitable against better sides. Add to that 2 hapless centre backs and you can see why could perhaps should have conceded at least 5 or 6 yesterday.

First goal - long ball from Colchester half to their guy out on the right who got there before the defender, defender fails to close attacker down who crossed to unmarked colleague 10 yards out - goal.

Second goal - their player out wide left collects ball from poor clearance, goes past the defender pretty easily & crosses to unmarked colleague on 6 yard line, free header - goal.

Third goal - Mayor gives ball away, Colchester player puts simple ball to his colleague who goes past Canavan like he's standing still - goal.

Perhaps not all due to pace of running but certainly pace of thought & pace of action.

Sep 6, 2006
David_Fisher":3dj4f3oa said:
Balham_Green":3dj4f3oa said:

First goal - long ball from Colchester half to their guy out on the right who got there before the defender, defender fails to close attacker down who crossed to unmarked colleague 10 yards out - goal.

Second goal - their player out wide left collects ball from poor clearance, goes past the defender pretty easily & crosses to unmarked colleague on 6 yard line, free header - goal.

Third goal - Mayor gives ball away, Colchester player puts simple ball to his colleague who goes past Canavan like he's standing still - goal.

Perhaps not all due to pace of running but certainly pace of thought & pace of action.

Agreed. But also because we are undermanned in wide areas so very easy to get a cross in.

Aug 17, 2005
Before the defeat I was wondering if Macfazdean could play in Sawyers place as that would stop Grant having to fall back into defence. Couldnt find anywhere that said if he had ever played as a centre half but if fit enough still think it could possibly be an answer

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
signalspast":3i9gvsdn said:
Before the defeat I was wondering if Macfazdean could play in Sawyers place as that would stop Grant having to fall back into defence. Couldnt find anywhere that said if he had ever played as a centre half but if fit enough still think it could possibly be an answer

Think he's a bit small?

Wiki says 1.8mtrs which is about 5ft 10 & a bit in old money.

Also not built like the usual 4th tier brick outhouse.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
David_Fisher":1i62c8tb said:
signalspast":1i62c8tb said:

Think he's a bit small?

Wiki says 1.8mtrs which is about 5ft 10 & a bit in old money.

Also not built like the usual 4th tier brick outhouse.

Are you saying Sawyer is?

He’s about half an inch taller than Faz, who is certainly the stockier of the two.