Bradford City
Official website
Width of a Post
The City Gent
Fans Forum
Twitter

The countdown to Bradford

Tuesday

Bradford have won just one game from the last 11 league games, the Bantams started 2020 in fourth place in League Two, six points away from top spot but have since dropped to ninth, four points away from a play-off position. Despite the poor results Bradford have lost just two home games all season, winning 10 and drawing five and haven't lost a league game at Valley Parade since October when Port Vale won 2-1.

Stuart McCall was appointed Bradford manager for a third time at the start of February, succeeding Gary Bowyer, and has already spoken about Saturday's game ...
“We’re playing against a good Plymouth side and we’ll no doubt be underdogs. But we need to win the game so let’s get the fans at Valley Parade back behind us.”
Argyle have played 27 times at Valley Parade, winning nine games, drawing nine and losing nine.

Carl Boyeson is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 62 yellow cards and three reds in 22 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in December 2018 when the Pilgrims won 2-1 at Rochdale. He will be assisted on Saturday by Andrew Dallison and Barry Gordon while the fourth official is Matt Dicicco.

Bradford yesterday sacked winger Tyrell Robinson for committing gross misconduct. The 22-year old had been suspended by the club since August 2018 after allegations of sexual assault, he's now been charged by the police with child sex offences and will appear in court in April.

Bradford City fan Mike Harrison, editor of fanzine The City Gent, has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ....
Q: What are your thoughts on Bradford's season so far?
A: The early season form that saw the Bantams in contention for the top three places in League Two have faded to the point where even finishing in the top 7 for the play-offs isn't looking like it will happen. To say Bradford City fans are disappointed is a massive understatement.

Q: What are your views on the re-appointment of Stuart McCall?
A: For Gary Bowyer his pragmatic tactics which at the start of the season were very effective in gaining points without entertaining the fans. But as the pitches became heavier once autumn to turned to the wet winter that we're having, plus injuries and illnesses especially over Christmas saw his tactics have no plan B. From being hard to beat suddenly the team became pushovers away from home and his time at Valley Parade became untenable given the vitriol shown towards him at sucessive 3-0 away defeats at Mansfield and Oldham. The re-appointment of Stuart McCall after 2 years of being away from Valley Parade has been welcomed by Bradford City fans and I can't think of a better person out there who could come in and bring back the passion that has been sorely missed since his unjust sacking in February 2018.

Q: Given the recent financial problems and ownership issues of lower league clubs are Bradford in a stable state at the moment?
A: We seem to be ok at the moment as we seem to have overcome the troubles we had last season.

Q: Of particular interest to football fans is the £150 cost of a season ticket at Bradford, is this business model still working financially for the club?
A: This season is the 13th year of the discounted season tickets and it still works well for us. I know Plymouth we’re thinking of adopting a similar policy but I don’t think they implemented it. Valley Parade is a big stadium and needs a large crowd of fans to create an atmosphere. Despite relegation last season we are averaging over 14K this season due to the £150 season ticket policy.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League Two for this season?
A: I'd like to think at some point Stuart McCall will be able to find the missing spark that this squad has been capable of producing, but with now just 11 games left to play, the team are going to have to do something they've failed to do for months and this is to string a run of 3 or 4 successive wins together just to get back into play-off contention.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Bradford likely to use against Argyle?
A: At the moment it is not easy to predict how Bradford City will play, they are almost beyond analysis. Stuart McCall is still getting to know the players that he has inherited. He does have a decent 11 players in the squad, it is just a matter of finding out which ones they are.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle?
A: Another club who had a poor season last year and is getting used to being in League Two again. Also, another well supported club that ought to be playing at a higher level, but like Bradford City they have to work hard to earn promotion. I fully expect them to be at least challenging for the play offs at the very least.

Q: Finally do you have a prediction for the game?
A: A rip roaring affair with lots of goals.
------------------------------------------
Bradford have lodged a formal complaint to the FA regarding offensive chanting and abusive language used at the Newport County game last Saturday .... club statement

Wednesday

According to Sky Bet Argyle are favourites to win with odds of 7/5, a Bradford win is placed at 9/5 and the draw is on offer at 11/5.

Bradford have the highest average home attendance in League Two at 14,255, the highest crowd was earlier this month at 17,668 for the visit of Grimsby Town.

Last season in League One 554 Argyle fans made the long trip to Valley Parade.
The 660 mile round trip is the third longest of this season.

In the history of the club Argyle have played just four times on 29 February; winning one game and losing three in the leap years of 1904, 1908, 1964 and 1992.

Green Army Guide to Bradford

Pubs for away fans
Bradford Arms on Manningham Lane is about two minutes from the ground and is welcoming to away fans.
Cartwright Hotel on Manningham Road is 10 minutes from the stadium, also Corn Dolly on Bolton Road is 10 minutes away.
Near to Bradford Forster Square Station on North Parade is the Sparrow Bier Bar. The Record Café on North Parade is on the way to the ground and has a mix of home and away fans. Also on North Parade is the Peacock Bar.

Thursday

Inside Bradford City

Preview of the matchday programme .... Bradford club website

From Ryan Lowe's pre-match press conference..

Match preview ... Bradford club website

Bradford manager Stuart McCall looks ahead to the game ....
"I was at Plymouth’s game at Macclesfield and they took 750 fans. So it wouldn’t surprise me if they are up near the 1,000.
“I always think that when the away team bring a healthy support the home supporters react to that and that's what we are after.
“Plymouth are a footballing side. People tell me they are one of the best sides in the league so it’s a good challenge for us.
“You look at the squad they have got and how Ryan Lowe has moulded them. He has done a fantastic job at this moment in time.
“But we are on our patch and we have got to look back on the last two home games and take some confidence.
“If we can have the Grimsby atmosphere and the Stevenage result, everyone would go home happy.”

Ticket update, pay on the available .... club website

Bradford striker Lee Novak looks ahead to the game .. club website
“Plymouth are quite a big, well-traveled club as well in terms of supporters so hopefully, if they bring quite a few down, the atmosphere should be another good one.”
Friday

Bradford assistant manager Kenny Black gave an update on the Bantams injury situation...
"Paudie O'Connor picked up a knock after Saturday's game and Kurtis Guthrie has got a knock.
"We have two or three that are closer to getting fit but Saturday may come a little too soon because we have been restricted by the weather this week.
"But hopefully we can get enough players and quality on the pitch to cause Plymouth problems."

Bantam Stats

Match preview ... Telegraph and Argus

The Bradford Season

Match preview .... Bradford club website

Argyle fans have snapped 764 tickets

The Bradford guide to Argyle ... Bradford club website

Preview video from Argyle ..... club website

Saturday

Bradford assistant manager Kenny Black talks about the game ... Bradford club website
“In the four games we have played, we have taken just one point after taking the lead first.
“It is something we need to be conscious of and we need to be stronger when going in front, to be able to take three points."

Bradford Archives

Bradford announce a cautionary pitch inspection at 10.30am.

There will be another pitch inspection at 1pm. A video of the first pitch inspection .... Twitter

The referee has given the game the go ahead.

Team line-up ...

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
"A rip roaring affair with lots of goals", a game for the fans and how football should be played. Bring it on.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That claim of 14,000 average is a silly one.

Whenever you see Valley Parade on telly, it has far less people than that in it, and I mean far lower. I've been to about 4/5 games there since they've adopted that and I think the target crowd I saw was about 10,000 (if that).

I think they have loads and loads of people who buy those tickets and don't attend many of the games.

IJN":3lprka23 said:
That claim of 14,000 average is a silly one.

Whenever you see Valley Parade on telly, it has far less people than that in it, and I mean far lower. I've been to about 4/5 games there since they've adopted that and I think the target crowd I saw was about 10,000 (if that).

I think they have loads and loads of people who buy those tickets and don't attend many of the games.

I have often wondered how gates are actually measured, it seems to be a bit of a dark science some times. Is it the number of tickets sold or is it actual clicks through the turnstiles? If its a revenue thing, number of actual tickets sold seems relevant. If its a H&S thing, number of clicks seems more relevant. Most season ticket holders miss one or two games but are they still counted? Are Corporates included, at most grounds they don't go through turnstiles? Arsenal is a good example, they normally report around 58/60 k attendances even when you can see large swathes of empty seats.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I would estimate taking into account, season ticket holders who live some distance away, younger ticket holders, holidays and other commitments, less attractive opposition in poor weather etc. that the average season ticket holder would probably miss 4 games a season minimum, some 1 or 2 and some half a dozen. If 6,000 attended an average of 19 games it inflates our crowds by several hundred for some games and more like a thousand for less attractive games. In the last 7 or 8 years though it seems to be the norm that the number of tickets sold is given rather than the number through the turnstiles as in years gone by.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
PlymouthCasual":25cqq7k3 said:
Any idea of current ticket sales for this one? Hoping for another four figure display from the GA

I hope you mean 5 figure.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
GTTB Resurgam":3lwzyp4w said:
GreenThing":3lwzyp4w said:
PlymouthCasual":3lwzyp4w said:
Any idea of current ticket sales for this one? Hoping for another four figure display from the GA

I hope you mean 5 figure.

You reckon we'll take 10,000+ to Bradford? :wave:

Oops, I was thinking home game. :)

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Funny club Bradford - regardless of whether 4000 season ticket holders dont turn up each game, their home support has always been pretty good, at least since Valley Parade was revamped after the fire, but I've never thought their away support was all that good, considering their home gates and the size of the city. I remember going to a 5th round FA cup tie some years ago at Portsmouth - ironically the same day Argyle were at Man City and took 6,000. I think only around 2,000 Bradford fans turned up which I thought at the time was poor, considering it was when the FA cup was massive and they were playing a higher division team. I'm sure Argyle will take over 1,000 to Bradford this weekend, which will be about 3 x the number who made the opposite trip last November. Obviously our form helps, but I also recall us taking decent numbers there a couple of years back when we were bottom of League 1 under DA...........

Dec 23, 2005
The weather in Bradford could be a little concerning - Forecast for lots of rain on Friday, as well as Saturday morning. Let's hope the weather doesn't get in the way!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I see McCall is trying to generate some passion from the home fans by talking about the big turn out expected from Argyle. Says he’s expecting about a thousand GA. Seems his honeymoon period is over, judging by comments on their pages. No clean sheet in seven games, so confidence is low. An early goal from Argyle will see their crowd get restless.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Cornishman":10kxnz6i said:
The weather in Bradford could be a little concerning - Forecast for lots of rain on Friday, as well as Saturday morning. Let's hope the weather doesn't get in the way!

Their pitch is dreadful. A postponement really wouldn’t be surprising.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Site Manager":1lce123b said:
“Plymouth are quite a big, well-traveled club as well in terms of supporters so hopefully, if they bring quite a few down, the atmosphere should be another good one.”
Geography not his strong point. :D

Keepitgreen":2inc79px said:
Site Manager":2inc79px said:
Geography not his strong point. :D

Aah, but northerners have a different view of up and down where the UK is concerned. My northern friends will talk about going ‘up to London’, so it’s quite consistent they would refer to Argyle fans ‘coming down’ to Bradford. It’s a funny old world.